Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH email survey - new economy sleeper seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flysurfer
I'm wondering how pax, especially elderly and handicapped ones, are supposed to climb into those bunks, particularly the one on top. I don't see any ladders and I can't envison pax merely using the metal frame to climb in and out of their beds in a dark cabin.
They are not supposed to climb anywhere.....

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Another problem might be uneven temperature distribution between the top and the floor level.
That is actually a benefit. Mrs. DUF would love it up on the top bed and a temperature of 27C and I will be happy on the floor.....
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: no
They stole my concept! I always had this idea that all Economy class seats should be bunk beds as in a hostel dormitory! I should have patented my idea comes from travelling too many times in cattle class! I could have made millions if LH went ahead with the concept!!!!!!!!!

Go for it, LH. I will buy a tix on that bunk bed Y class!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:06 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
joke?

this is a joke right?

i mean it would be great having beds to sleep in, but its a pain if you cant sit upright for a 15hour flight..

and if you sleep and try to read , your neck will get problems after a couple of hours.

i guess i would happily pay 200euro instead of spending 3000euro for business class if i can sleep in a full flat bed in economy.

LH should get their C product lieflat before they introduce a flying hostel.

dp
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Come on guys, we are not going to see something like that any time soon so even LH should be able to introduce and install a new biz 180° flat bed...

Also, there won't be any 15 hour flights, all the destinations named won't make any money. HNL? Bogus... SYD? too far away. What's left? nothing seriously Especially nothing with a load for an A380. LH needs those birds for their classic longhoul routes to earn their expenses back.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
One problem I see is when they need to change the configuration - lots of people must be moving about then...

The other thing is that I can't see overhead bins - but maybe that fits under the lowest bed?

Finally, can anybody estimate how many people you can squeeze in per squar metre as compared to the current Y configuration?

SmilingBoy.
they plan to change the seats twice per flight, after take off and before landing.

The hand luggage will be stored in the back of the cabin according to the survey. And as the sleeper section should accommodate about 50 people, I'm wandering what it is going to look like when there is 50 people trying to put their hand luggage into the hold at (roughly) the same time. For your personal items (like passport etc) there should be a small compartment next to your IFE.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Looks like Morgue Class® to me! The BPs will be attached to your big toe with a piece of string - indicating status of course !!
At last - a use for those Senator luggage tags

Is it 01April again ?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:39 am

Programs: LH/LX
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
IFE.
In LH Y? Finally...
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:15 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by andre1970
You guys are too optimistic...

Here's the new LH Y concept!

(Bonus: The new YCT in MUC)

actually not quite that much privacy, see here.
Now, who's the prankster?

OMG, this is one of those awkward moments when reality turns out to be worse than an intentionally stretched joke

Originally Posted by fradoc
But honestly: this would be a great step forward, since this setup allows sleeping in a phyiological position, which means sleeping.
Originally Posted by derpelikan
i guess i would happily pay 200euro instead of spending 3000euro for business class if i can sleep in a full flat bed in economy.
Indeed. There are people out there only caring about sleeping throughout the flight and nothing else. And I think 200 EUR is a fair markup. And I don't see any "privacy" issues, I mean, is the Y cabin (or even C) more private as it is now?

Last but not least, the overall product has to be still below C otherwise we would see self-downgraders, so-called bunk poachers
Originally Posted by derpelikan
LH should get their C product lieflat before they introduce a flying hostel.
They would be stupid if they didn't. And they are not stupid.
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Come on guys, we are not going to see something like that any time soon so even LH should be able to introduce and install a new biz 180° flat bed...
You may have a point here. About 2.5 years ago I got a similar e-mail asking for my opinion about potential in-flight changes, especially on long-haul overnighters. Same questions, went like:"Would you prefer a "sleeper" night flight or a "full service" night flight"? Seems like 2.5 years later they finally managed to draw the picture
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:55 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
[...] About 2.5 years ago I got a similar e-mail asking for my opinion about potential in-flight changes, especially on long-haul overnighters. Same questions, went like:"Would you prefer a "sleeper" night flight or a "full service" night flight"? Seems like 2.5 years later they finally managed to draw the picture
Do you have the Yellow Y flag on your profile ???
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Do you have the Yellow Y flag on your profile ???
Is it yellow?

Actually, who knows... It's been already 2.5 years back since I completed the survey and as you guys know, I've definitely had my fair share of LH Y in the not-so-distant past, which certainly might have been detectable in my profile
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:50 am

Is it yellow?
[...]
Yellow like the Y headrest. Didn't you notice LH changed those small "cloths" with LH logo that covered the yellow Y headrests? They used to be yellow, now theay are white or grey. Probably they recycled them ......?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:13 pm

I cannot believe those who say that this scheme is unworkable!!

The configuration is nearly identical in concept to the couchettes that for years and years were popular on European long-distance trains. (Maybe they still exist, but the fast trains and cheap air fares put an end to many of the couchette routes.) During the day, you'd be sitting 3-across on a bench-type seat. At night, the porter (or in this case, FA) converts the configuration into 3 beds. Obviously, old people (for example, those who remember traveling around Europe sleeping in $10/night couchettes instead of $40/night 1-star hotel rooms) would get the lower bed.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by wideman
I cannot believe those who say that this scheme is unworkable!!

The configuration is nearly identical in concept to the couchettes that for years and years were popular on European long-distance trains. (Maybe they still exist, but the fast trains and cheap air fares put an end to many of the couchette routes.) During the day, you'd be sitting 3-across on a bench-type seat. At night, the porter (or in this case, FA) converts the configuration into 3 beds. Obviously, old people (for example, those who remember traveling around Europe sleeping in $10/night couchettes instead of $40/night 1-star hotel rooms) would get the lower bed.
Couchettes - that is what I thought first! However, there are some differences:
- couchettes (or sleepers, the C and F equivalent) could be used flexibly: if there is high demand, an additional one will be added to the train.
- there is some tendency of couchettes being less accepted. Those who want to take the night train and like to travel comfortable use the sleeper, those who do not spend too much €€€, sit. Different approaches of the railway/service companies creating special rest areas (sleeper seats, bunk-style beds etc. have not been accepted by the price-sensitive clientele)
- of course probable demand on a 15h flight may be different and for a FTer with C fares in mind €200 appear a bargain for 180° (exactly € 2.99 per degree *as opposed to €50 in C), however the price-sensitive Y clientele maybe think different. Hence the detailed survey.

----
* for bean counters: I meant additional degrees of recline compared to the Y seat (23°). For the C tix add € 3000 at max a recline of 83°
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
...for a FTer with C fares in mind €200 appear a bargain for 180° (exactly € 2.99 per degree *as opposed to €50 in C), however the price-sensitive Y clientele maybe think different. Hence the detailed survey.

----
* for bean counters: I meant additional degrees of recline compared to the Y seat (23°). For the C tix add € 3000 at max a recline of 83°
Never ever have I looked upon airfares in terms of bigger angle for the buck! Lovely ^
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:34 pm

Never ever have I looked upon airfares in terms of bigger angle for the buck! Lovely ^
I admit, this is a quite simplistic approach, but it immediately came into my mind...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.