Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:20 am

Been to the Galapagos twice. Large tele not needed and is actually an impediment. Good, small waterproof/underwater camera is essential.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:11 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Lanzarote - soon
And then somewhere near Cancun - Like Tulum or Isla Holbox

Haven't booked any hotels yet. Anyone know anything good in these destinations? Especially Lanzarote?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:27 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The Murray, Hong Kong - Oct 21
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Just returned from Ritz-Carlton SF (Club Floor), it was a C at best. VERY disappointed. Next up:

Hotel Kamp, Helsinki
Merrion, Dublin
Lanesborough, London
Melia Grand Fenix, Madrid
Los Angeles TBD
Sofitel Hamma Garden, Algiers
Ritz-Carlton, Moscow
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Just returned from Ritz-Carlton SF (Club Floor), it was a C at best. VERY disappointed.
Uh oh. I've got a stay there in Nov. StR is just too pricey that week. Was it the Club or something else that disappointed you? (I don't care about Clubs.)

Next up:
Ritz-Carlton, Moscow
Stayed there right before the Sochi Olympics. Actually liked the service and rooms, and especially the O2 bar! The public spaces are a bit ostentatious. But woe be unto you if there are any VIPs at the hotel...as their security will brush you aside with force if necessary.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

August :

MOKL KUL
perhaps FS too

Majestic Malacca Melaka

October :

E & O PEN

Puri ? Depends when AmanCGV pastry chef visits & is Wellness Retreat is ready

? CNX

November :
Chiva - Som Hua Hin ?
MOBKK BKK ?

AmanTokyo
Hyatt Hakone
Suiran ?
RC Kyoto

RC Osaka

Amanemu

December :

MOHK HKG

Get to go to EU after all , for CHRISTmas Markets !!

Croatia , Slovenia , Vienna - erh , other than Vienna are there hotels that belong here that one can enjoy ??

Looks like the likes of

Astoria ( to be right where the lights / markets are ) - ZAG

Radisson Blu Split
Radisson Blu Ljubljana - LJU

October :

E & O PEN

CNX

November :

Puri ? Depending on AmanCGV pastry chefs stint dates / menu

AmanTokyo

Hyatt Hakone

RC Kyoto - alerted by a FTer friend about the outrageous rates , so realised our room rate was much higher than our suite rates on both 2018 stays . Shortened stay

RC Osaka , also amended thanks to FTer friends , to StR Osaka but missed posting before ..

Thanks all

Amanemu

Dec

MOHK HKG

CHRISTmas Markets , as in earlier post

January

Post SIN Do

MOBKK
Chiva Som ( perhaps catch up with VP , ex AMAN )

February

?
Galla
Wella

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 29, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:38 pm

Just returned from Ritz-Carlton SF (Club Floor), it was a C at best. VERY disappointed. Next up:

Hotel Kamp, Helsinki
Merrion, Dublin
Lanesborough, London
Los Angeles TBD
Ritz-Carlton, Moscow
Algiers - you don't get many FTers going there, I think! Back in the 1980s I had an obsession about visiting Roman archaeological sites and was able to visit Morocco, Tunisia and even Libya. In those days Algeria was off the map because of internal tensions but I did go there in 1984 when my general impression was of Eastern Europe with date palms and couscous. Nowadays it's arguably the safest place in the Maghreb. Algiers is magnificent, the Roman sites of Djemila and Timgad unmissable and there is stunning desert scenery in the south, especially around the town of Tamanrasset. Let us know how you get on.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
November :

Puri ? Depending on AmanCGV pastry chefs stint dates / menu

AmanTokyo

Hyatt Hakone

RC Kyoto
RC Osaka
Amanemu

Why the RC Osaka? I must say we visited in May while staying at the StR and felt it was very dated and tired--and with a clientele feeling more like a geriatric home. Low ceilings and the service was way too formal for our tastes. We were surprised.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

Hotel Kamp, Helsinki
Merrion, Dublin
Lanesborough, London
Los Angeles TBD
Ritz-Carlton, Moscow
I stayed at the hotel Kamp back in 2012 and really enjoyed it. Location was great and it had probably the best city hotel spa I have ever seen (although probably to be expected in Finland).
hope you enjoy!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Uh oh. I've got a stay there in Nov. StR is just too pricey that week. Was it the Club or something else that disappointed you? (I don't care about Clubs.)

Stayed there right before the Sochi Olympics. Actually liked the service and rooms, and especially the O2 bar! The public spaces are a bit ostentatious. But woe be unto you if there are any VIPs at the hotel...as their security will brush you aside with force if necessary.
The club was fine aside from the lack of service from the club staff. Both rooms in our party had RC/SPG/Marriott Status and booked a space available upgrade rate through a RC rep. No upgrade, and we were put in a handicapped room adjoining another room because the hotel was oversold. No bathtub, no privacy as we could hear everything through the wall from the room next door. Housekeeping never straightened up save for making the bed and replacing towels, left clothes strewn everywhere. Robes had holes in them from being eaten by moths and had never been replaced. So on and so forth. The assistant manager just wrote me back apologizing and offered points equivalent to 1-night at that RC, which I accepted. I would be hesitant to stay there again, the rooms on the club floor are cold, sparse and honestly feel like what you'd find in a Marriott or Hilton, they are not up to RC standard.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I stayed at the hotel Kamp back in 2012 and really enjoyed it. Location was great and it had probably the best city hotel spa I have ever seen (although probably to be expected in Finland).
hope you enjoy!
Have been there 6 or 7 times before. My favorite hotel in Scandinavia, always a great stay!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Algiers - you don't get many FTers going there, I think! Back in the 1980s I had an obsession about visiting Roman archaeological sites and was able to visit Morocco, Tunisia and even Libya. In those days Algeria was off the map because of internal tensions but I did go there in 1984 when my general impression was of Eastern Europe with date palms and couscous. Nowadays it's arguably the safest place in the Maghreb. Algiers is magnificent, the Roman sites of Djemila and Timgad unmissable and there is stunning desert scenery in the south, especially around the town of Tamanrasset. Let us know how you get on.
Just got my visa back from the embassy today. Only time for Algiers on this stop, assuming I enjoy it and it feels safe enough, I plan to go back and check out the ruins and sights further afield. Got the 2-year multientry just in case.
Pausanias and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Please post your thoughts on Bisate lodge. There was a great review here a couple of years ago on the existing gorilla lodges in Rwanda, but Bisate looks great.
Very jealous
Originally Posted by in4tar
Same...I am considering Bisate for Jan-Feb 2020, and can't wait to hear the review
Here you go:
https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...-lodge-rwanda/

Summarised: very good, beautiful room, gorillas are amazing, room for improvement, bribe whoever is necessary to be able to go on a private tour.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Why the RC Osaka? I must say we visited in May while staying at the StR and felt it was very dated and tired--and with a clientele feeling more like a geriatric home. Low ceilings and the service was way too formal for our tastes. We were surprised.
The room decor and hardware are awful too.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Great report - thanks MacMyDay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.