Wiki Posts
Search

4 Seasons - Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
4 Seasons - Seattle

I am headed off to Seattle for a quick trip.. Just booked a room at the Four Seasons Seattle. Seems to be a nice property. How does it compare to other Four Seasons properties? Any recos to stay there or is there another hotel that might be better?

Last edited by Wonderboynyc; Jul 11, 2010 at 4:14 pm Reason: correction
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
I prefer the Olympic Hotel.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: american advantage, hyatt gold passport, SPG, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors,Priority Club
Originally Posted by Wonderboynyc
I am headed off to Seattle for a quick trip.. Just booked a room at the 4 Seasons Seattle. Seems to be a nice property. How does it compare to other 4 Seasons properties? Any recos to stay there or is there another hotel that might be better?
I LOVED THE ROOM....it is gorgeous, modern, sleek, light woods....a great and gordeous lobby....nice but small gym with an amazing view of the bay....a block from the piike's market....across the street from the seattle museum of art...two blocks from the train which goes to the airport...a gorgeous bar and restaurant...nice but small pool and jacuzzi deck...beautiful at sunset..OMG...i loved it
susanna
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:07 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The OP may also wish to consider the Hotel 1000. By booking through a Virtuoso agent, you would be eligible for the following additional benefits:

-Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
-Daily Continental breakfast for up to two in room guests served in the restaurant
-A $50USD Food and Beverage credit once per stay
-A Seattle Welcome Amenity

Hopefully the OP booked the Four Seasons Seattle through a Preferred Partner agency to receive the following additional benefits:

-Daily full American breakfast for two through In-Room Dining or in the hotel restaurant (including buffets)
-Lunch for two once during stay (up to USD85, excluding gratuity and alcohol)
-Upgrade of one category, based on availability at time of check-in (excluding signature suites and villas)

Enjoy your trip to Seattle!!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I stayed one night at the Four Seasons Seattle in April, and enjoyed the Virtuoso amenities (the lunch credit, the upgrade). I felt the experience was a solid one, but not thrilling or memorable in any particular way. No memorable public spaces in the hotel. Fine food, fine spa, fine gym, but nothing really stood out that would make me rave about this as a great, 5-star hotel. It was proficient, solid, but dull. I'd certainly stay there again if the price were right and I were in town on business, but it's not worth any significant premium above what you'd pay for other options in Seattle.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks

For the advice. It was a toss up between Hotel 1000 and Four Season. Given the expected nice weather, I opted for the Four Season to enjoy the view by the pool.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Nice stay here...
Booked via Amex PTS for 3 nights at $315 a night for a superior room, with the third night free.

Took the Light rail in from the airport to the University Street stop. 2 Blocks downhill to the hotel.

Arrived about 11 AM. Upon check in I saw a rate noted as $365. I showed the check-in gal my confirmation, and she said that she would look into it. I received a piece of paper outlining our FHR benefits. 4 PM checkout, room upgrade (into the partial bay view room; a 2 category upgrade), breakfast each morning in the lounge or room (noted to be for $26 value/ person; exclusive of gratuity) and $100 of Food and beverage credit (also noted to be exclusive of taxes, gratuity and alcohol). Noted that the room wasn't ready yet, but offer for luggage storage and a call to my cell phone when the room was ready (and for housekeeping to expedite).

Left the luggage, went and had a crepe at Pike's place. Location was excellent; close to Pike's place and Pacific place. We're Seattle castaways so spent most of our time visiting our old haunts...

I received a call about 45 minutes later that the room was ready. Partial bay view on the 10th floor. One level upgrade from my city view. Nice contemporary decor. Comfy bed. Nice bathroom; deep deep soaking tub. Shower with a rainfall head; water pressure was a little disappointing.

On the second day of our stay we decided to bag our trip to Oregon and spend 3 additional days in Seattle. I called AMEX PTS who made all the arrangements; an additional third night free. We didn't receive an additional $100 F and B credit (but we weren't expecting to get it either).

We used the spa a number of occasions: very nice services; better priced during the week (Tue/Wed/THurs; closed Fri). The pool area was nice; however the weather didn't really cooperate (it seems to be rare in Seattle to have cooperation). We did use the hot tub on a number of occasions. We actually used the exercise area every day; I had forgotten my shorts so I borrowed some from the hotel.

Daily breakfast was nice; however, after 6 days it did get a little old I must say. We used both room service and the restaurant. We didn't use all of the F&B credit; but it seemed that happy hour was nice with the AYCE cheese bar.

All and all a nice stay. Location was excellent. We walked to Pikes Place a lot; and spent a lot of time walking around town. We hit a number of our favorite restaurants (Serafina, Aqua verde, Chandler's, Fu Man etc) and used a combination of public transport (SLUT, light rail) and zipcar. I debated between the Hotel 1000 and FS and am glad that we stayed at the FS.

Of note, even though the FHR letter stated that the breakfasts were exclusive of gratuity; all the breakfast charges were taken off (including room service fees, gratuity).

