Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip to India

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:24 am

For all first time visitors to India I would recommend avoiding travelling long distance by car. It is very different from car travel in other countries and might be a little overwhelming for your first visit. As the earlies replies said - take it easy and do not try to cover the whole country as it is quite vast and every part has its own charm. Taj Mahal is a must do if you are coming to India. Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaipur are well connected by air and have some of the best hotels in the world.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I think we will only visit the Taj Mahal if we can extend the trip for another couple of days. I've seen that you can fly to Agra from Delhi on Kingfisher. We will definitely go to the Aman Delhi and Amanbagh. The difficult choice is between Aman-i-khas and the Rambagh Palace. Totally different I know. Oh to have unlimited holidays!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:01 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I believe a visit to the Taj Mahal is essential for a first visit to India. What if you never make it back? Same with the tigers, but I'm a nature lover.

If you like the amans, here is a suggested itinerary based on our trip. I think the transfers were very easy. No travel agent required. Aman pretty much arranged everything, with Oberoi taking ownership of the last bit.

1 ni aman Delhi
(train to aman-i-khas)
4 ni aman-i-khas
(drive to amanbagh)
3 ni amanbagh
(drive to oberoi amarvilas)
1 ni amarvilas
(drive to delhi airport for midnight flight)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
How stressful would it be to be picked up at Delhi aiport from a very early BA arrival (5am I think) and be driven straight to Agra to the Oberoi. Spend one night there, so that we get to see the Taj Mahal, and then back to Delhi for the 3 Aman experience?
HUGELY stressful, I promise. Don't even think of it.

I would also be very careful about flying to Agra as it is one of the most cancelled Kingfisher flights I know - so much so that I have never managed to do it - cancelled every time. Equally, driving there is normally a nightmare and, at times, can be really scary, especially when you get trucks driving straight towards you on the wrong side of the dual carriageway.

Take the early morning Shathabi Express from Delhi if you must go to Agra on your first trip, but for me, 1 night at The Oberoi Amarvilas is much too short. Agra deserves more time and so does The Oberoi Amarvilas, which is a beautiful hotel.

Addressing some of the other comments brought up, I would not class Jaipur in the same context as Delhi. Yes, it is a town, but not a big town, and if you stay at The Rambagh (I only say this because I think The Oberoi Rajvilas rooms and suites are looking rather tired these days), then you have acres of green lawns, peacocks and peacefulness, so nothing like the normal Delhi experience.

There will always be things you wished you had seen or stayed at on an India trip, but the best way of enjoying it is to limit yourself to a handful of hotels and locations. Otherwise, it is a very tiring blur.

The Aman India experience is certainly a thought, although having experienced the safari options in Madhya Pradesh, Ranthambhore and Aman-i-Khas seem very tame and nowhere near as lush in comparison.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re taj mahal, it isnt going anywhere is it?
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I would also be very careful about flying to Agra as it is one of the most cancelled Kingfisher flights I know - so much so that I have never managed to do it - cancelled every time.

Take the early morning Shathabi Express from Delhi if you must go to Agra
sigh @ transportation. oberoi aviation starts at ~$1K/hr, but 2 hr min, and positioning charge. they and taj/deccan/etc all seem set up for daytrips or keeping the plane with you for whole trip. not point to point. huh, this mentions $1K per person per sector for greaves? > http://www.strategicvision.org/ne/La...al-5-26-09.doc

vuittonsofstyle, have you explored VIP airport services in india?
Originally Posted by jkirk
Out to the domestic airport early the next morning for a scheduled 9:30 Kingfisher flight to Jaipur. Turned out to be the beginning of a long run of foggy weather in the area and DEL was all but shut down. Ended up spending 9 hours in the airport before our flight finally departed - it was getting dark when we finally landed in JAI. Had called ahead to Aman-i-Khas at around noon to see if we should reconsider travel plans but they urged against making the drive to the property and said trains were busted out. Aman-i-Khas was waiting for us upon landing - feel bad that he had spent the day there - and we did the 3:45 drive to Aman-i-Khas in darkness. We didn't know enough to be as nervous as we rightfully should have been about sharing those small roads with the truck traffic at night.

Arrived at Aman-i-Khas at around 9:30pm.
in a situation like that, are there any options?

