Wiki Posts
Search

Same day changes on LH Z fare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Same day changes on LH Z fare?

I've searched and have found various threads on standby options on fares when traveling on LH but haven't found anything really on point when dealing with a Z fare. About a month ago I booked a combination UA/LH z fare for myself for the end of December SFO-FRA-FCO-FRA-SFO.

I then booked a separate reservation for my GF about three weeks later when her schedule freed up and allowed time to accompany me. I was able to get her on 3 of the 4 segments with me, but when I booked her ticket, the connecting flight from FCO to FRA was not available in Z, so I booked a flight leaving 3 hours earlier than mine. Now it looks like there is a z fare open on my FCO-FRA segment. Can I change my GF's reservation to my flight? The fare rules sent to me say "penalty" for changing but are not specific as to opening leg, changing dates, and are not clear whether a change on the originally ticketed day of travel but a marginally later flight would be permitted. Would love any insight from anyone who might have dealt with this specifically on a z fare issued by LH.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 4:22 pm

Just call them. I had z- fares on LH which were refundable and changeable without any fee as long as z is still available. Others are without any of this, others only changes allowed paying a hefty fee. It seems to depend on the country of issuing. Sorry, no exp with US.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: Lots
If it is one of the ZSPHOL* fares you will have to cough up $400 for the change.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It really depends on the exact Z fare you booked. If you mention the exact fare code, we could help you...
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Axey
If it is one of the ZSPHOL* fares you will have to cough up $400 for the change.
Thanks everyone for your advice and knowledge. It does appear to be one of these fares. So is it accurate that *any* change -- even same day and itinerary and with the same fare bucket available would require a $400 change? Seems a little much for keeping the same itinerary on the same date, but rules are rules. I guess we'll both head to the airport early on the day of the return and perhaps get a friendly agent who might let us travel together on the earlier flight since the later flight appears to be sold out in coach.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 1:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
... perhaps get a friendly agent who might let us travel together on the earlier flight ...
These days seem to be gone for good. If your ticket is not flexible, you are supposed to pay for changes. LH actually audits this - it will come back to the agent if s/he violates the rules. Status does not matter - and I don't think the "operational need" you're alluding to matters, either, but perhaps others on this board have more insights into this.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 2:36 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by LH_Fan
These days seem to be gone for good. If your ticket is not flexible, you are supposed to pay for changes. LH actually audits this - it will come back to the agent if s/he violates the rules. Status does not matter - and I don't think the "operational need" you're alluding to matters, either, but perhaps others on this board have more insights into this.
Unfortunately that is exactly my experience also. Just had to rebook such a fare for the last leg, a european flight from FRA, 2 hours later, due to late arrival at the airport because of a huge traffic problem at Frankfurter Kreuz and had to pay 200€. Both flights were empty (Z9).
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:51 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It really depends on the exact Z fare you booked. If you mention the exact fare code, we could help you...
Yep- for example, I found two identical SVG-FRA-SVO Z fares of around NOK 12500. One of them is fully flexible and refundable without penalty, the other one has change penalty and is not refundable. I called up to check if it is a mistake as both fares are the same- it seems that even though it costs the same, they have different flexibility.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: AC, PD First, SPG Plat
If you cannot rebook for free, just try your luck at check-in or the gate. On my last trip in Z, I showed up early at the airport and the checkin agent asked if I wanted to take an earliert flight (for free). I went for it since that gave me some more time in the MUC lounge.

I would hope they'd do the same for you if they still have available seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.