Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading with expired vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Upgrading with expired vouchers

After having done some research on this board and with M&M I see the following ways to upgrade an intra-european flight (paper ticket) with miles:

1) Order a certificate, book the upgrade with M&M, get the ticket stickered at ticket counter, hand in stickered ticket and voucher at check-in

2) Book upgrade and have miles deducted directly, have ticket stickered at ticket counter and check-in regularly

3) Upgrade with voucher at check-in, hoping there's availibility

4) Upgrade with miles at check-in, hoping there's availibility

With ETIX, you don't have to get the sticker.

Now, I have a little tricky case. Back when I lived in Germany I had expiring miles, and cashed in for 2 intra-europe upgrade certificates (in my name). BUT they expired quite some time ago ...

A friend of mine has LH miles and he owes me - so that would also work.

Now, here's my plan:

1) After ticket is issued call M&M, tell them I have 2 vouchers and upgrade the itinerary (there is plenty of availibility)

2) Go to ticket counter next time I'm at the airport, forgetting the vouchers at home, having the ticket stickered

3) Check-in and hand in the voucher, hoping they don't check the date or take it anyway.

4) If they don't take it upgrade with my friends' miles at check-in (I will take an authorization letter with me and have his PIN).

I would be really thankful for comments, and corrections / additional info regarding my summary above.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance ...
Old Mar 16, 2003, 4:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I won't comment on the rights and wrongs of what you intend to try...to each his own. Personally I try and stick to the rules.

However, my experience has been that check-in staff are pretty consistent in checking the expiry dates of certificates. I have always been asked for the voucher numbers when I make a reservation for an upgrade. Could be that they can reconcile them against an expiry date, in which case you would also be SOL.

As to you taking miles from someone else's account, even if you have an authorization and a PIN....well, if the agent has just caught you trying to use vouchers that are out of date, they might not be too receptive

But, who am I to say........
Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by f4free:
After having done some research on this board and with M&M I see the following ways to upgrade an intra-european flight (paper ticket) with miles:

1) Order a certificate, book the upgrade with M&M, get the ticket stickered at ticket counter, hand in stickered ticket and voucher at check-in

2) Book upgrade and have miles deducted directly, have ticket stickered at ticket counter and check-in regularly

3) Upgrade with voucher at check-in, hoping there's availibility

4) Upgrade with miles at check-in, hoping there's availibility

With ETIX, you don't have to get the sticker.

Now, I have a little tricky case. Back when I lived in Germany I had expiring miles, and cashed in for 2 intra-europe upgrade certificates (in my name). BUT they expired quite some time ago ...

A friend of mine has LH miles and he owes me - so that would also work.

Now, here's my plan:

1) After ticket is issued call M&M, tell them I have 2 vouchers and upgrade the itinerary (there is plenty of availibility)

2) Go to ticket counter next time I'm at the airport, forgetting the vouchers at home, having the ticket stickered

3) Check-in and hand in the voucher, hoping they don't check the date or take it anyway.

4) If they don't take it upgrade with my friends' miles at check-in (I will take an authorization letter with me and have his PIN).

I would be really thankful for comments, and corrections / additional info regarding my summary above.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance ...
</font>
..... and then we ask ourselves why LH cuts "perks" and "services"

Cheers

Thomas
Old Mar 17, 2003, 2:42 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snoopy:
I won't comment on the rights and wrongs of what you intend to try...to each his own. Personally I try and stick to the rules.

However, my experience has been that check-in staff are pretty consistent in checking the expiry dates of certificates. I have always been asked for the voucher numbers when I make a reservation for an upgrade. Could be that they can reconcile them against an expiry date, in which case you would also be SOL.

As to you taking miles from someone else's account, even if you have an authorization and a PIN....well, if the agent has just caught you trying to use vouchers that are out of date, they might not be too receptive

But, who am I to say........
</font>
Is there any way to extend the SEN upgrade vouchers ?
Old Mar 17, 2003, 4:04 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
My experience is as follows concerning the SEN vouchers. I sent in five of them that I had earned for travelling a lot in one month, so they all expired at same time. In the following year I didn't travel much internationally on LH metal so I never got to use them. Even on trips to US it always seemed that I somehow managed to get on a UA plane.

Nonetheless I asked for renewal or possibly simply two new ones. The answer that I received was to the letter of the rules - Sorry, not possible.

And the numbers on the certificates also must have the expiry date in them. I havent analyzed this, but I know when you try to give them an old number, they directly (before the computer complains) ask "Hasn't that certificate already expired?" I don't have any certs here to check if that is really the case.