FDW
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Having stayed at both the Seattle Four Seasons and Fairmont Olympic, I would say that it is something of a tie. The location and lobby are really well done at the Olympic, the Four Seasons rooms and food are very good. Realative to other four seasons in US cities, I would say that Seattle is fine, but not as strong as Chicago or New York. Though I must emphasize that I stayed there when they first opened.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, starwood fanatic
four seasons seattle, LOUD doors

The four season hotel is a beautiful hotel. We had the partial bay view room over looking the pool. Location is great, bed is to die for, huge TV, amazing bathroom, staff are amazing. I had two big issues at this hotel.

One, house keeping called our room during the day when the do not disturb sign was out to see if we needed anything. It still confuses the hell out of me as to why they would call. Maybe they didn't want to knock because the do not disturb sign was out but calling is no different. Do not disturb means just that.

Two, the biggest issue. The doors. This is without a doubt the loudest hotel I have ever stayed at. Everytime a door closed it sounded like a bag of sand with a bag of scrap metal attached to it was thrown at our wall. To make matters worse the hotel staff have to take the stairs and that requires the constant banging of the stairwell door at the end of the hall. House keeping doesn't drag big carts down the hall so they are in and out of each room all afternoon long. To me, it was a nightmare.

Amazing hotel, however we stayed there for some rest and relaxation which was very difficult to get with the doors making so much noise. I mentioned the doors being so disruptive to our stay at check out and I received a sorry. Fix the door issue and I cant imagine staying anywhere else. With the door issue I wouldn't return at $100.00 a night better yet $300.00 + $39.00 for parking +_internet fees
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA & VS
Originally Posted by Dirk1609
The four season hotel is a beautiful hotel. We had the partial bay view room over looking the pool. Location is great, bed is to die for, huge TV, amazing bathroom, staff are amazing. I had two big issues at this hotel.

One, house keeping called our room during the day when the do not disturb sign was out to see if we needed anything. It still confuses the hell out of me as to why they would call. Maybe they didn't want to knock because the do not disturb sign was out but calling is no different. Do not disturb means just that.

Two, the biggest issue. The doors. This is without a doubt the loudest hotel I have ever stayed at. Everytime a door closed it sounded like a bag of sand with a bag of scrap metal attached to it was thrown at our wall. To make matters worse the hotel staff have to take the stairs and that requires the constant banging of the stairwell door at the end of the hall. House keeping doesn't drag big carts down the hall so they are in and out of each room all afternoon long. To me, it was a nightmare.
I just returned from a 5 night stay yesterday and had none of the issues you state above
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I've stayed at the new Seattle FS hotel on two occasions and have been pleased. It is a new property, and the rooms are very contemporary. I felt very comfortable in my room. The bathroom was crisp (in a good way) as well.

The lobby spaces are only ok, and perhaps the bar and restaurant are a bit too small for the property. I had none of the door slamming issues that Dirk recounted.

I haven't stayed at the Fairmont since it was the Four Seasons - but like the new FS much better. Against that, the now-Fairmont is one of the best "grande dame" hotels left in the US. If you are seeking that sort of experience, you will enjoy the Fairmont better.

I've only been in the lobby of the 1000 for a drink but wasn't impressed. If you told me i was in a Hilton, I wouldn't have disputed it.

Last edited by NYBanker; Feb 22, 2011 at 8:26 pm Reason: Clarification on door slamming.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:18 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
FS lost the contract to operate the Olympic because the University (which owns it) wasn't happy with the operating standards, and awarded it to Fairmont with the proviso that it had to be better run (making it the best Fairmont in the world). Really no contest between the 2, Olympic is a nicer building though without the new technology, and run to more expensive standards than the FS, and it shows.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, starwood fanatic
I cant believe no one else has noticed these doors. Very surprising! Our most recent stay aside, the doors are the only issue the hotel has.
Stayed again this weekend. Great staff, nice looking rooms, noisy doors. This time we had house keeping clean our room with the do not disturb sign on the door. We came back from lunch with the do not disturb sign still in the lock however the room had been cleaned. They did call the room first and leave a VM, that would be disturbing the room, then they completely ignored the sign and entered. That to me is a complete violation or our privacy. When I asked the assistant manager about this, they stated it was hotel policy. Really? It was stated by the asst. that many times guests forget to remove the do not disturb sign then they return to their unclean room and are upset. To me the do not disturb sign means just that. Unless its an emergency you do not bother the room. No calls, no knocking, do not disturb. I will never return to this hotel.

Last edited by Dirk1609; Mar 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Just got back from FS Seattle and would like to give a brief report since one has not been done in some time.

Booking
Completed via FSPP agent. We booked 3 rooms for 6 people + 2 infants in celebration of a milestone birthday in the family. City-View Room rate @ $405 per night with a 3rd night free promo.

I asked for a few birthday and infant-related special requests via my FSPP agent, who relayed them to the hotel sales manager. The hotel sales manager in turn copied one of the assistant managers and the concierge team. I received confirmation through my FSPP agent that my requests were handled, and that the hotel graciously confirmed a 2-category upgrade to Deluxe Bay View Rooms for the entire party.

