Wiki Posts
Search

IPASS roaming in SEN Lounges in MUC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:59 am
Original Poster

IPASS roaming in SEN Lounges in MUC?

Hi,

does anyone know whether IPASS roaming is available for the wireless in LH SEN Lounges in MUC?

Also, is the IPASS client required, or on the welcome page, is there a button "Roaming" where you can enter your ipass credentials?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
not MUC specific, but I know that IPASS works in the SEN lounge at CGN, FRA, DUS, HAM. I think it must be quite a good bet! I used the pre-installed ipass s/w on my company laptop.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH HON
I never tried iPass since I am with T-Mobile anyway and have a Hotspot flatrate. However you need the client since I don't remember iPass roaming option from the login website. Would have needed it for T-Mobile hotspots outside Germany and never found it.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AF, QF
iPass (with client) works in the FTL lounge in MUC so I strongly believe that this also applies to the Senator lounge as they will only have one network anyway....
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
iPass is partnering with T-Mobile, so all T-Mobile hotspots are iPass enabled.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC isn't roaming on IPASS quite costly?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses.

If anyone is in a SEN lounge in Germany, please let me know if you see the roaming option on the login page or whether I will indeed need the nasty ipass client

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by sfosenkid
Thanks for all your responses.

If anyone is in a SEN lounge in Germany, please let me know if you see the roaming option on the login page or whether I will indeed need the nasty ipass client

Thanks.
I am in the SEN lounge in MUC right now and the login page shows no iPass option (as I remembered). So the client might work, but I never tried that. Also I don't have my MacBook with me right now/. Otherwise I could have tested it.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
IIRC isn't roaming on IPASS quite costly?
I have no idea about iPass costs. It is a company account and I don't even see the invoices. Have used it quite heavily abroad and nobody complained so far.

However for all you guys travelling across Europe and want proper Internet access, then I advice you to get a pre-paid mobile phone card. Most of these come with Internet flatrate on a per day basis.

So T-Mobile UK is 1 UKP per day and you can buy them at a vending machine. T-Mobile NL is 2.50 EUR per day. And T-Mobile DE is 4.95 EUR per day. However for Germany, I would get Fonic.de or something similar and then you are down to 2.50 EUR per day.

I use these pre-paid SIM cards quite heavily for data access in various countries since T-Mobile is too stupid to provide me a proper Europe roaming data plan
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh492
I am in the SEN lounge in MUC right now and the login page shows no iPass option (as I remembered). So the client might work, but I never tried that. Also I don't have my MacBook with me right now/. Otherwise I could have tested it.
Thanks, mh492. I will make sure to install the ipass client then .

However for all you guys travelling across Europe and want proper Internet access, then I advice you to get a pre-paid mobile phone card. Most of these come with Internet flatrate on a per day basis.

So T-Mobile UK is 1 UKP per day and you can buy them at a vending machine. T-Mobile NL is 2.50 EUR per day. And T-Mobile DE is 4.95 EUR per day. However for Germany, I would get Fonic.de or something similar and then you are down to 2.50 EUR per day.

I use these pre-paid SIM cards quite heavily for data access in various countries since T-Mobile is too stupid to provide me a proper Europe roaming data plan
Yup, these prepaid broadband cards are nifty. Unfortunately, I only realized that they existed and how cheap they are recently, and I don't come to Europe that often, but I think I will buy one in Germany on my upcoming trip this time.

The prices for these prepaid internet USB sticks are really great in Europe -- here in the US, it is quite different: Verizon charges $14.95/day, competitor Slingshot discontinued their service due to disagreement with Sprint. Virgin Mobile USA just introduced a somewhat better offer, although still very expensive (and not even available yet): http://web.virginmobileusa.com/broadbandPlans

I am using a Sprint postpaid (w/ contract) mobile Broadband card here, which obviously doesn't work in Europe.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea about iPass costs. It is a company account and I don't even see the invoices. Have used it quite heavily abroad and nobody complained so far.

1. Our company used to have I-Pass. It was murderously expensive at least with our corporate accounts- much more than the T-Mobile charges in LH lounges.

2. The prepaid SIM cards are a good deal.

3. I have the same problem as you- our Vodafone contracts charge something like 12 EUR for access when "roaming" in the EU- ridiculous.

4. I save up the cards from the First lounges and use them to login- has worked so far...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:14 am

1. Our company used to have I-Pass. It was murderously expensive at least with our corporate accounts- much more than the T-Mobile charges in LH lounges.

2. The prepaid SIM cards are a good deal.

3. I have the same problem as you- our Vodafone contracts charge something like 12 EUR for access when "roaming" in the EU- ridiculous.

4. I save up the cards from the First lounges and use them to login- has worked so far...
The FCL and FCT vouchers are a good idea, but I don't know if they also work in SEN lounges outside Germany. Should try it next time. However my T-Mobile plan gives me hotspot flatrate in Germany which works fine. Problem is that the same tmobile network in LHR or MXP charged me ridiculous when using my German T-Mobile credentials.

It is such a stupid concept. LH should just offer free Internet in their lounges. Like so many other airlines.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FCL and FCT vouchers are a good idea, but I don't know if they also work in SEN lounges outside Germany. Should try it next time. However my T-Mobile plan gives me hotspot flatrate in Germany which works fine. Problem is that the same tmobile network in LHR or MXP charged me ridiculous when using my German T-Mobile credentials.

It is such a stupid concept. LH should just offer free Internet in their lounges. Like so many other airlines.
Agreed. I am sitting in a AAdmirals Club right now (interesting enough as an LH passenger- they use the AA lounge here)- and the Internet is free- there are three of us LH passengers here- and we are all commenting on how great this is! I think that the "annoyance" factor LH generates with charging for Internet far outweighs any revenue they may gain- and I come to look at T-Mobile like Swisscom- super rip off operators that take advantage of where you are and gouge you to unbelievable levels that you have to pay to remain productive.
I have the opposite problem of you- with Vodafone I can use the Internet free in Italy- in Germany I am gouged.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:39 am
hch

Agreed. I am sitting in a AAdmirals Club right now (interesting enough as an LH passenger- they use the AA lounge here)
Just curious: where is that?

I think that the "annoyance" factor LH generates with charging for Internet far outweighs any revenue they may gain- and I come to look at T-Mobile like Swisscom- super rip off operators that take advantage of where you are and gouge you to unbelievable levels that you have to pay to remain productive.
I completely agree. The LH scheme is a real pain in the *** for passengers, and at least for me T-Mobile gets an even worse reputation than it already has for their prices. Lose-lose situation for both involved.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:43 am
hch

The FCL and FCT vouchers are a good idea, but I don't know if they also work in SEN lounges outside Germany.
They work in all LH-operated lounges wordwide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.