FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Ritz Carlton St. Louis (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1049523-ritz-carlton-st-louis.html)

flyer0409 Feb 8, 2010 7:57 am

Ritz Carlton St. Louis

I still have my reservation at the Four Seasons but decided to take a look a the Ritz Carlton in Clayton too. They have a Deluxe Club room available at three nights for two...

I figure I'm going to have to cab it to Symphony Hall at night no matter where I stay. That said, it seems like the Ritz Carlton might be more convenient for everything else -- certainly a more pleasant area to walk around in.

Another thing about the RC that appealed was that their website said that there was a Metrolink stop directly in from of the hotel. The hotel told me that it is about 2 blocks and a one minute walk. But, when I looked on the Metrolink website it said that it was a distance of .25 miles and a seven minute walk.

Does anyone know how close, or not, the Metrolink really is to the hotel and if there is an elevator or escalator?

Thanks!!!!

Homeboy Feb 8, 2010 9:30 am

The Forsyth Metrolink stop is about a two minute walk from the RC.

MSPeconomist Feb 8, 2010 10:29 am

The Metrolink is definitely not right at the hotel; it's more than a few minutes walk. I used the Metrolink once to this station and, after seeing an incident with a homeless person in the pretty deserted station in the middle of the business day (sight lines not good for security), I decided not to use it again.

The RC in Clayton is a bit away from the downtown Clayton commercial area with very good interesting restaurants, etc. It's fine, but IMO would not be in the top half of RC properties.

When I stayed there a few years ago, I was very frustrated by the service. Having to call repeatedly for maid service and having the responsible manager feel that not doing the room until 5 pm or forgetting turndown service all but one night wasn't a big deal distrubed me. I recall having to fight for my "upgrade based upon availability" at check-in; the front desk agents acted like they had never heard of such a thing, although the one whose name tag indicated "in training" finally did give me my upgrade. It was a nice, typical RC room, deluxe but nothing special. When I asked the hotel to call a taxi for me, they set me up with their limo service, which was not what I had requested, although by then it was too late to wait for a cab to come. I also vaguely remember the bill being wrong. YMMV.

Despite this, it's a pretty nice property and is definitely the best place I've stayed in the St Louis area, probably the best large hotel (maybe 250 rooms) in the area. The one place that I think would dominate is a boutique hotel in downtown Clayton, called something like The Gables or Seven Gables and with a renowned restaurant. It might be R&C or some other association of smaller hotels. I would describe it as very personal but without some of the amenities of larger properties, such as good business centers or big health clubs.

Downtown St Louis (near the arch) has horrible hotels, few decent restaurants, and is empty (feels unsafe) in the evenings after office workers clear out. There are some OK mid-range chain-like restaurants around the old train station, although more interesting choices are in West End, roughly near the university hospitals, but virtually no hotels there.

I would opt for staying in Clayton, either in the Gables(?) or the RC. Unfortunately, I can't picture the FS at all, so I don't know where it is located or how it compares to the RC.

MSPeconomist Feb 8, 2010 10:36 am

The Metrolink is definitely not right at the hotel; it's more than a few minutes walk. I used the Metrolink once to this station and, after seeing an incident with a homeless person in the pretty deserted station in the middle of the business day (sight lines not good for security), I decided not to use it again.

The RC in Clayton is a bit away from the downtown Clayton commercial area with very good interesting restaurants, etc. It's fine, but IMO would not be in the top half of RC properties.

When I stayed there a few years ago, I was very frustrated by the service. Having to call repeatedly for maid service and having the responsible manager feel that not doing the room until 5 pm or forgetting turndown service all but one night wasn't a big deal distrubed me. I recall having to fight for my "upgrade based upon availability" at check-in; the front desk agents acted like they had never heard of such a thing, although the one whose name tag indicated "in training" finally did give me my upgrade. It was a nice, typical RC room, deluxe but nothing special. When I asked the hotel to call a taxi for me, they set me up with their limo service, which was not what I had requested, although by then it was too late to wait for a cab to come. I also vaguely remember the bill being wrong.

Despite this, it's a pretty nice property and is definitely the best place I've stayed in the St Louis area, probably the best large hotel (maybe 250 rooms)in the area. Just don't have high expectations and don't pay the rates you would for a RC in an expensive major city.

The one place that I think would dominate is a boutique hotel in downtown Clayton, called something like The Gables or Seven Gables and with a renowned restaurant. It might be R&C or some other association of smaller hotels. I would describe it as very personal but without some of the amenities of larger properties, such as good business centers or big health clubs. Although I've never stayed here, I've eaten meals and walked through the lobby; the couple times I tried to make a room reservation, nothing was available.

Downtown St Louis (near the arch) has horrible hotels, few decent restaurants, and is empty (feels unsafe) in the evenings after office workers clear out. There are some OK mid-range chain-like restaurants around the old train station, although more interesting choices are in West End, roughly near the university hospitals, but virtually no hotels there.

I would opt for staying in Clayton, either in the Gables(?) or the RC. Unfortunately, I can't picture the FS at all, so I don't know where it is located or how it compares to the RC.

flyer0409 Feb 8, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm still confused. Homeboy says two minute walk. MSPeconomist says it not right at the hotel and that it is defintiely more than a few minutes walk. Do we have a tie-breaker. My concern is that MSPeconomist ir right. According to the Metrolink website it is a .25 mile/7minute walk to the hotel.

