Looking for Luxury Hotel in Buenos Aires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Luxury Hotel in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I really enjoyed my stay at the 4S. The decor is a little tired, but the rooms are quite large and service was excellent.
Really memorable was the breakfast ^ It was fabulous and I am not a big breakfast eater. Loved that breakfast. Also, loved the bar menu in that gorgeous bar. Perfect at the end of a long day and the beginning of a late evening.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I really enjoyed my stay at the 4S. The decor is a little tired, but the rooms are quite large and service was excellent.
Really memorable was the breakfast ^ It was fabulous and I am not a big breakfast eater. Loved that breakfast. Also, loved the bar menu in that gorgeous bar. Perfect at the end of a long day and the beginning of a late evening.
Me, too. I am a great fan of FS BA, especially in La Mansion wing. Lovely staff under GM, Yves Giacometti. Reminds me a bit of FS London which desperately needed a refurb, but nobody minded because the service was so brilliant.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Any reviews of Algodon Mansion or any other boutique/specialty luxury properties that are not tied to a major chain?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:28 am

PH is a very good property, but their breakfast buffet is good but not spectacular, if that's very important to you.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by trojanman
Any reviews of Algodon Mansion or any other boutique/specialty luxury properties that are not tied to a major chain?
The only boutique I like is Faena Hotel + Universe, which I thought was excellent. Very good food indeed, young but pleasant staff, comfortable rooms by Philippe Starck with glass-box bathrooms and a great atmosphere. It's not too central though, but is very near to the San Telmo district, where the antique shops and tango dancers can be found.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
SFVoyage, I agree with you that the PH does not have the best buffet, but when eating in that courtyard, who cares!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:52 pm

La Mansion at the FS. Terrific. ^

One of the most comfortable beds anywhere. Privacy, quiet and outstanding service.

Excellent bkfst too, they will make you a mate to order, if you so choose. The selection of dulce de leches ran to about six. The pool area is also very nice. Spa we thought was Ok in terms of treatments.

Location, like that of the PH, is excellent.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The only boutique I like is Faena Hotel + Universe, which I thought was excellent. Very good food indeed, young but pleasant staff, comfortable rooms by Philippe Starck with glass-box bathrooms and a great atmosphere. It's not too central though, but is very near to the San Telmo district, where the antique shops and tango dancers can be found.
+1- also very nice little outdoor swimming pool.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Park Hyatt (in Mansion wing) or Four Seasons (which has a very good outdoor pool and the best brunch in town). Avoid Alvear Palace at all cost, although its breakfast buffet is quite good.
Stay at FS BA as the pool and spa is fantastic, however definately have breakfast at Park Hyatt (either in door or sit on the terrace) and go to Faena for dinner, great food and the pool lounge at night is extremely pleasant too. I second at avoid Alvear.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Agent also recommended Casasur Arthotel, even though it's not a Virtuoso property...she said a lot of her customers have stayed there and have nothing but good things to say. Any firsthand feedback? I see it's a member of SLH.

With respect to Virtuoso properties, these are the rates I was quoted for the last weekend of August. Based on these prices, which would you say is the best room for the best value? I'm trying to keep it <$400, though I would go to $500 if there was something that really warranted it. Also trying to keep it near the upper end touristy spots, like Recoletta or similar.

Faena Hotel
Preium queen 320
Executive 365
Studio 500
Suite 620

Virtuoso guests receive:
• Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
• Daily Buffet breakfast at El Mercado already included in rates
• Welcome drink upon check in
• One bottle of Argentine wine and chocolates in room upon arrival
• VIP amenities in room
• 12 Noon early check-in, subject to availability
• 4 PM late check-out, subject to availability

Park Hyatt/Palacio Duhau
Deluxe King 380
1-bedroom suite 530

Virtuoso guests receive:
• Buffet breakfast daily for up to two in-room guests served in the restaurant
• Wine and Cheese tasting for two, once during stay, at Palacio Duhau Vinoteca

