Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by tmr10001
November 2019:
Rosewood- Phnom Penh
When in November are you going? I was in Cambodia last year during Water Festival, an annual event when the flow between the Mekong River and Tonle Sap Lake reverses, and it was an amazing experience. I stayed at the Rosewood and the service was excellent, with staff helping my fiancé and I navigate Phnom Penh at the busiest time of year. The Festival is November 10-12 this year.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Leaving tonight for:

Fullerton Bay Hotel, Singapore (2 nights)
Amanpulo (5 nights)
Metropole, Hanoi (2 nights)
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:29 am

We will be there from November 7th-9th. Can't believe we will miss it But looking forward to the property and seeing the city.
MicSanToro likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tmr10001
November 2019:
Rosewood- Phnom Penh
Belmond La Residence d'Angkor- Siem Reap
The Siam- Bangkok
Phulay Bay, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve- Krabi
I would love a report on the Phulay Bay RC Reserve. Enjoy!
Old May 16, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Leaving tonight for:

Fullerton Bay Hotel, Singapore (2 nights)
Amanpulo (5 nights)
Metropole, Hanoi (2 nights)
Have fun!

First trip to Pulo? Definitely interested in your report.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Have fun!

First trip to Pulo? Definitely interested in your report.
Yup, first time. Have high expectations and hope they will be met! Will be sure to write up at least something afterwards.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:51 am

I would love a report on the Phulay Bay RC Reserve. Enjoy!
Will do! We are excited about it. We have been to the Four Seasons in Koh Samui before and have been to Phuket so we will be able to give a comparison between them!
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Ellenborough Park
Manor House Castle Combe
Old May 18, 2019, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
UPDATE on properties I have visited since my previous post:

Autograph Hotel Saint Louis: B. The room was nice enough, but there was little to no service. Was given an upgrade to a suite with a somewhat awkward layout and a very strange balcony. No bath tub in the bathroom is an auto-negative, especially in a suite.

The Grand, Stockholm: A. First time I can recall having enthusiastic service in this hotel. Someone even asked if they could help with the bags! Was given a nice upgrade. Hotel has a wonderful gym, spa and the bar in the lobby is dynamite.

Ritz-Carlton, Budapest: A. One of my favorite RC properties. Top notch club. Was given an upgrade to a suite (have received upgrade to suite every stay here). Very helpful staff, great location.

HT6, Rome: A-. Not "luxury" but my favorite place to stay in Rome. Right on the river, easy walk to Trastavere and to the tourist area, but without being mobbed outside the door. Was upgraded to a duplex suite. No gym.

A Casa del Principe, Naples: B. DEF not luxury, but was easy and right in the centro storico. Delivered what I expected for the ultra low price, clean.

Hotel Poseidon, Positano: B. Wonderful staff, too cold to use the unheated pool. Great restaurant and wonderful view from the pool deck for cocktails. The rooms are VERY dated, something nice about the faded 50's elegance though.

Palazzo Belmonte, Santa Maria de Castellebate: B-. Frustrating because of the possibility. Was upgraded to a suite, the grounds are phenomenal. Not everything was open yet as it was early in the season. The Prince was in residence, met him briefly in the courtyard, nice enough older man. No gym, or really any facilities. With a competent manager, some $ and the right know how this could be an amazing property.

Hotel La Pineta, Acciaroli: B+, not much in the way of options in this tiny town, but this hotel had 2 pools, nice rooms and extraordinary staff.

Softiel, Algiers: F. I don't like Sofitels, and this is quite simply the worst Sofitel in the world (I dare you to name a worse Sofitel property). No options in Algiers.

