Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A little tour of the C gates (and some other observations in FRA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:49 pm
hch
Original Poster

A little tour of the C gates (and some other observations in FRA)

This afternoon I had about two hours to waste in FRA, and not being very hungry I didn't really see any reason to visit the FCT, which accoring to my pick-up driver was pretty crowded already.

So I decided to do a little tour through the C gates to see what all the fuss about the new C/D-Riegel is about.

I arrived at B and talk the walkway via the Train station towards the C gates, and the first surprise was that the sleeping chairs at the begging of that walkway (where's it's separated from the upper-level B bus gates) were gone. Instead there was a security check-point for Pax coming from the C gates. That means that people at least don't have to go completely landside for a transfer to or from the C gates. The old little Immigration checkpoint near the Train station is gone and replaced by a slightly larger one that doesn't take that much space away in the floor. At the end of the floor where the RCC is stairs go down to a pretty big room with a large set of immigration booth in both direction. These might be very good alternatives for those complaining about long lines at the B checkpoints. At the end of this room which also has a shop (or two?) you can go either towards the old C gates or the new C gates.

When going towards the old C gates you'll immediately see that the Gates that used to be there in the really old part of the C pier (IIRC C5/6/7) were closed down with painted plywood, with only gate C4 still open to the right behind a very temporary looking security lane. Going further to the left it looks all very under construction. At the end of the old Pier C building (the one stall still had the distinct 70s feel a few years ago at least) you can turn slightly right into the 90s are C pier extension (with the space station like metal furnish and the small round windows), but the first jetbridge was not accessible and a while after it the corridor was closed completely. Going back to the end of the old old C pier you can take another middle walkway that looks very temporary and goes down stairs after a while into what looks like very modern Bus Gates numbered C7-9, aka the numbers previously occupied by the jetbridges upstairs). There's a third walkways leading from the end of the old Pier into an older looking temporary building labels C21-23, but the entrance was closed by a plywood wall. With these new temporary C7-9 Gates and a lot of construction containers inside the area between the old C pier and the corridor to the new C/D pier I hope demolition of the old C gates is imminent. I have in fact not seen any plane docked to a jetway except for C1/2 and C4. A LOT 737 was in front of one of them but had moveable airstairs attached out.

I went back to the C hall after immigration to go to the new C/D pier. The walk through the corridor isn't actually that long (it seems the way to get there from B is actually longer), but it had much less rolling walkways than it should. Security control at the end of it and you can go directly to the LH gates at the lower level, or elevators up to the lounges. I did a quick visit to the SEN lounge, which had a spectacular view over the tarmac (and directly onto the nose of a 747), but the food selection was rather limited compared to the other German SEN lounges I frequent. And they put cheese into the sausages without any warning (I always thought that was purely an Austrian illness).

Went back through a one-way double door lock into the non-security area. Interestingly there was a door leading to a stairway that was labelled "LH Transfer Counter" which lead straight into the upstairs part of the connection floor. So much about having the second floor for separating arriving from departing Pax. (Yeah, not actually needed as long as they require a separate security for these four gates anyway). Wandered around there a bit and at the end to the left there was another construction site that looked like upcoming security checkpoints, so there might be a terminal-side connection to T2 again soon.

Back in the lovely B Schengen area I noticed that the Business Gates in FRA are now free for all and the Coffe machine and Soda-fountain are inop now. According to the Gate agent they're being removed all over FRA. Great idea to get your lounges less crowded LH (or the customers stuck in the B Schengen Ghetto served at all)

Last edited by hch; Jul 9, 2008 at 1:51 pm
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: AA, LH FTL, BA, US, DL, UA, AF, Hilton, Priority Pass, Priority Club
It would be nice if Lufthansa would put the free coffee machines at at least the Schengen gates like they do at MUC. That was a really nice touch after the flight in then onto my connection.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:12 am
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hch
At the end of the old Pier C building (the one stall still had the distinct 70s feel a few years ago at least) you can turn slightly right into the 90s are C pier extension (with the space station like metal furnish and the small round windows), but the first jetbridge was not accessible and a while after it the corridor was closed completely. Going back to the end of the old old C pier you can take another middle walkway that looks very temporary and goes down stairs after a while into what looks like very modern Bus Gates numbered C7-9, aka the numbers previously occupied by the jetbridges upstairs). There's a third walkways leading from the end of the old Pier into an older looking temporary building labels C21-23, but the entrance was closed by a plywood wall.
So all these connections off the old old C part are already there on the google maps satellite image which must be a few years old already. Today the big building where two connectors off the old C pier lead to must be quite a bit smaller because the connection to the new C/D pier is squeezed in between it and the Skyline, and there's quite a bit of space between them.

