Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to squeeze the full compensation out of LH?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
how to squeeze the full compensation out of LH?

A good friend of mine of Chinese citizenship flew HKG-FRA-onwards - against my recommendation - on LH. LH denied her boarding in HKG because she did not have a valid Schengen visa for the day (she had one for later in the journey) and put her on standby on the evening flight via MUC.

When I talked to her she was intimidated that they would not let her board the MUC flight as they told her that her booking class is 'long gone'.

Her FRA flight was Y0! There was no free seat on the plane as her companion reported. So that was the true reason for the bump.

I sent my friend the EU passenger rights leaflet, armed her with the confidence that LH fraudulently bumped her from her flight and that she should demand EUR 600 compensation and a confirmed seat on the next flight.

As expected, the HKG staff did not give in. But we pushed until a supervisor confirmed her on the next flight and paid her USD 200 'for the inconvenience'.

I take this as a full acceptance of LH's guilt. How does she have to proceed to receive the rest of the EUR 600 - USD 200 from LH? She will fly them again the next few days. Whom does she have to talk to and where? Is there any legal terminology that will help her to receive what LH owes her? Flying Lawyer perhaps?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
What confuses me is the Schengen visa thing. Was she on a Non-Schengen connection for that day? Same ticket or different one? Couldn't she confirm with LH HKG, she was on a Non-Schengen connection?

Obviously a Schengen visa only starting some days later is not of any help, or would you disagree?

Without a valid Schengen visa and having no proof of Non-Schengen connection I believe it is okay to decline boarding, as this is required in the EU from the airlines.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:23 am
hch

deleted

Last edited by hch; Apr 3, 2009 at 8:23 am Reason: braino
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
What confuses me is the Schengen visa thing. Was she on a Non-Schengen connection for that day? Same ticket or different one? Couldn't she confirm with LH HKG, she was on a Non-Schengen connection?

Obviously a Schengen visa only starting some days later is not of any help, or would you disagree?

Without a valid Schengen visa and having no proof of Non-Schengen connection I believe it is okay to decline boarding, as this is required in the EU from the airlines.
Yes, but weero does mention that the person was confirmed on the next LH flight. So, I don't think the visa was the real reason, otherwise they would have had valid reason to deny her again as well.

If Y0 was the real reason for the bump and poor excuse, shame on LH.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Yes, but weero does mention that the person was confirmed on the next LH flight. So, I don't think the visa was the real reason, otherwise they would have had valid reason to deny her again as well.

If Y0 was the real reason for the bump and poor excuse, shame on LH.
I agree and not doubting anything. But still I'm curious about that visa thing. She was told, she was confirmed on the MUC flight, but maybe the CI agent was simply unable to deal with the real problem and so just moved the problem away for that particular flight. Curious, what this onwards did mean (Which country) and whether on one ticket or not.

I just heard a similar story earlier this week (No Schengen Visa, flying from the US via FRA to Switzerland), but this was even on a paid BIZ (D fare, I guess) and the companion finally was sitting in a 40% empty BIZ cabin.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
I agree and not doubting anything. But still I'm curious about that visa thing.
Yes, it isn't very clear. Where was the pax going next etc ?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:59 am
Original Poster

What confuses me is the Schengen visa thing. Was she on a Non-Schengen connection for that day? Same ticket or different one? Couldn't she confirm with LH HKG, she was on a Non-Schengen connection?..
She did not have to enter Schengen that date - single ticket.

The agent argued that she could try to enter Germany on her layover and than LH would be in trouble.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:00 am
Original Poster

I agree and not doubting anything. But still I'm curious about that visa thing. She was told, she was confirmed on the MUC flight..
They had her standby for the full MUC flight but after my complaints confirmed her on the same flight same date.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Yes, it isn't very clear. Where was the pax going next etc ?
Well I did not want to post it - not without her consent - this is why it's not clear .
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by weero
They had her standby for the full MUC flight but after my complaints confirmed her on the same flight same date.
I'm confused. If confirmed same flight same date, does this refer to the original FRA flight (if so no bump, just threat of one) or the MUC flight?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I'm confused. If confirmed same flight same date, does this refer to the original FRA flight (if so no bump, just threat of one) or the MUC flight?
The MUC flight.

... weero does mention that the person was confirmed on the next LH flight. So, I don't think the visa was the real reason, otherwise they would have had valid reason to deny her again as well.
I agree.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by weero
A good friend of mine of Chinese citizenship flew HKG-FRA-onwards - against my recommendation - on LH. LH denied her boarding in HKG because she did not have a valid Schengen visa for the day (she had one for later in the journey) and put her on standby on the evening flight via MUC.
LH739 gets into FRA the day of departure, LH731 into MUC only the next day.

So, did her VISA cover the day post-departure (but not the day of dep itself)?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D-AIPD
LH739 gets into FRA the day of departure, LH731 into MUC only the next day.

So, did her VISA cover the day post-departure (but not the day of dep itself)?
I haven't seen the visa but she didn't need Schengen immigration for that part of her trip - she was transiting in FRA.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Sorry with same I meant the same she was on standby before, 731, the MUC flight.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: Miles and More
If she was tranisiting in FRA and her destination was outside of Schengen, then anything about validity of her visa is completely irrelevant. Timatic (system that most airlines use to determine when PAX needs visa) is quite clear -you do not need visa in this situation and you can not be denied boarding for that reason. After all, FRA is not some small airport that is closed overnight, so even if she would have a layover in FRA, she can stay airside for another night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.