Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st First Class experience: Did I expect too much?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
1st First Class experience: Did I expect too much?

Disclaimer: This is no complaint, I won't ask for compensation. If you are not happy with that and want another "what-can-I-expect-as-compensation"-thread, please do not read that thread

At a lounge meeting (thanks to pfaffendorf) I spoke with berlinflyer about FirstClass on LH: getting used to it, my plans to fly F on award in summer, etc.

I've flown C on LH several times over the last years, however, I can also survive Y without any bigger problems (good luck for flysurfer and berlinflyer though).

Of course, as a good FT I always check my flights on seatcounter before the departure. This time, it was free in all bookingclasses, so I was sure not to get an op-up.

However, at the gate for my FRA -> US-eastcoust flight it showed a different picture. The flight was due to delays and flight cancellations of other LH flights at boarding time overbooked by 45 pax, especially in economy. People were heavily upgraded at the gate. I had a group of Y->C op-ups sitting around, trying all the C-features already before take-off and discussing them loudly through the whole cabin

Luckily, few minutes later a FA asked for my BP, then the pruser came and sked me to pack my stuff (the people around were thinking that I had to go back to eco... well, probably I was the only one with a paid C-ticket in the first C-cabin...). Obviously it wasn't a downgrade, but an upgrade to F (row 82).

I was warmly welcomed by the FA, they handed me over a Van Laack Shirt, offered a drink etc. (all other passengers were already sitting). F Cabin was nearly full.

My obervations:

Things, where my expectations were not met:
(1) Why I have to decide so far in advance, what food I want to eat. I prefer to see it, before I decide.
(2) There is always so many things going on, talking with the purser (blablabla), being asked for food selection, 4 1/2 course-dinner, pepper for the salad beeing served on the spot separately, waiting 4min for the cheese to be cutted by the FA, being asked for drinks every 10min, ... no decent, calm, relaxed atmosphere! Especially in the B747, as the FA always walked in front of me to serve my seatmate at the window.
(3) The seats are in the seating positions not as comfortable as the C seats. The seat adjustment is easier with the C master control.
(4) The cabinlook is totally outdated and awful!!! This corrugated metal in front of you... aaaahhhh... time for the new F design!
(5) AVOD is small, touchscreen is reacting slowly.
(6) Small things, that made me not feeling like sitting on a 3500 Euro seat: dessert beeing served with a big spoon, breakfast bagels very (!) small (good serrano though), coke being served with the can (even if the can fits easily into the glass), ...
(7) The FA didn't adress me by name during the flight.

Nice-to-have in F
(1) Food was a bit better than in C, however, nothing spectacular for me: I prefer a big, good steak over caviar and a good beer over champagne!
(2) Priority deboarding: I was out of the airport within 10min. In C it were probably 12min...

Big pro's of F
(1) Bigger bed (I didn't want to sleep on that dayflight though)
(2) ... (?)

Were my expectations too high?
Was it due to the fact that I and (probably many) others were upgraded?
Would everything be better with a MUC-based crew?

I want to figure out, whether it is worth for me to book another F flight with miles or whether I should go for C. There difference from C->F is from my limited experience not big enough to spend the extra miles (no question for Y->C, of course).

Maybe I'm just not ready (too young and too pristine ) for F?

Looking forward to your comments!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
LH Y is not that bad.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Well, you can actually see all the food except for the main course, so I don't know what was going on. The 747 cabin isn't my cup of tea when flying solo, that's why I usually take the Airbus. Much more privacy and nicer cabin.

The details, well, that usually doesn't happen on my flights, meaning the FAs don't serve cans, the bagel is large enough (I know that for a fact, because I'm infamous for constructing a huge salmon bagel for breakfast), I get the right cutlery and I'm always addressed by my name.

Btw, I find the F seat much easier to adjust than the C seat, and also mor comfortable in sitting position. And I do like fresh pepper. I also find the atmosphere very calm and even though I'm on board, the flight is usually quite...um...decent.

As for IFE: I bring my own.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Dear collegue (I guess), do you remember Weber/Fechner's law of psychophysics? A $ 5000 C tix gives you twice the bang over a $500 Y (S, that is) tix. A $ 10000 F tix - aha, do you figure?
What I want to say is, in my view the subjective difference between Y and C is much higher than the felt difference between C and F. IMO, F is nice to have (it may be different if you travel really frequently) but C is what you need for a tolerable longhaul flight. Y however is out of the range...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Maybe I'm just not ready (too young and too pristine ) for F?
I think we have a winner

The difference in F between on the 747 from the airbus is big - I much prefer the airbus, as well, although my trip in the 747 was fine b/c if was ex-europe and I was awake for that flight (and got to enjoy the last day or so of connexion which was icing on the cake).