I've never actually been to these C7-9 gates so I wonder if they've always been like that? AFAIK the SQ flight to JFK leaves from these so maybe someone here who has taken it knows if you already had to go downstairs to the ground level since the late 90s?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Originally Posted by neo16287
It would be nice if Lufthansa would put the free coffee machines at at least the Schengen gates like they do at MUC. That was a really nice touch after the flight in then onto my connection.
I don't know about any plans in FRA.. but muc has been having these free coffemachines since terminal 2 opened. Although I have been rarely using them lately, due to hanging around in the lounge, I also think its a great feature and probably one of a kind in Europe ^.

MUC is my home airport, and I really love coming through it. If departing, arriving or just connecting

I must admit though, that the new C/D Riegel in FRA is a great concept. When I was coming through FRA on my way to PEK I was able to try the business section. Like every transit at FRA it always is a hassle to actually get were you need to go.. but after 2 kilometers, 3 security checks, 3 bp + pp checks.. I had finally arrived at the C gates. Upstairs in the BC lounge I found a calm and quite atmosphere. Although the lounge itself does not provide more than the basics of a BC lounge, it has a very nice simplistic design. The best feature though, is the boarding. Not only hassle free (as approx. 60 Pax board through two "gate machines") but also before the main boarding starts. In this case I was flying in Y and was the first Y Pax onboard. Allowing for a quick chat with the FA and placing my two pieces of handluggage in the bin above my seat. I then took place in the exit-row as the mob rushed by

Happy flying!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:17 pm
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asmallworld
I must admit though, that the new C/D Riegel in FRA is a great concept. When I was coming through FRA on my way to PEK I was able to try the business section. Like every transit at FRA it always is a hassle to actually get were you need to go.. but after 2 kilometers, 3 security checks, 3 bp + pp checks..
I'm not sure if people really can't follow signs and are doing enormous useless detours or are just making this up. But to go to the C/D Riegel you need to go through exactly one security check right in front of the gates, and one passport control when entering the non-Schengen area anywhere. The only place that ever needs two security checks are the A30ff and A50ff (and maybe now A60ff, haven't checked) bus Gates, and a third security is never needed. A second immigration checkpoint passage is never needed unless you deliberately go from Schengen to non-Schengen and back (or vice versa) to e.g. visit a Lounge or Restaurant.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by hch
I'm not sure if people really can't follow signs and are doing enormous useless detours or are just making this up. But to go to the C/D Riegel you need to go through exactly one security check right in front of the gates, and one passport control when entering the non-Schengen area anywhere. The only place that ever needs two security checks are the A30ff and A50ff (and maybe now A60ff, haven't checked) bus Gates, and a third security is never needed. A second immigration checkpoint passage is never needed unless you deliberately go from Schengen to non-Schengen and back (or vice versa) to e.g. visit a Lounge or Restaurant.
If I recall correctly:

coming from Section B you have to leave the secure area in order to get to C.
1. Check in order to pass through into secure are C
2. Check in order to reach special C gates for China flights (Visa Check)
3. Mobile checkpoint when walking down hallway to C.

All in all.. will take approx. 30-45 min from leaving aircraft in B to the new gate in C.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:07 pm
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asmallworld
If I recall correctly:

coming from Section B you have to leave the secure area in order to get to C.
1. Check in order to pass through into secure are C
2. Check in order to reach special C gates for China flights (Visa Check)
3. Mobile checkpoint when walking down hallway to C.
So that's some kind of checks but no the actual security screenings. There can be a lot of these for any airport for odd destinations. When I did my C gates tour there was (coming from B) a security checkpoint and a Visa checkpoint right after it on the way to the SEN lounge. This was before the ~21:00-22:30 departure wave which I think includes flights to china.

All in all.. will take approx. 30-45 min from leaving aircraft in B to the new gate in C.
It took me about 40 minutes from B Schengen including my tour through the old C gates and taking lots of photos, but I generally walk quite fast. But yes, the way is quite long and as I think I mentioned in my first post the moving walkway coverage is severely limited. A Bus shuttle to these gates would be a really nice addition.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:42 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Some UK-bound flights used to depart from C gates (e.g. C8). I remember having to walk from B gates to C along a dark passage with very few people other than those sleeping on reclining chairs and often wondered if I was going the wrong way. UA flights seem to use lower C gates and last time I was there a couple of months ago I took some photos of the area which was definitely under construction. There was no moving walkway at least up to the point where you turned right to the old C gates. It sounds as if the construction work is still going on.

The plan of new C gates on the media-frankfurt site you posted some time ago only shows C4-6 and C13-16 but at least one of the newish signs was pointing to gates C2-23. The terminal map on lufthansa.com has been updated to mention C1-C23 and the fraport map also mentions C2-C23 but I find these maps not at all helpful. At least staralliance.com has a slightly better map showing the location of lounges and some gate positions. I wonder why FRA /LH cannot provide a better terminal map.

