Search

Outbound in y, inbound in c

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:19 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

Programs: SQ
Outbound in y, inbound in c

Can I book such a trip on lufthansa.com ? Or by phone maybe ?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
Can I book such a trip on lufthansa.com ? Or by phone maybe ?
To the best of my knowledge not on LH.com. You can book this by phone or TA. However, to get the C fare they probably need to price out two one-way fares making the Y segment pretty expensive. At least this was my experience in the past. Therefore either go for C all the way or whY all the way ...
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:24 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Definitely possible via phone! If you are talking about Y fare and C fare it is no issues anyway. You can just book an Y fare and up-fare to C.

As pointed out by Rambuster such endeavours can be pretty expensive, as such a combination will normally book into very expensive fare classes such as Y and C fare. A normal Z fare and maybe even D will be most likely cheaper than a combination of Y and C.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by totti
Definitely possible via phone! If you are talking about Y fare and C fare it is no issues anyway. You can just book an Y fare and up-fare to C.

As pointed out by Rambuster such endeavours can be pretty expensive, as such a combination will normally book into very expensive fare classes such as Y and C fare. A normal Z fare and maybe even D will be most likely cheaper than a combination of Y and C.
It depends on combinability. I know that from TLV, D (and Z) fares can be combined with M or above (or is it B?).
OS is much easier combining economy and business.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:45 am
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

OK. thanks for your help.
I'll stick to LX on this one. The website allows booking of whatever fare and class you want. (i.e. outbound in L and inbound in J.)
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
OK. thanks for your help.
I'll stick to LX on this one. The website allows booking of whatever fare and class you want. (i.e. outbound in L and inbound in J.)
I have a pretty strong web development background designing e-commerce sites when I was a student and I get lost on LH.com, LX.com spells out everything clearly incl fare rules, mileage accrual. This is actually another strong reason I fly mostly with LX
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: IC Plat Amb, AC, M&M
lx.com is probably the worst online booking tool for airlines (exept from the y-c-f fare combinations). There is no chance to book a stopover or even a flight form a to b and back from c to a (it is called open jaw i guess).

for the combinations of different booking classes. Check the rules for the booing class using a tool like KVS availability tool or itasoftware dot com. Even some of the cheapest fares allow to combine with biz and first fares.

Example (LX ZRH-JFK in W-class):
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER LX/LH/UA/OS/SK/LO/TP IN ANY RULE

or (AA ZRH-JFK in N-class):
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER AA IN ANY RULE

The fare rules will be according to the most restricted rules within your ticket.
But: in most cases you will have to call the airline (and also you have to tell to the agent that the tarif allowes combinations) as in most booking tools you are unable to choose the booking class.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:25 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

no worries.
Actually I like the LX booking engine, I find it very clear and convenient. As for prices, after doing some digging, it seems that LX is cheaper this summer. (ZRH-LAX)
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by tcqm
lx.com is probably the worst online booking tool for airlines (exept from the y-c-f fare combinations). There is no chance to book a stopover or even a flight form a to b and back from c to a (it is called open jaw i guess).

for the combinations of different booking classes. Check the rules for the booing class using a tool like KVS availability tool or itasoftware dot com. Even some of the cheapest fares allow to combine with biz and first fares.

Example (LX ZRH-JFK in W-class):
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER LX/LH/UA/OS/SK/LO/TP IN ANY RULE

or (AA ZRH-JFK in N-class):
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER AA IN ANY RULE

The fare rules will be according to the most restricted rules within your ticket.
But: in most cases you will have to call the airline (and also you have to tell to the agent that the tarif allowes combinations) as in most booking tools you are unable to choose the booking class.
Yes, the LX booking engine sucks. Only usefull for point to point returns. Nothing for open jaws or multi city bookings ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.