Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago...where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some
Chicago...where to stay?

I'm helping my parents to find a hotel for their upcoming 3 night sightseeing visit to Chicago. This will be their first visit (they are from Holland) so location and (possibly) views are important. Also important is price: they want to keep the overall cost to no more than about US$300 per night. This leaves three options:

Park Hyatt (315)
Trump (275)
Ritz-Carlton Four Seasons (297 with a 'buy 2 get 3' promotion) (I don't really like the pictures of this hotel but the views are very good, as, I would imagine would be the service)

Unfortunately Elysian, although it has a 'buy 2 get 3 nights' promotion doesn't seem to have that for their dates (May 31-June 3) ...nor does the Peninsula (which they love staying at in Bangkok).

Any other options at this level?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:39 pm

I did have a rather splendid stay at the Park Hyatt, a couple of months ago... in the depths of winter, when the hotel was almost deserted... The service was impressively sharp - and the complimentary car service, & breakfast in NoMi, with a window table overlooking the lake, were all that such things should be. Staff were excellent at remembering names, and Karen, the chief concierge, fairly delighted in getting the 'impossible' reservation... A full hotel might take the edge off that excellence - but still, if you can get a confirmed upgrade to the Water Tower view rooms, on a high floor, there are few better views in Chicago - looking out to Water Tower Place, and the lake. Based on my experience, I'd definitely recommend it.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Luxury wrote a terrific report a few months ago which compared various luxury hotels in Chicago. I am certain that you will find his thread to be very useful.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
hate the Park Hyatt..

Love FS Chicago (newly renovated rooms)

Love Peninsula
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If one of both of your parents are smokers, be aware that the Trump is a 100% nonsmoking property.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
FS Ritz Carlton is hands down the best on your list.

Pen is overall best in Chi but the FS RC is not far behind.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Luxury wrote a terrific report a few months ago which compared various luxury hotels in Chicago. I am certain that you will find his thread to be very useful.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html
I second the recommendation to check out luxury's reviews.

You may already be aware of these promotions, but figured I'd mention them just in case:

Park Hyatt -- Stay 2, Get 1 Free via American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts. Valid for stays through April 30. Rate also includes: Daily breakfast; $100 food/beverage credit; Upgrade at check-in, if available; Guaranteed 4:00pm checkout. The catch? Your parents must have an AmEx Platinum or Centurion Card in order to book the rate.

Park Hyatt -- Stay 2, Get 1 Free via Virtuoso. Valid for stays through March 31. No specific form of payment required, but it would need to be booked via a Virtuoso agent. There are several across the country, including a few on Flyertalk. DavidO is a crowd favorite. Virtuoso rates include: Upgrade upon arrival; Daily breakfast for 2; Complimentary lunch for 2 (up to $85 value).

Peninsula -- Stay 2, Get 1 Free via Virtuoso. Valid for stays through March 31. Virtuoso rates include: Upgrade upon arrival; Daily breakfast for 2; $50 food/beverage credit; 4:00pm checkout, if available.

Ritz Carlton (a Four Seasons Hotel) -- Since the Four Seasons Preferred Partner amenity link is not working at the moment, I'll make mention that bookings made via a Four Seasons Preferred Partner agent receive: Upgrade, if available, at check-in; Daily full breakfast; Lunch for 2 (up to $85 value).
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
Thanks everyone, for your replies and the link to that useful comparison.
Most promos seem to be over by the time my parents arrive (late May), but I'll keep looking...
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Let me second (or perhaps third) the nom for The Peninsula. It's just a really classic property, with a staff that goes above & beyond. Great location too.

RC isn't chopped liver either, but I'm not a fan of their decor. Also, their common areas aren't as grand (in scale or design) as The Pen.

BN
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
Let me second (or perhaps third) the nom for The Peninsula. It's just a really classic property, with a staff that goes above & beyond. Great location too.

RC isn't chopped liver either, but I'm not a fan of their decor. Also, their common areas aren't as grand (in scale or design) as The Pen.

BN
Pen. I still think it is one of the best city hotels in the US.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by ACfly
hate the Park Hyatt..

Love FS Chicago (newly renovated rooms)

Love Peninsula
I'm the opposite, I have had much better experiences at the PH, then the FS...but I have heard their new rooms are very nice.

Either way, you may want to contact DavidO here at FT, or if you work with a Virtuoso agent to book this trip. It will get them some nice perks and hopefully an upgrade to a nicer room/view.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I've stayed at the RC and the room was sensational... the hotel left a bit to be desired... But it was in the middle of renovations... Was really lacking in common areas..

Rooms were very well appointed, and the views were spectacular!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.