@asmallworld, if your signature line is still correct (1007 Miles until FTL / 66007 Miles until SEN) and flying in Y, how did you manage to get into the BC lounge? Just curious. Is there a mileage overdraft facility for lounge access for pax who are almost FTL/SEN?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond , Marriott Gold , IHG Plat
Thanks for this. I am flying with LH to EWR in two weeks time in F Class. I am a *G and I would like to check out all the facilities for First pax. My idea was to check out the FCT and then progress to the lounges on the piers. Is it ok to use all the FCT facilities and then walk to the main terminal? Is the FCT airside or landside? I understand that there are F Lounges in areas A and B of Term 1.

Any idea of the best route etc.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:33 pm
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LakerAirwaysDC10
Thanks for this. I am flying with LH to EWR in two weeks time in F Class. I am a *G and I would like to check out all the facilities for First pax. My idea was to check out the FCT and then progress to the lounges on the piers. Is it ok to use all the FCT facilities and then walk to the main terminal? Is the FCT airside or landside? I understand that there are F Lounges in areas A and B of Term 1.

Any idea of the best route etc.
The FCT is a little airside area of it's own. I could go back landside when I had to re-schedule a flight due to an unexpected meeting, so it's at least possible in theory. There's a FCL in Pier A that has all the features of the FCL, and a very limited one in the B area. There also was another FCL with some additional features in the B area but it's closed down currently. There's none in the C pier that this thread is about, and if your flight leaves from the C pier and you're in F I would wholeheartedly recommend you to simply stay in the FCT.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:37 pm
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Some UK-bound flights used to depart from C gates (e.g. C8). I remember having to walk from B gates to C along a dark passage with very few people other than those sleeping on reclining chairs and often wondered if I was going the wrong way. UA flights seem to use lower C gates and last time I was there a couple of months ago I took some photos of the area which was definitely under construction. There was no moving walkway at least up to the point where you turned right to the old C gates. It sounds as if the construction work is still going on.
That passage from the B to the C gates on your photos is not under construction currently, but it looks very temporary in many places. And yes, no moving walkway at all in that part.

The plan of new C gates on the media-frankfurt site you posted some time ago only shows C4-6 and C13-16 but at least one of the newish signs was pointing to gates C2-23. The terminal map on lufthansa.com has been updated to mention C1-C23 and the fraport map also mentions C2-C23 but I find these maps not at all helpful. At least staralliance.com has a slightly better map showing the location of lounges and some gate positions. I wonder why FRA /LH cannot provide a better terminal map.
Yes, the Fraport and LH maps are really sad :P C1/2 share one jetbride and are directly accessible from Landside without connection to any concourse. they can be used for both Schengen and non-Schengen departures with their own little passport control.

Last edited by hch; Jun 22, 2008 at 2:50 pm
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by hch
I've never actually been to these C7-9 gates so I wonder if they've always been like that? AFAIK the SQ flight to JFK leaves from these so maybe someone here who has taken it knows if you already had to go downstairs to the ground level since the late 90s?
Yes. SQ often used the last C gate where you had to go down to the ground level. It was very spacious. It think no other gate had so much waiting space but the whole hall looked more like a large storage room.

The old C gates where for example United had their flights was horrible.

I think I remember that long time ago the C area was a high security area where the Israel bound flights left.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:49 pm
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Yes. SQ often used the last C gate where you had to go down to the ground level. It was very spacious. It think no other gate had so much waiting space but the whole hall looked more like a large storage room.
At least according to the signs the hall now serves Gates C7-9 and not just a single one. Not sure how that's supposed to work in practice. Did you get bussed from that downstairs area or are there elevators back up to the C7 jetbridge which must be just in front of it anyway?

Originally Posted by caspritz78
The old C gates where for example United had their flights was horrible.
Yes, I used to fly out of C4-6 frequently on AA until about four years ago and it felt like a setback to a time before I was born ;-)
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:03 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hch
That passage from the B to the C gates on your photos is not under construction currently, but it looks very temporary in many places. And yes, no moving walkway at all in that part.
I was actually thinking of the area at the end of the passage from the B gates which was definitely under construction two months ago. Any idea what happened to this passage? Also the shop opposite the security gates was almost complete but not yet open.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:07 pm

@asmallworld, if your signature line is still correct (1007 Miles until FTL / 66007 Miles until SEN) and flying in Y, how did you manage to get into the BC lounge? Just curious. Is there a mileage overdraft facility for lounge access for pax who are almost FTL/SEN?
My signature is up-to-date no overdraft hehe I gained access through my United Red Carpet Club Card. I bought the card because I had/have some heavy flying in cheap economy classes (ELTU) within Europe.. but as it turns out I will gain status in 10 days

Happy flying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.