Search

F or C award in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:24 am
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

Programs: SQ
F or C award in August

I'm trying to find a longhaul destination for 4-5 days in August in C or F, to spend some miles (up to 140k). I know that's the worst time of the year for that, but do you have any idea of routes that would be available? LAX would have been good, but i guess I can forget about it...
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:55 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
IIRC, the TATL routes with most I availability are those operated by PrivatAir DUS-EWR/ORD and MUC-EWR. In general, Award availability tents to drop to Zero at around 24 weeks prior to the flight. If seats open up again that will happen from 2 weeks until departure.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: *A
do you know the *A award avail. search on the ANA website?
(few threads here on FT on this...)

just sign up for their FFP and you can use that tool, I found it very useful and also quite reliable when putting together my C-award to Asia just last week for July.

if you tell the LH agents on the phone which flights to look for on other *A airlines they should find them. (at least that way it worked great for me, after they first said: "sorry, nothing available")
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:29 am
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sebastian746
do you know the *A award avail. search on the ANA website?
(few threads here on FT on this...)

just sign up for their FFP and you can use that tool, I found it very useful and also quite reliable when putting together my C-award to Asia just last week for July.

if you tell the LH agents on the phone which flights to look for on other *A airlines they should find them. (at least that way it worked great for me, after they first said: "sorry, nothing available")
Yes I've been using the ANA tool but since you have to check one day after the other for every single distination, I wanted to get your general point of view on availability in Summer time. NYC is a good idea, at least for C, F is another problem...
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Actually, my experience has been that July and August can be good times to get F seats, especially in the week before departure. Fewer business people travelling may explain this phenomenon. I have not found it as easy to find C seats in the Summer, possibly because many people buy Y and upgrade to C with points - and airlines hold back C seats when Y is overselling.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
NYC is a good idea, at least for C, F is another problem...
spending 140k to get F to NYC is a waste in my opinion, flight is way to short to get the full experience.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:17 am

Pick a destination and then only start calling about 2 weeks beforehand.

LH is opening up availability last minute nowadays, and your chances, especially for F will improve greatly.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:23 am
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pacha
Pick a destination and then only start calling about 2 weeks beforehand.

LH is opening up availability last minute nowadays, and your chances, especially for F will improve greatly.
Thanks, that's what I thought, would you say it is valid for LAX as well?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:43 am

i would say its pretty much true for every LH flight, they always open up inventory for upgrades/awards in F if they have unsold seats. problem is there is not many unsold F seats on popular routes. i usually check on expertflyer how flights a couple of days before my flight look, most of the times you get a pretty good picture if it will sell out or not...

sentom
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:00 am
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

Thanks all for your answers...
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
Give the M&M hotline timeframe and desired destinations and preferred airlines . I consider it as their job to search for it and present some options.

Yes I've been using the ANA tool but since you have to check one day after the other for every single distination, I wanted to get your general point of view on availability in Summer time. NYC is a good idea, at least for C, F is another problem...
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the way it should work, J67. But if they're not doing their job and fail to actively explore alternatives, it is up to the inidivdual flyer to do it - or else you might miss out.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Nah, I'm already on all flights from and to LAX.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:53 am

I'm trying to find a longhaul destination for 4-5 days in August in C or F, to spend some miles (up to 140k).
Probably not your favorite, bit if you just want to burn miles regardless of the destination (and weather): Availability on flights to India is very good in August. Plenty of seats available (including LX154/155 to Mumbai) in F, C and even in Y.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:49 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Just used the ANA tool for seeing availability for my Silvester trip to Rio de Janeiro. Yes, there are seats free and now they are booked !!

This is of course a helpful tool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.