The issues you had were mostly areas where they are providing their customers with an upgrade in service that you obviouslly didn't appreciate nor want. Did you ever ask for them to do something differently for you? I am sure they would've bypassed you and not bothered you if that was what you indicated to them OR they would've shown you the entrees if you couldn't decide from the menu, etc. (and just out of curiosity, do you ask to see the various options first when eat out in a restaurant too? )
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
I think as well that the difference between 2-2 seating on the upper deck of the 747 and the 1-2-1 seating on the 330/340 is big when travelling alone.

However, when I travel with my partner, I like the 747 because I can sit at the window and still have somebody next to me.

All other facts are purely based on one's personal expectations, personal preferences and much more. Maybe you should try again on a different flight...?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fradoc
Y however is out of the range...
LH Y is not that bad!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:26 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by flysurfer
LH Y is not that bad!
Did you change your mind ?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by szg
Did you change your mind ?
I'm trying hard!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
...do you ask to see the various options first when eat out in a restaurant too?
Actually, there are restaurants (mostly in California, of course) that offer such a thing. I accidentally went into such a place once: instead of a traditional menu, the waitress brought out a "Living Menu." The Living Menu was a large board with an assortment of raw meat, poultry, and fish. The diner then picked out the item to be cooked, and that was that. The resulting meal might have been good, but the uncooked presentation was revolting enough to spoil the meal.

At least the Japanese understand that the plastic representations of your meal are sort of intentionally silly-looking.

Obligatory on-topic comment: I agree fully with fradoc that the substantive difference is Y-to-C, and that C-to-F benefit is much more satisfying to the ego than to the butt and belly.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
You don't like champagne, you don't like caviar, you don't like cheese to be cut right in front of you or in the galley on demand, you don't like being asked constantly for your wishes, you don't like a chat with the purser, sounds like you don't like many aspects of proper service...

I can't help
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:08 am
Suspended

I had my first F flight on LH in about 10 years JFK-FRA last week on a 744. I had the benefit of the seat next to me open. On boarding, the purser at the door took one of my bags as I was lugging it up the stairs and personally brought it up. Not realizing that I needed to pick up newspapers on boarding, the FA went down to get my choices off the trolley at the boarding door.

I found the service to be really on the ball. The only time the FA forgot something - a refill of my sparkling water, when she saw me, she say, "Oh my, I am so sorry, let me get you your water." Minutes later the purser came over to apologize.

The crew was attractive and friendly, but most of the service they delivered was spot on. I am flying back on the 343 so anxious to see the difference but I was very happy with LH F and i fly frequently in F on BA, AA, CX, QF, JL and QR.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
I see the original posters viewpoint which I do not agree with...how else do you want to set F class apart from C?

To prepare food in the air is quite a chore (pls guys let's stop those silly comparisons to earth bound restaurants) and I think LH with their presentation of the appetizers and the constant changing special does one of the best jobs in the air!

I like a good beer too, I also drink Champagne, but hardly on LH. I mostly have a glass of wine, lot's of water (I rather be fit upon arrival for either business eastbound and for the wife westbound). Just decline and enjoy yourself. I noticed that it is mostly the newcomers who completely indulge. The "regulars" mostly get the dinner done quickly, put the seat in the rest position and sleep (even on a daylight flight).

The purser and FA's have a pretty good feel whom to leave alone, they do it with me!

The most important (for me anyway) is the seat. Even as old as it is, the F seat is far superior to The C seat in my opinion. More comfortable to sit in and completely flat to sleep on.

Screen is a bit small in F, but since I sleep most of the time (and lot's of others) it does not matter.

Just my 2 cents
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The crew was attractive and friendly, but most of the service they delivered was spot on. I am flying back on the 343 so anxious to see the difference...
What are you referring to with attractive?

Make sure you get A or K seats when getting seat assignments. These are the single seats by the windows and much superior if you travel alone. Except you spot something else "attractive" travelling solo on a center seat.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by flysurfer
LH Y is not that bad!

I changed my O-award to MEX into an I-award when seats became available (by cancelling the first one, of course).
While on the Airbus it's nice to have a single seat, it's not worth to pay so much more on a 744 IMO. The difference between Upperdeck-F and C is too small for justifying the huge difference in price. I will not arrive less relaxed in new C than in UD-F.

C is the normal way for a long flight, F is "nice to have".
Old C is a stopgap when no new C or F available...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.