Pre-Arrival
I waited until T-30 hours and still no pre-arrival contact (though in fairness I handled most of what I needed during booking). I reached out to the concierge team and asked to confirm my special requests as well as get some dining suggestions.

I was sent a very brief email back with a short list of restaurants, but no detailed explanations or opinions. This was one of the weaker pre-arrival communications I've had.

Arrival
We arrived 1 hour before check-in time and valet parked 2 cars with tons of luggage to be split up 3 ways. The valet/bell desk was very accommodating with our large volume of stuff, and let the front desk know that we were there.

As I walked up to the front desk, I was greeted by name even before I opened my mouth. Among FS properties, I have only ever experienced this at Georges V (private car transfer), Miami (valet desk), and of course Tented Camp (private car transfer).

We were told our rooms were not quite ready yet, but completed the check-in paperwork anyway. Our rooms were ready exactly 1 hour later, as promised.

Rooms
We were booked in rooms 920, 921, and 902, all deluxe bay-view rooms. Of those rooms, 920 was the largest and had the best layout, followed by 902, then 921. The difference was not much, but it was noticeable.

All x02 and x20 rooms are corner rooms with wrap around windows and lots of light. No matter what your room category, I would ask for a room on floors 8-10. Any lower floors will be partially obstructed by the smokestacks adjacent to the hotel and/or the Public Storage building next to it.

Decor is contemporary and features blonde woods, white leather, beige fabrics, and chrome trim. It's somewhat European in design, though it didn't really wow me as much as it wowed some other posters here.

Bathrooms are very well done and feature an in-mirror TV, deep soaking tub, very large shower with rain showerhead, and separate WC. Only complaint is the single vanity instead of double.

F&B

With our FSPP package we had full breakfast (up to $26 per person) included everyday, and a $50 F&B credit.

Daily breakfast buffet was meager, but high quality. It was basically a carb-fest with only a little cured/smoked meat and cheese. No eggs or hot meats. I ordered from the menu and found the food to be varying in quality depending on the day (and presumably who is in the kitchen).

I requested a traditional Japanese breakfast the first day, and was told they don't offer that. I requested it again on the second day with another server and she said they could do it with an hour's notice so they could prep everything properly.

Overall breakfast was very average, though service was typically strong.

We tried the AYCE cheese bar (offered daily from 4pm - 10pm). For $14 this has to be one of the best values at any FS property anywhere. The bar features about 8 local interesting cheeses, 2 cured meats, crackers, bread, dried fruit, and really amazing olives. Obviously the hope is that you order a few of the $14 cocktails on top of the cheese bar, and we happily obliged.

The bar features seasonal in-house crafted cocktails similar to George V and a few other flagship FS properties. We tried a total of 4 of their seasonal offerings and found them all to be really excellent - decidedly better than the cocktails at other USA FS properties.

Concierge
Typically, the concierge desk is a FS property's strongest suit. For me, it has been the primary reason I select Four Seasons properties throughout my travels. Unfortunately, the concierge at FS Seattle is not one of the better ones I've experienced. The service is a bit robotic, and you get the feeling they recommend the exact same 10 places to everyone. The few special requests I had were executed, but were not done timely or with any finesse. On one request, I had to call back twice to make sure it was done.

That said, of the 5 dining recommendations they gave us 4 were excellent. The 5th was really mediocre and I'm not sure why they would have sent us there.

Fitness/Pool/Spa
The 4th floor outdoor pool is an interesting design choice given Seattle's overcast and rainy reputation. Still, it is a nice space with proper pool service and snacks.

The fitness room is very small but well equipped. In lieu of the full bottles of water one usually finds at FS gyms, this one had ice water from a dispenser and gatorade in a pitcher.

I did not use the Spa, so I cannot comment. The prices I saw on the rate card looked to be fairly reasonable by FS standards.

Summary
Overall, I am glad we chose the FS. We visited the Olympic and didn't care for the location as much as the FS. It was also a bit too "old dame" in design - but not in the amazing George V kind of way...just in the 100 year old property kind of way. Also visited the Hotel 1000 and found the location to be more or less similar to the FS, albeit 1 block further from the bay. The 1000 seems much smaller in scale and much more bold in design - almost like a W property. The restaurant BOKA was quite delicious and fairly priced.

With a 3rd night free promo and FSPP benefits, I can't imagine a better choice among the luxury hotel scene in Seattle than Four Seasons. If you're just doing a 1 or 2 night stay with no free night, you may wish to consider other options to get maximum value.

The FS is certainly one of the best in the local market, but it's not likely to wow you like some other FS properties might.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:14 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

we stayed 3 nights last year with the 3rd night free and decided to spend another 3 nights and skip a trip to Oregon... For Seattle, it's a great choice... Nice location (especially if you like the Market or the Lusty Lady)...

It's surprising to me that a Pacific NW FS doesn't have a Japanese breakfast... after six nights, the breakfast options started to wear thin (there also wasn't a buffett option). I rather liked the outdoor pool deck, though it is a curious decision... I love sitting in a hot tub when it's a bit cool out...

Did you try the chocolate place? I thought it was pretty good also.

Where did the concierge recommend for dinner?

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.