Wiki Posts
Search

Check in airside?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Check in airside?

Hi

Finally sorted out my trip to Berlin next week but it now butts onto a trip to GVA on Friday, my itinerary is:

15/10 LHR - CGN
15/10 CGN - TXL

17/10 TXL - DUS 08.15 - 09.20
17/10 DUS - LHR 10.40 - 11.00
17/10 LHR - MUC 12.20 - 15.10
17/10 MUC - GVA 17.10 - 18.20

19/10 GVA - MUC
19/10 MUC - LHR

Unfortunately none of these are etix as for some reason the LH website only sporadically offers me the choice

The ideal would of course be to connect back from TXL in MUC and then beg at the transfer desk for them to see the foolishness in me going back to LHR to then come back 6 hours later but that won't work and the flight won't open up.

So can i check in my trip to GVA at DUS in the morning so i then won't have to go airside at LHR? or is there somewhere at LHR to check in airside (transfer centre?) and would i have to go airside at all?

And finally are there lounges that a humble FTL flying in Y can use at MUC & DUS?

Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by notknownat (edited 10-08-2003).]
Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:24 pm

You are correct: you can just follow the signs to the Flight Connections Centre (FCC). You'll need to go through security, but this avoids immigration, which can take up to an hour at this time of day if you don't have a European passport.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:52 pm

Ithink you can also use the check-in machines if you have a LH ticket with a magnetic stripe on the back....
Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, i have an EU passport.

Just had a small brain wave (for this time of night!) i should just be able to check in for my LHR-MUC-GVA flight at the quick check in at TXL when i'm there in the morning shouldn't I?
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by notknownat:
i should just be able to check in for my LHR-MUC-GVA flight at the quick check in at TXL when i'm there in the morning shouldn't I?</font>
Unless LH changed it this week you can only check in for flights departing at the given airport and subsequent flights on the same ticket on the same day. You cannot check in for flights departing other airports on a different ticket (not at the counter also...).

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:05 pm

I managed to check in to subsequent flights on a separate ticket more than once. Last time was two weeks ago, when a UA agent checked me in to a domestic flight in the US and to the connecting transatlantic flight on LH, which was a separate ticket. It worked with LH in the past, too.

What can help is to have both tickets on the same PNR. I don't know if that's possible once the tickets have been issued, but I would call LH and ask.

Shuly

------------------
Check www.airtravel.tk for on-line air travel resources (fares, availability, seat maps etc.)
Old Oct 9, 2003, 1:43 am

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
As for lounges in MUC and DUS (as well as in LHR, TXL and CGN) you can use the LH Business Class/FTL lounges in all those airports with your LH boarding pass and FTL card.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shuly:
What can help is to have both tickets on the same PNR. I don't know if that's possible once the tickets have been issued, but I would call LH and ask.
</font>
The tickets must be on one PNR, otherwise it won't work. The UA agent was able to check you in because he got access to the whole PNR. If the LH ticket were on another PNR, he wouldn't have gotten access to it.

Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can check in for all flights ex Germany using the FTL Telephone Check-in. Just call 0561 99 33 99. Tele-check-in starts at 6pm the day before the flight and ends one hour before the flight. Stick the ATB coupon in any of the Quick Check-in Machines at the respective Airport to print the gate/seat details. LHR does not allow pax to transfer without security.

As FTL you can also use the LH Business Class Lounges in TXL, DUS, MUC & LHR T2.

Regards Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliver2002 (edited 10-09-2003).]
Old Oct 21, 2003, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice and help everyone.

I tried asking LH to combine the PNRs but they wouldn't because one of the trips was booked with Expedia not direct with them.

So along comes Friday morning and after a number (large) of drinks on Thursday night i ended oversleeping and missing my first flight!

With my best hangdog expression and a poor excuse that i didn't receive my wake up call i go to the ticket desk at TXL to rebook. Of course my flight back to LHR wasn't changeable so out comes the wallet for what was apparently the cheapest ticket on the next flight to MUC, €254 in C, nothing else available.

What did surprise me was that this ticket was then linked on to my LHR-MUC-GVA-MUC-LHR flight even though i wasn't going to use the first segment LHR-MUC and therefore thought the whole ticket would be invalid. I didn't query it too much as it now suited me perfectly (barring the extra cost).

I arrive to MUC for 13.00ish (1st time in the terminal, very nice i thought) and ask if there's anyway to get on the 15.10 to GVA instead of the 17.10 i was booked on, well that was obviously pushing my luck too far especially as the flight was half empty and the early evening flights to GVA are always fullish on a Friday, i'm doing them a favour, would it be returned? no.

Cut a long story short 4 hours of napping in the lounge at MUC sorted my hangover out, just.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.