Alvear Palace
<Deleted due to lack of interest on my part>

Four Seasons
Superior King 375
Deluxe King 405
Preferred deluxe king 435
Junior Suite 535
Deluxe junior suite 565
Preferred junior suite 595
1-bedroom suite 725

Virtuoso guests receive:
• Daily buffet breakfast for up to two in-room guests
• One dinner for two in Le Mistral Restaurant, once during stay (excluding beverages)
SPECIAL AMENITIES (Until September 30th, 2010)
• Welcome amenity
• A USD 40 credit per adult, per stay, to be applied towards Spa Treatments
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1- also very nice little outdoor swimming pool.
Yes, it does -- although a this time of the year it is a non-issue.

The lack of an outdoor pool at the Park Hyatt is the only reason I don't only stick to the Park Hyatt during the entire year.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, it does -- although a this time of the year it is a non-issue.

The lack of an outdoor pool at the Park Hyatt is the only reason I don't only stick to the Park Hyatt during the entire year.
At this time of year I agree.
The Park Hyatt has the best Sunday brunch in B.A.- in January/February sitting on the terrace listening to live jazz and having a glass of wine is simply divine.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:01 pm

Review of Algodon Mansion

Overview

Algodon Mansion is a former private residence located in the prestigious Recoleta neighborhood of Buenos Aires. It is located on a moderately quiet street (Montevideo 1647) and is conveniently only 3-6 blocks away from most of the highlights of Recoleta.

Pre-Arrival

I contacted the reservations manager by email to request an upgrade, airport transfers, restaurant reservations, and reservations for a Tango show. She replied with information on the airport transfers, which were roughly 3 times the price of a taxi, double the price of a remise, and 1.5 times more than the private guide I hired. As the hotel does not own or operate any of its own cars, nor do they meet & greet on the airside, I don’t believe there is any advantage in using their airport transfer service.

I was told my “private butler” would be in contact to discuss my other requests, but I was never contacted by anyone.

Design

The exterior is typical of Recoleta. That is to say, it is a beautiful blend of French and Italian 19th century architecture that is incredibly charming. Like many other upper echelon commercial buildings and fine hotels in Recoleta, Algodon Mansion was a former private residence. The building is 7 levels: one subterranean level housing a business center and public restrooms, the ground floor housing the lobby, bar, and restaurant, 4 floors housing the 10 rooms, and the top floor that houses Le Spa and The pool.

There is a motorcourt adjacent to property, but I am not sure how the hotel handles parking for guests.

Arrival

As you pull up to the hotel, you notice a set of black velvet ropes surrounding the front door, with a very small and tasteful sign stating the hotel is open for business. This sign will presumably disappear sometime after the grand opening. Not sure why the velvet ropes are there, as there certainly were no crowds to deal with.

As like many boutiques, restaurants, and smaller hotels in Buenos Aires, the front door is kept locked. The front desk is positioned directly inside the front door, so the desk can always keep an eye on people approaching the hotel. As you approach the front door, a staff member rushes to unlock it and open it for you, also assisting with luggage.

I later found out I was only the third guest to have ever stayed at the property since its soft opening one week prior, so that explains why the staff seemed to be falling all over themselves to help me, while at the same time being somewhat inefficient at it.
Within 30 seconds of my arrival, I was handed a welcome glass of very good champagne, combined with a message that I had been upgraded to an Ambassador Suite per my request. I was feeling pretty good so far.

After a bit of paperwork, I was handed a pocket-sized tri-fold “portfolio”, for lack of a better word. It contained my key card, a small notepad, a golf pencil, and a map of Recoleta. This portfolio was designed to be carried with you everywhere and actually proved to be quite useful throughout my stay. Additionally, I was handed a small envelope containing several business card with the Mansion’s logo on one side, and my name on the other. It, of course, also listed the hotel’s address and phone number. These cards could be given to boutiques to arrange for delivery to the hotel, or to taxi drivers to help get you back to the hotel if you don’t speak Spanish. I originally thought the cards were a gimmick, but they proved to be quite useful.
I was then introduced to Francisco, my “personal butler”, who showed me to my suite. I’ll discuss the butler service in more detail later.

