Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:36 am

Hon Run Routing? [and other quick SEN/FTL qualification mileage runs on LX/LH/OS]

Being SEN with 100k status miles does not mean that you also have 100k HON miles. You only get HON miles in C and F on fully integrated partners.
So you may need more than 500k HON miles.
But for the rest, your calculation is not bad.

I have booked those via my travel agent. Ulli from dibalog-travel is excellent. And he is not too far away from FRA.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Being SEN with 100k status miles does not mean that you also have 100k HON miles. You only get HON miles in C and F on fully integrated partners.
So you may need more than 500k HON miles.
But for the rest, your calculation is not bad.

I have booked those via my travel agent. Ulli from dibalog-travel is excellent. And he is not too far away from FRA.
Ulli would be my first Choice too! He's a cool guy and I had had very good experiences with him in the Past.

Could you tell me, how much the TA added to the Price as a Fee?

And: What dates will you do the Trip(s)?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Ulli would be my first Choice too! He's a cool guy and I had had very good experiences with him in the Past.

Could you tell me, how much the TA added to the Price as a Fee?

And: What dates will you do the Trip(s)?
Trip was done 3 weeks ago as a part of a longer journey.
TSC was 20-25 Euro, if I recall right.

Last edited by PetzLUX; Aug 23, 2015 at 7:13 am
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
So this would give me - after investing 30k Euro - the one and only HON Status?

If (and only if) I am starting from ZERO, right? Becoming Sen by the end of 2015 would leave me with 100k Miles already, so "only" 500k to go - which would sum up to 25k Euro..

Worth it?

I wanted to try the AMS-HNL-Trip...But this seems a little cheaper - which is the cheapest you know of starting in Germany/Nederlands/Austria and around?
You might have the money for this but do you have the time? I guess you need to spend close to two month flying all over Croatia!?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
You might have the money for this but do you have the time? I guess you need to spend close to two month flying all over Croatia!?
I thought of the Weekends...Like 25 Weekends over the coming Year..But maybe I'm wrong?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I thought of the Weekends...Like 25 Weekends over the coming Year..But maybe I'm wrong?
Probably the worst thing to do over the week end: flying LH NEK business class in a narrow body aircraft
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Quote:

Probably the worst thing to do over the week end: flying LH NEK business class in a narrow body aircraft
Being an intra-european-flying-HON (around 350k-400k in NEK), I deserve a medal...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Being an intra-european-flying-HON (around 350k-400k in NEK), I deserve a medal...
Not just a medal but a GOLD medal and a special recognition from LH/LX for your great effort in standing that pain ^
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you are really flying regularly on LH, just earning HON which such fares makes no sense...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Let me give it to you straight: I have had the HON card for 7 years now with another two coming up.
Whilst the status does have benefits, it is not worth wasting 25 weekends over the coming year in addition to all the money wasted.

My recommendation: Book all the first class travel you want instead using the offers on hand or alternatively book the VIP services at your Local/transit airport instead.

As a result you will travel in more comfort and it will save you a ton of money.

HON status should be a function of your regular travel pattern not vice versa.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
HON status should be a function of your regular travel pattern not vice versa.
ANY status should be a function of your regular travel pattern. Otherwise money spent on attaining it are better spent on achieving the benefits otherwise (paid lounge access, premium class revenue booking, paying the excess baggage) - it will come out cheaper in the end.

I've seen a number quoted that said MRs should not take more than 5-10% of your mileage, but I'd say it's a bit more individualised.
Spending 300€ to gain status when you expect a shorthaul in Y every week is different than spending 300€ to gain status when you expect 1-2 longhauls in J.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:37 pm

My recommendation: Book all the first class travel you want instead using the offers on hand or alternatively book the VIP services at your Local/transit airport instead.
Right now with the current F partner fare ex-VIE you can get yourself 46.5k HON miles over a weekend while flying F class to SIN on the A380 for only € 3.6k @:-)

If you are interested Blueeagle3 I can share with you this experience once

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Aug 23, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
How often will you be in MUC, Frankfurt, Zuerich, Vienna, NYC where you can profit from HON/F-Lounges or other HON services?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
ANY status should be a function of your regular travel pattern. Otherwise money spent on attaining it are better spent on achieving the benefits otherwise (paid lounge access, premium class revenue booking, paying the excess baggage) - it will come out cheaper in the end
I can think of one (non-LH) specific counter-example, that being if you have a mountain of Avios but can never find the redemption space you need, achieving BA GGL would get you Jokers so you can open up the redemption space you need (for up to 5 people).

Depending on how many Avios are burning a hole in your pocket, and the route(s) you redeem, for some this could "pay for" the cost of achieving GGL.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I think SEN (and obviously HON by extension) has something similar-ish? I think I read about getting award for 50% extra even if regular award space is unavailable.

In any case, you should still consider if it wouldn't be cheaper to book revenue flights instead of becoming BA GGL just for the sake of being able to use Avios on preferred routing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.