Good luck with your cause, but I doubt you will find much luck with LH being flexible on old certs.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much - I won't try it then. I appreciate your feedback and advice. This is why I posted this here.

I reflected on the rights and wrongs of this - those 20'000 miles was all I earned on my travel with LH. I wouldn't really feel guilty if I tried this, since I really never got anything from Lufthansa for the miles I collected.

I might call them and ask if they would exchange them for new ones - hinting I might travel more on LH. (Which I probably will, as a matter of act. I don't really feel like asking for a comp yet - but later on it might be more and more LH, and then I will.)

Any thoughts on this?
Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by f4free:
I might call them and ask if they would exchange them for new ones - hinting I might travel more on LH. (Which I probably will, as a matter of act. I don't really feel like asking for a comp yet - but later on it might be more and more LH, and then I will.)

Any thoughts on this?
</font>
I would not get my hopes up to high on either.
From my experience, they do not extend the SEN 50 K vouchers - I have thrown away more than ten of them as I have not been able to use them, or only had old ones when I needed them - and never where they willing to accept an extension - even for 1 when 2 were needed. (For what it is worth - as you refer to the 20K miles that you have earned - I have averaged a few 100K Statusmiles annually for the past few years - then again there are members on the board who have substantially higher levels and I do not know what their experiences are.)
On the second point regarding being comped - I belive that the general opinion on the board is that LH does not comp.
Please feel free to correct if there is other knowledge.

Cheers

Thomas

[This message has been edited by tcswede (edited 03-18-2003).]
Old May 7, 2003, 4:10 am

rare exception to usual LH-stick-to-the-rule attitude:

I recently flew from DFW to FRA in C. My PNR contained a remark from LH ZRH that I intended to upgrade using SEN vouchers. As I forgot the vouchers I did not express my wish to upgrade when checking in. The agent then confirmed my seat preference (window) and told me that today's flight would have a very light load in business class. I did not look at the boarding passes...
onboard I was welcomed by the Purser who directed me to my seat in (surprise!!!) F Class (1A) and I learned that I would be the only pax in F...

I then looked @ my BP, it clearly said 1A and First but it was printed on a regular BP and not the red ones...

No need for vouchers this time

[This message has been edited by garfield5 (edited 05-07-2003).]
Old May 7, 2003, 6:51 am

Programs: LH M/M now,BA Silver,SPG PLAT, Sixt Plat/Europcar Elite VIP
it seems we share the same problem with these vouchers... LH may cut back on perks but BA is increasing them!!! In these touch and uncertain markets, should LH look at their good regular clients, after all who does not get upgraded these days, even without an vouchers???
Old May 8, 2003, 8:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zerbib:
but BA is increasing them!!!</font>
They are? I seem to remember that they were almost rioting recently on the BA forum as a result of programme "enhancements".

Old May 8, 2003, 12:11 pm

Programs: LH M/M now,BA Silver,SPG PLAT, Sixt Plat/Europcar Elite VIP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snoopy:
They are? I seem to remember that they were almost rioting recently on the BA forum as a result of programme "enhancements".

</font>
GREAT SNOOPY THEN LET 'S PUT THIS TO LH, CAN PATRON HELP? THE FACT THAT THEY ARE VALID FOR ONE YEAR IS WRONG! AND WE NEED TO ADDRESS THIS... I AM MAD AT THE COMMENTS I AM GETTING BACK FROM LH
Old May 8, 2003, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

btw, I chucked the vouchers und used miles one way flew coach the other.
Old May 13, 2003, 10:17 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Thank you very much - I won't try it then. I appreciate your feedback and advice. This is why I posted this here.

I reflected on the rights and wrongs of this - those 20'000 miles was all I earned on my travel with LH. I wouldn't really feel guilty if I tried this, since I really never got anything from Lufthansa for the miles I collected.

Any thoughts on this?
</font>
I wouldn't really feel guilty if.........
I never would feel guilty trying to use what you earned !
I would try to use the vouchers from a return flight ! My last return from BKK to FRA they accepted 10k vouchers ( which are only for ow. upgrade within Europe ) for an upgrade to "C" class from BKK to FRA !!!
What a deal 4 * 10k for 4 Pax upgrading BKK to FRA !
I only asked a little stupid if it is possible ...., and the LH transferdesk checked my tickets ( "W"class rt. for 430 EUR ) and said yes ! May be the guys there could not read what kind of vouchers that was ? Or may be just because I asked so nice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.