Suites

There are four room categories at the Mansion: Recoleta Suites are the smallest, at just over 500 square feet. Then there are Imperial Suites, at approximately 585 square feet. There are only two Recoleta and two Imperial suites in the hotel. Next up are the Ambassador suites, of which there are four (one on each floor). These suites are only slightly more spacious at 600 square feet, but are like the “signature” suite of the Mansion. They have a more unique room layout, and would prove to be an exceptional home base for an extended stay in Buenos Aires. These suites also feature a steam shower and a chromatherapy spa tub. For the most unique experience, I would recommend the first floor Ambassador suite, as it is the only one that has a large outdoor terrace and a separate “casita” that houses a bar and small kitchen area. One can choose to have a chef prepare an in-room meal in this suite.

For those who demand only the best, book one of the two impressive Royal Suites. At 1,200 square feet, it’s not as large as the top category suites across town, but it is more than enough space for a couple traveling together. Most importantly, the space is used smartly. There is a foyer, dining room, living room, powder room, and master bedroom. One of the most unique features is the in-room glass wine wall. Above the wet bar and adjacent to the dining room is a glass wall containing approximately 46 bottles of wine (all of which are available to be consumed as part of the mini-bar). I have had the privilege of staying in some of the finest hotel rooms in the world, and I have never seen a design feature like this! The Royal suite also has a Jacuzzi brand spa tub that the hotel explained as being superior to the chromatherapy tub in the Ambassador suites.

The rooms feature double beds pushed together to make a slightly-larger-than-king-size bed. All beds in all rooms are like this, and thus all rooms can have either 1 or 2 beds. A third bed can be brought in at additional charge. Other common design traits include Crestron remote controls that activate everything from the motorized window shades to the TV to the lighting. Think of it as the Peninsula’s bedside control panel but more modern and on steroids. Speaking of technology, there is no shortage of it at the hotel. In addition to the Crestron setup, each room offers both wired and wireless internet, and DVD/CD players with speakers throughout the room. All suites except the four Ambassadors feature an in-mirror TV in the bathrooms. Lighting options abound, and unlike the quirky and inconvenient lighting system at Trump Chicago, the controls at the Mansion are simple and well placed. Each room also comes with a Siemens cordless phone that works on an internal cell-based system and thus functions throughout the entire property. Guests are invited to take the phones with them to the lobby bar, restaurant, spa, and pool area.

Rooms are advertised to have Nespresso machines, though as of my stay they were nowhere to be found. My butler assured me they would be in place within the week after my departure. Rooms all feature a beautiful bar cabinet, and offer a small selection of premium spirits along with soft drinks and a very meager selection of snacks. One bottle of complimentary “Algodon Wine Estates” Malbec is included with each booking. The wine is tasty, though not life changing.

All of the rooms make extensive use of dark woods, rich fabrics, and Italian furniture, and truly feel more like a contemporary city flat than a hotel room.

Bathrooms are rich spaces filled with Carrara marble, chrome Hansgrohe fixtures, enormous showers, separate tubs, and enclosed WC’s with both bidets and toilets.

Toiletries are advertised to be some fancy Euro-sounding brand, but are in fact private label “Algodon Mansion” products. In either case, they were not noteworthy and this is one of the few areas where I would suggest an improvement in the hard product (or are toiletries part of the soft product?). Towels and bathrobes are both wonderfully plush, as are the slippers provided.

As splendid as the Royal and Ambassador suites are, I suspect most travelers would be perfectly happy in the much less expensive entry-level Recoleta suites. The Imperial suite (which I originally booked) offered a nearly imperceptible difference over the Recoleta suite, and is not worth the extra money, in my opinon.