Originally Posted by Groombridge
I booked the Aman India Journey through David O and Peirce & Leslie and got a rate that is at least $1000 less expensive than the published rate for the Aman India Journey.
(plus virtuoso benefits)
Originally Posted by Ericka
IMPERIAL – Delhi (Virtuoso), 1 night
AMAN-I-KHAS – Ranthambhore Park (Camp & Oasis, Virtuoso), 5 nights
AMANBAGH – Alwar Region (Camp & Oasis, Virtuoso), 5 nights
OBEROI AMARVILAS – Agra (Virtuoso), 2 nights
Originally Posted by jkirk
[aman-i-khas]-Advertised virtuoso amenitiy of a champagne brunch lakeside was not possible as there seems to be some sort of dispute over the lake with a neighboring property. G offered, and we accepted instead, a camel ride to the top of a nearby hill (covered in ruins) where we enjoyed a bottle of Roderer as the sun set. Fantastic. Guests are still free to walk down to the lake however - afternoons it's possible to spot one of the two crocs in residence.

-Aman graciously agreed to combine virtuoso amenities with their "camp and oasis" package so in addition to the virtuoso amenity described above we had one of our safari outings comped as well as comped massages.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 18, 2010 at 8:52 am
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re taj mahal, it isnt going anywhere is it?
No, the Taj isn't going anywhere, but how old is londonjetsetter? LOL
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:46 am

VIP airport services in india?

vuittonsofstyle, have you explored VIP airport services in india? (Kage)
Yes, Kage, but always arranged by the hotels. Oberoi, Taj and Aman can all smooth the way through airports. I think Aman do it automatically, whereas I think you have to request it from Taj and Oberoi. I have always used them. Otherwise, it can be a nightmare, although to be fair, the main airports are much, much better than they were and both Delhi and Mumbai are nearing completion of massive re-builds - all very smart.

I have also used Taj private planes on a couple of occasions, which worked very well - again booked via Taj. Oberoi do this, too, and Aman, if you ask (though they are not their planes).

VIP services in India are not comparable to anywhere else, as they can often involve rather more than a pleasant meet and greet. Think mounted camels, trumpets, dancing girls. Great fun
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how fast do they get you through, both for international and domestic?

tajair has higher starting rates, although taj gold gets 10% off.

Ericka said aman was working on formalizing an air offering.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 18, 2010 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
No, the Taj isn't going anywhere, but how old is londonjetsetter? LOL
I'm 35!

I am sure I will be back soon enough. India's only an 8 hour flight from London and you know how much we all like to travel.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:36 am

how fast do they get you through, both for international and domestic?.
It depends entirely upon the airport. The main hubs like Delhi and Mumbai take longer. I have never timed it, but last trip it was pretty fast - maybe 30 mins from plane to exit. Don't forget India is a leisurely place.

Normally, you have someone from the hotel who basically pushes into the lines of people and goes to the front. Everyone hates you, of course, but it is standard procedure in India and the immigration people seem to know what to expect.

The thing that slowed us down slightly, when entering Delhi was they had installed Swine Flu desks, with people with masks over their noses, who looked at you to see if you had a fever. Very amusing.

Domestic airports can be tiny, so you are whisked through in minutes when you are accompanied by a hotel rep.

Private plane landings at remote strips are wonderful events in India. If you land at the strip near Amanbagh or Banjaar Tola, all the villagers arrive to wave. It is law for them to have a police presence and fire presence when a private plane lands, so the local cops and people are amongst the crowd, sometimes taking photos of the event. Great fun.

Private planes to, say, Jaipur are more conventional. I think Kingfisher handle the ground ops for Taj. Very good experience.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Private plane landings at remote strips are wonderful events in India. If you land at the strip near Amanbagh or Banjaar Tola, all the villagers arrive to wave. It is law for them to have a police presence and fire presence when a private plane lands, so the local cops and people are amongst the crowd, sometimes taking photos of the event. Great fun.

i cant find the airstrip near amanbagh?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:01 pm

i cant find the airstrip near amanbagh?
The planes do, luckily. It is about 30 mins drive from Amanbagh, towards Delhi.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The planes do, luckily. It is about 30 mins drive from Amanbagh, towards Delhi.
so [is] that closer than jaipur to aman-i-khas as well?

huh, somehow i missed this >
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanikhas/location.aspx
travel by private helicopter is possible and there are landing pads 10 minutes from the camp.
also >
http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi_v...ion_access.asp
Private Air Charter - Fly directly to Ranthambhore

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 18, 2010 at 1:12 pm
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:09 pm

so it that closer than jaipur to aman-i-khas as well?
You mean, driving from Jaipur to Aman-i-Khas? Depending upon how many cows are in the road, that journey by car is around 3 or more hours. Another way to get to Aman-i-Khas is by train from Delhi, but I have never done this, only heard the trains as the track is across the road from Oberoi Vanyavilas.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:03 pm

Ericka said aman was working on formalizing an air offering.
Unfortunately, this was probably put on hold along with the additional properties in India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.