Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo - perfect length of trip and other questions???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Hi
Am thinking of vising Amanpulo over Xmas this year and tempted to stay for 12-14 days since travelling with young children (2 x 4 year olds and an 18 month old) and i find shorter trips often end up feeling like more hassle than they are worth hence thining about a longer stay! Is this too long - will we/the kids get bored. I personally have infinite capacity for sitting on a sun lounger reading books, and my husband will windsurf/sail/waterski/play tennis etc happily for days on end, but I am concerned about the lack on structured kids club etc and wonder whether the children may start to get antsy. My plan is to get a babysitter to watch over the children for probably approx 4-5 hours a day so we have some time to ourselves, but wouldn't want the children shoved in front of a TV for that time. Can anyone share their experiences of young children at the Amanpulo.
Also, does anyone know what "freebies" you get there - in the Amanpuri i remember a complimentary tea each day plus assorted other snacks etc....when budgeting it's useful to know whether every time one of the children expresses hunger i'm going to have to be forking out £££££ to order something in the restaurant.
Finally, i no longer have a plat amex card - is there any way of getting any extras at the Amanpulo otehr than booking through Amex?
Thanks for any help
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by cadogan1
Hi
Am thinking of vising Amanpulo over Xmas this year and tempted to stay for 12-14 days since travelling with young children (2 x 4 year olds and an 18 month old) and i find shorter trips often end up feeling like more hassle than they are worth hence thining about a longer stay! Is this too long - will we/the kids get bored. I personally have infinite capacity for sitting on a sun lounger reading books, and my husband will windsurf/sail/waterski/play tennis etc happily for days on end, but I am concerned about the lack on structured kids club etc and wonder whether the children may start to get antsy. My plan is to get a babysitter to watch over the children for probably approx 4-5 hours a day so we have some time to ourselves, but wouldn't want the children shoved in front of a TV for that time. Can anyone share their experiences of young children at the Amanpulo.
Also, does anyone know what "freebies" you get there - in the Amanpuri i remember a complimentary tea each day plus assorted other snacks etc....when budgeting it's useful to know whether every time one of the children expresses hunger i'm going to have to be forking out £££££ to order something in the restaurant.
Finally, i no longer have a plat amex card - is there any way of getting any extras at the Amanpulo otehr than booking through Amex?
Thanks for any help
The longest I ever stayed at Amanpulo was 8 nights, but I could have stayed longer. It is a supremely relaxing place - the beaches alone make you want to stay forever. Cannot comment about kids, but the service for children at Pulo is probably one of the best amongst the Amans, so I would not worry.

Aman always factor in a few freebies - they vary from resort to resort. Also, repeat guests and Amanjunkies tend to get little extras.

Generally, food at Amans is not punitively expensive, especially for kids. The chef will normally prepare special meals for them at very reasonable rates.

Best thing to do is contact the GMs before you go - Nicholas and Christine Juett.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sigh @ having to do quotes manually because of locked aman thread...
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
* dont recall this amanpulo offer being posted, ends oct 31 [2009, extended to dec 15]
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...w.aspx?id=1670
confirmed upgrade from treetop casita to beach casita (worth $175/nt)
$65pppd for breakfast + dinner
(could also see it as $40 discount and free meals)
(compared to $211.50pppd for romance package with all-inclusive food)
Amanjunkie says romance package is more than full board >

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
This is one of the reasons why I would definitely recommend the "Romance at Amanpulo" package, especially if you can stay for at least five nights, and you aren't doing one of the diving packages. The fact that it included all meals worked out very well for us, as we could order whatever dishes we wanted, however many we wanted, even the more expensive ones like Wagyu ribeye and the bouillabaisse, and it was all inclusive. This allowed us to sample quite a variety of the food selections, and they were very flexible on when you had your meals, or if you had two lunches instead of breakfast and lunch. We didn't end up eating three meals each day, but we certainly made up for any missed meals with the ones that we did have, and there weren't any food items on our final bill, even when we ordered snacks by the pool in between meals. It worked out to be a great deal for us.
current romance package is +$211.50pppd / +$232pppd

doh - "Offer is not applicable during Christmas and New Year (15 Dec 09 - 10 Jan 2010)"

was just looking at FSLG ayurvedic, its not that much more than amanpulo romance (~$100pppd max) and includes tons of spa treatments etc, but also doesnt seem to be offered over XMAS/NYE... but they do have mealplans.. if amanpulo wont do a meals package, might be worth considering somewhere with one. carrier.co.uk for example also often offers free meal plans or meal plan upgrades at some resorts that are well regarded here.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2010 at 9:53 am
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:19 am

sigh @ having to do quotes manually because of locked aman thread...

Amanjunkie says romance package is more than full board >

current romance package is +$211.50pppd / +$232pppd

doh - "Offer is not applicable during Christmas and New Year (15 Dec 09 - 10 Jan 2010)"

was just looking at FSLG ayurvedic, its not that much more than amanpulo romance (~$100pppd max) and includes tons of spa treatments etc, but also doesnt seem to be offered over XMAS/NYE... but they do have mealplans.. if amanpulo wont do a meals package, might be worth considering somewhere with one. carrier.co.uk for example also often offers free meal plans or meal plan upgrades at some resorts that are well regarded here.
Not terribly impressed with FSLG Ayurvedic - it's not as authentic as I expected, although some 4-hands treatments are very good. More Hindu than Vedic IMHO, but I guess most won't notice....
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow... that seems surprising from FS? or did they somehow pick the wrong person for that spa / program?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:30 am

wow... that seems surprising from FS? or did they somehow pick the wrong person for that spa / program?
Ayurvedic is a tough one to do properly. They are doing some things very well in the spa, just not everything. Generally that resort needs lots of time to smooth things out - it is not as 'finished' as most people think.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:12 am

Will be staying at Amanpulo end of June for 8 nights. I know it's their 'rainy season', so what can I expect in terms of weather? Since it's outside the monsoon belt, showers are short and scattered? Anyone been during this time of the year? Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:17 pm

I recommend anyone planning a trip to Amanpulo (if you tweet) to follow @gallivanters tweets over the next few days. They are due to arrive there quite soon and will no doubt have lots of up to the minute information.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Spent a couple of weeks there last year. I enjoy tennis and diving so I would have been happy there for a month. Beaches are fantastic. If you want some extras for the kids, I would just call/email and ask. Usually they're accomodative within reason, but might be tougher with Christmas season. There are not a lot of kid only activities, but a baby sitter can keep them happy at the pool.
Old May 10, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Was there last year in early June - rained all but one day. That wasn't a huge issue for me (diving and spa'ing can be done, rain or shine), but could be for others. There was a monsoon in the area and that impacted the weather quite a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.