Butler Service
I have stayed at other properties with so-called “butler” service, but have never once been impressed. I must say, though, that with the exception of not following through with my pre-arrival dinner and show reservations, Francisco did a much better job that I expected. He acted as my bellman and my concierge, and engaged me in conversation about how I like the city and what sites I saw, etc...I do believe they took the “personal service” part one step too far, though. Instead of calling my room to tell me about my dinner reservations, he showed up at my doorstep right after I got out of the shower and wanted to go over the information right then and there, with me in my bathrobe. No big deal, but some people (like my parents) would NOT appreciate someone just showing up at the door unannounced.

Continuing with the extensive use of technology, each butler is assigned an iPad, allowing them to pull up your guest profile, calendar, restaurant information, etc… Very cool, indeed.

Turndown Service

Turndown service was fairly typical of high end properties: bed turned down, slippers laid out, water placed at the bedside, tomorrow’s weather printed on a card, and a couple of macaroons to give you sweet dreams. I would have appreciated a shoe shine bag placed on my bed, as the Four Seasons does.

Room Service

I did not try room service, though it was available.

Pool
As previously mentioned, the pool and spa are both on the top (fifth) floor. The pool was under construction and guests were not allowed onto the pool level at the time of my stay. My butler informed me they intend to have a poolside bar.

Le Spa

The spa is also located on the top (fifth) floor, across from the pool. It was also under construction and closed to guests at the time of my visit. Each room booking is supposed to include a complimentary short spa treatment.

Chez Nous (the restaurant)

As it was my first time in Buenos Aires, the last thing I wanted to do is eat at the hotel restaurant. That said, I did partake in the complimentary breakfast, and was not impressed. Porteños as a rule don’t generally eat a hearty breakfast like Americans, and that was reflected by the limited breakfast menu. Breads are supposedly baked in-house daily, but I did not have occasion to try any.

Cognac Bar (lobby bar)

The bar is located immediately adjacent to the small lobby, and can accommodate about 12-15 people comfortably. There is a great selection of top-shelf liquors as well as a nice wine list. I did not have occasion to try more than an agua con gas at the bar, as I was too busy sightseeing!

Checkout

The Mansion was nearly empty (I heard I was the only guest at the time). When I requested an extended check-out time, they at first offered a couple hours, but ultimately generously agreed to 6pm. The check-out process was a non-event, but it took quite a bit of time for the paperwork to be assembled. While I waited, I asked if I could get a tour of the other room categories. Francisco graciously obliged, and by the time we returned everything was in order, and I was out the door with one quick signature.

With both the check-in and check-out processes taking so long, I would say front desk operations is one area requiring improvement.

Overall Service and Impression

First things first: I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would return. That said, the hotel definitely shows its immaturity and needs to go through 6-12 months of seasoning before it can compete with the likes of Alvear, Four Seasons, and Park Hyatt.

Service was genuine and hospitable, though mildly inept. My tour guide remarked that she saw the front desk agent’s hands tremble during my check-in. Again, I believe this will be resolved with time and experience.

My tour guide also said that when she ordered the special “Algodon Coffee” at the bar, the barkeep mentioned she had never made it before and “hoped it turned out OK” (paraphrasing). Clearly the people serving breakfast were similarly inexperienced, as I was asked if my cappuccino was acceptable. If they are so concerned about coffee, perhaps they should hire someone from Café Martinez to manage their coffee operations (the Argentine version of Starbucks).

The hard product goes on my “top 10” list, and can best be described as a significantly classier, much grander, and more luxurious version of a W Hotel without the pompous attitude.

For people looking to stay at an intimate property that still offers the location, features, and services of one of the other “Big Three” in Recoleta, I would strongly endorse Algodon Mansion. Just bring your checkbook, because the rack rates are significantly higher than comparably sized rooms at any other hotel in Recoleta. If you can get a special/package/promotional rate, as I did, then it’s definitely worth it!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:24 pm

Great review, thanks. ^

Ironically, months ago I had emailed the property for a reservation. Then emailed them again. Never heard back. I assumed they hadn't opened yet. Will have to stop by and have a look see.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Wonderful review and recap of your stay trojanman. I've been waiting to read a review ever since I first heard about this property awhile back. Hopefully they can work out the kinks as it sounds like a great infrastructure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.