W West Beverley Hills, LA: F. This property was so bad, that after 2 hours of arguing and non-stop headaches, I told them to cancel my reservation and I walked out and booked a new hotel from my uber. I am currently staying at the recently opened 1 Hotel in LA which so far is fantastic.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

W West Beverley Hills, LA: F. This property was so bad, that after 2 hours of arguing and non-stop headaches, I told them to cancel my reservation and I walked out and booked a new hotel from my uber. I am currently staying at the recently opened 1 Hotel in LA which so far is fantastic.
The W West Beverly Hills should be ashamed of their title considering how far they are from actually being in Beverly Hills. This hotel should only be stayed at if you need to be at UCLA early in the morning and you want to walk there. So many other good choices within a 10 minute drive.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
The W West Beverly Hills should be ashamed of their title considering how far they are from actually being in Beverly Hills. This hotel should only be stayed at if you need to be at UCLA early in the morning and you want to walk there. So many other good choices within a 10 minute drive.
I am a very infrequent LA visitor and wasn't aware. Yes, it is in Westwood, not BH. Apparently the building was UCLA dorms in the 70's and that for sure comes through in the rooms. They were horrible and the staff/manager were unbelievably bad. I am VERY pleased with my decision to walk and stay elsewhere.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended

I am a very infrequent LA visitor and wasn't aware. Yes, it is in Westwood, not BH. Apparently the building was UCLA dorms in the 70's and that for sure comes through in the rooms. They were horrible and the staff/manager were unbelievably bad. I am VERY pleased with my decision to walk and stay elsewhere.
That W completed a $25 million refresh in 2016. It clearly wasn’t enough. More like putting more lipstick on a pig. The service there has been pleasant, but the constant HVAC issues were enough to make me switch to the SLS Beverly Hills—even with one of my clients being just down the street across from UCLA. The SLS costs more...but it’s far better.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 19, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old May 19, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended

That W completed a $25 refresh in 2016. It clearly wasn’t enough. More like putting more lipstick on a pig. The service there has been pleasant, but the constant HVAC issues were enough to make me switch to the SLS Beverly Hills—even with one of my clients being just down the street across from UCLA. The SLS costs more...but it’s far better.
So, during the 2+ hours of them wasting my time halfheartedly trying to fix this problem, eventually the manager agreed they would refund my reservation and I could go elsewhere if I so chose. I took this option, left and booked another hotel. Now, 2 days after the fact they have decided that since they offered to show me another room they have decided they will charge me the full amount. UNBELIEVABLE. You can't say "OK, we will refund your $, you can go." Then two days later be like "loljk, we're charging you 100%." I am so livid right now. Need to find the bonvoy lurker.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

So, during the 2+ hours of them wasting my time halfheartedly trying to fix this problem, eventually the manager agreed they would refund my reservation and I could go elsewhere if I so chose. I took this option, left and booked another hotel. Now, 2 days after the fact they have decided that since they offered to show me another room they have decided they will charge me the full amount. UNBELIEVABLE. You can't say "OK, we will refund your $, you can go." Then two days later be like "loljk, we're charging you 100%." I am so livid right now. Need to find the bonvoy lurker.
You need to contact the original manager who agreed they would cancel and refund your res. Hopefully you got that name. After that gets resolved, I would ask for a courtesy 30K points for the time and trouble after the fact for having to handle yet something else that the hotel didn’t do properly the first time.

I’m sorry this happened to you, but you’re making me very pleased that I moved my business to the more expensive and yet so much better SLS.
LinLant likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

You need to contact the original manager who agreed they would cancel and refund your res. Hopefully you got that name. After that gets resolved, I would ask for a courtesy 30K points for the time and trouble after the fact for having to handle yet something else that the hotel didn’t do properly the first time.

I’m sorry this happened to you, but you’re making me very pleased that I moved my business to the more expensive and yet so much better SLS.
The Bonvoy agent was speaking to the manager. Bonvoy created a file for this should there be any issues. The hotel seems to be coming around now. Once this is all properly resolved I will request points from Bonvoy as this has now consumed 2 of the 3 days I am spending in LA and has been a huge hassle. I've learned my lesson, won't dream of booking that dump ever again. Very pleased with the 1 Hotel, would return.
bhrubin and LinLant like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.