Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH email survey - new economy sleeper seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Which proves once again that FlyerTalk is much, much faster than the media could ever hope to be...

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 18, 2007 at 2:59 pm Reason: remove quote of deleted post
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Which proves once again that FlyerTalk is much, much faster than the media could ever hope to be...
and slightly more accurate:
It is unclear whether the beds would convert from a seating layout.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting concept I'd say. Sort of like sleeper carriages on trains. Still a dozen or so questions left open...

Take off/landing while lying down, where to serve food, where to store carry-on luggage and so on... Bunk assignment will also be interesting, as there will be a significant number of people that cannot use the top bunks because of different health issues etc. Grandma is most likely not going to be happy with a top-bunk...
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by larsll
Interesting concept I'd say. Sort of like sleeper carriages on trains. Still a dozen or so questions left open...

Take off/landing while lying down, where to serve food, where to store carry-on luggage and so on... Bunk assignment will also be interesting, as there will be a significant number of people that cannot use the top bunks because of different health issues etc. Grandma is most likely not going to be happy with a top-bunk...
1. Pax are to sit on the bottom bunk, the middle is converted into a backrest during take off/landing.
2. Food is self service in the galley.
3. Dedicated compartment for carry-on storage in the back.
4. According to the LH survey this is not to fully replace Y class. Part of the Y cabin is default LH Y and part the sleeper. Therefore grandma or people with health issues can happily choose a bit more conservative seating in standard Y.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 18, 2007 at 3:02 pm Reason: request to move actioned
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
New Y sleeper class

Looks a bit like the beds in Swiss nuclear air-raid shelters to me
Actually I have slept in one of those, but it was far from full - if it were full, it's frighteningly intimate and there's an awful lot of noise (snoring). Fortunately in a plane the background noise would cover most of it and you have ear-plugs.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Gold, BA Silver
slave ship?

it's a great concept and I had actually thought that some airline should do this for a couple of years now...but has anyone noticed the picture from the survey looks a lot like a 1700's slave ship?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:57 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by kodachrome
it's a great concept and I had actually thought that some airline should do this for a couple of years now...but has anyone noticed the picture from the survey looks a lot like a 1700's slave ship?
What do you think Y seats llok like ...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: CO plat, DL plat, SPG gold, HH
Having just flown the JNB-FRA-JNB route a few times lately here is my take:

LH economy is really bad so anything they can do to improve would be to benefit. Those 747 are uncomfortable and so crowded. Plus at this stage on a 11 hour flight not even getting entertainment system per seat makes LH really bad.
So beds - please yes as their C class is a pain to get last minute on this route as they are fully booked most times.

Still I rather fly South African as their economy is much better, service is 10 times better and if you fly C class you get flat beds
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
1. Pax are to sit on the bottom bunk, the middle is converted into a backrest during take off/landing.
2. Food is self service in the galley.
3. Dedicated compartment for carry-on storage in the back.
4. According to the LH survey this is not to fully replace Y class. Part of the Y cabin is default LH Y and part the sleeper. Therefore grandma or people with health issues can happily choose a bit more conservative seating in standard Y.
Oh, one thing. Let's hope the guy in the top bunk isn't easily travel sick. It could be interesting with some heavy turbulence.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Imagine LH's new ad campaign....

"Introducing Lufthansa's New Y sleeper class.
Now you don't have to go to the lavatory to join the Mile-High Club!"
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by flysurfer
This is one of the most interesting threads and concepts I have seen so far. It will certainly find its way into TalkMail.
TFM was right once again
Originally Posted by the_nomad
Imagine LH's new ad campaign....

"Introducing Lufthansa's New Y sleeper class.
Now you don't have to go to the lavatory to join the Mile-High Club!"
good one ^
i actually wonder what FAs would say if pax tried to snuggle with their partners. maybe they seperate by sex anyway, to make if feel like Hostel even more... and serve white toast and jam at the snack bar...

but seriously, I like the idea and could imagine goin for it. although I'd prefer if one could also book it at check-in (depending on avail. etc).

great thread btw ^ with very interesting thoughts, e.g. the temp difference top vs. bottom. LH hopefully lurks...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:01 am
Original Poster

I regret that I didn't take a screenshot of the takeoff/landing config of the bunks, there was also at least one more "sleeping config" picture with the curtains on all the bunks, so that it didn't look that open
too late now... Maybe someone else who got the survey email?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by sebastian746
TFM was right once again
Scary, huh?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Scary, huh?
indeed!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
Why not "be free to move about the cabin?"

For really long flights (> 7 hours), why not let people get up from the sleeper berth and get a token that says that they would like to switch to a sitting seat. When someone in a sitting seat wants to go to the sleeper section, he also selects that he wants a token. For hygenic reasons, people could carry their own sheets/pillows back/forth with them.

The in-flight entertainment system (or a low tech box with actual tokens) can make a match and the two can trade places for some time. The process can repeat as necessary if someone wants to get up and take naps repeatedly.

If the flight is not completely full, then even a little spare capacity would guarantee that people could pretty much walk over to the sleeper/sitting section and be sure of getting a place.

If they really want to go whole-hog, then even totally full flights could have easy access if they allow people to offer/accept money to give up their seats/bunks. Then someone can book a sleeper or seat and essentially scalp it for a while during the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.