Also, while we're on the subject of the Ritz Carlton, is it worth an extra $100-per night to stay on the Club Level?

Thanks!!!

Kagehitokiri Feb 8, 2010 2:04 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...04168&t=h&z=18

unfortunately there is no streetview

Homeboy Feb 8, 2010 2:35 pm

Google directions say < 2/10 miles.

Aitchly Feb 8, 2010 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyer0409 (Post 13350798)
I'm still confused. Homeboy says two minute walk. MSPeconomist says it not right at the hotel and that it is defintiely more than a few minutes walk. Do we have a tie-breaker. My concern is that MSPeconomist ir right. According to the Metrolink website it is a .25 mile/7minute walk to the hotel.

Also, while we're on the subject of the Ritz Carlton, is it worth an extra $100-per night to stay on the Club Level?

Thanks!!!

How long does it take you to walk .25 miles? It is very close. Also, the corner of the Clayton 'district' is about 3 blocks away, decent restaurants are very walkable from the RC. Perhaps it is 7 minutes if you start the timer from the far end of the property or if you are a 30minute miler.
The hotel IMHO was fine, inside food was good enough, and the surrounding area has a few additional pluses. If you are up for a (.75 mile) walk in the morning, the creperie is worth a visit.

flyer0409 Feb 8, 2010 2:55 pm

Thank you all so much! I must say I like Google map's directions-- better than the one Metrolink provides.

I'm not a slow walker but will have luggage. I was hoping to take Metrolink in from the airport.

MSPeconomist Feb 8, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks!!!

Here's the calculation I would do: If the distance is about 0.2 mile and Homeboy walks it in two minutes, this is a rate of 0.1 mile per minute or 6 miles per hour (the ten minute mile). Normal walking pace is considered about 2.5 miles per hour, although fast walkers might consider this pace to be closer to a stroll. Nevertheless, 6 miles per hour sounds much closer to jogging or race walking than normal walking. Also, don't forget to stop for traffic lights and allow for carrying or wheeling luggage on the way to/from the airport.

Three blocks to the *edge* of the Clayton commercial district seems about right. You can walk to many restaurants, but my point was that the RC isn't right in the center of Clayton.

Homeboy Feb 8, 2010 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 13351684)
Here's the calculation I would do: If the distance is about 0.2 mile and Homeboy walks it in two minutes, this is a rate of 0.1 mile per minute or 6 miles per hour (the ten minute mile). Normal walking pace is considered about 2.5 miles per hour, although fast walkers might consider this pace to be closer to a stroll. Nevertheless, 6 miles per hour sounds much closer to jogging or race walking than normal walking. Also, don't forget to stop for traffic lights and allow for carrying or wheeling luggage on the way to/from the airport.

Admittedly I'm a brisk walker, not 6 mph but certainly faster than 2.5. At any rate, it's two blocks from the Metrolink to the RC. If weather is fine and all of your luggage has wheels, Metrolink will work out well for you. If not, a cab from STL to the RC will run $15-20 and should have you at the doorstep in 15 minutes.

m.photog Feb 8, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks!!!

We are three hours away from STL by car so it is a nice 2 night weekend trip for us. We always seem to get upgraded to the club level through FHR. I would say the club is fairly typical of others so your decision might be based on how much time you will be spending at the hotel. Usually when we go there we are in and out through the day and spend the evening at the hotel or nearby so we find ourselves utilizing the club, as a bonus on a clear day you can see the arch in the far distance:p.
As I understand it the standard rooms are the same as the regular rooms on the club floors, 16 & 17 I think.
I agree with MSPeconomist that this is not the best RC property but we have had pleasant stays there and are glad to have it nearby.

bokeyes23 Sep 23, 2010 2:49 pm

I noticed the last comment said they were upgraded to Club Level through FHR? What is that? I am a Marriott Platinum and have a stay coming up in October. I have been looking at the Ritz due to bad reports on the "full service" Marriotts. Is there any specifics about the hotel I need to know? Whats the best view, how to get lounge access etc. Thanks!

m.photog Sep 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by bokeyes23 (Post 14765820)
I noticed the last comment said they were upgraded to Club Level through FHR? What is that? I am a Marriott Platinum and have a stay coming up in October. I have been looking at the Ritz due to bad reports on the "full service" Marriotts. Is there any specifics about the hotel I need to know? Whats the best view, how to get lounge access etc. Thanks!

AMEX platinum fine hotels and resort program.

www.americanexpress.com/fhr

The club level is on the upper two floors, the lounge is on the top floor so try to get that floor if you can. You can see the DT skyline and arch from the upper floors with an east view which is the back of the hotel. The view is distant and not all that impressive however. The hotel is in a suburban area so views are not very impressive in general.

mktozd Oct 1, 2010 7:52 am

Four Seasons

I frequently do business in St. Louis and would strongly recommend the Four Seasons over the Ritz Carlton out in Clayton. The Four Seasons has an excellent staff, restaurant and beautiful views of the river and arch. While you can cab it back and forth to Clayton, it would probably be easier to get a rental. The Ritz is fine, but most locals will tell you that the FS is the property of choice.