Wiki Posts
Search

UNUSED HALF OF TICKET

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
UNUSED HALF OF TICKET

I bought a weekend ticket from GVA to MUC return for $364 Euros since the one way fare was over $500 Euros, knowing full well I would only use the GVA-MUC portion of the $364 Euro ticket.

So now that I have half an unused ticket what can I do with it? Looks like over $200 Euro was for the return MUC-GVA. Ideas? I can post further details if needed. Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:46 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Since the airline is going to check the name of the passport against the ticketed name, there isn't really a chance of selling the return on eBay or elsewhere.

I presume from the price of the ticket that it is restrictive, so you most likely don't have any options. If you try to refund it you will theoretically owe them the difference between what you paid for it and the one-way price. I suggest filing it in the circular!

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:09 pm

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I had some of this old unused half tickets in my e-ticket database stored. This was a bit inconcvenient, as every time an agent checked my e-ticket all the old sins came up.
I requested LH to delete this old unrefundable portions and was pleasently surprised to get a refund for the taxes.
Thatīs better than nothing.

Thomas
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:49 pm
Uli

yes, why dont you give it a try!

also, you can even do something with the "restrichted tickets": i was able to even have a 88 Euro intra-german-ticket changed to another date. bad thing, of course, cost for this was 50 Euro (both ways). Most important is you change the ticket BEFORE the date of the flight (dont know if your unused flight date is before now or after).

if you dont know the date when you want to use the ticket, just have it changed to another date over the phone (no cost) to some date in one year, and then, if you really need it, call them again and change it again to the correct date. It will still only cost 50 Euro at the ticket counter. Of course, you can only change it to flights with the same booking class available.

regarding passports: i have never been asked for my passport when checking in FRA or MUC, especially not if I am checking it a check-in machine ....

i would really strongly recommmend LH to check the passports on check-in because otherwise everyone can use your ATM ticket or ETIX if he/she has the ticket or the card. i have never done this myself but i am 100% sure lots of people use this and "share" tickets.

Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:14 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Uli,

I know within Schengen that passports are not checked, neither by the airlines, nor immigration, but how about to Switzerland?

Most recently I have only flown to the US and the machines only let you check-in at the counter. Oh, and a trip to S.A. but I had to check-in at the counter and they checked my passport.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:22 am

I just came back from NCE and they checked passports twice, at check in and at the gate. first time i saw that happening in a schengen country. is there a change in policies?
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:54 am

I think itīs french law to check id and the name on the ticket!
Old Feb 21, 2003, 3:30 pm
Uli

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cbellero:
Uli,

I know within Schengen that passports are not checked, neither by the airlines, nor immigration, but how about to Switzerland?

Most recently I have only flown to the US and the machines only let you check-in at the counter. Oh, and a trip to S.A. but I had to check-in at the counter and they checked my passport.
</font>
Passport control controls your passport. They do not want to see your boarding pass.
At the gate, only boarding pass needs to be with you.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 5:31 pm

Programs: LH/BA/DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by primetime23:
I just came back from NCE and they checked passports twice, at check in and at the gate. first time i saw that happening in a schengen country. is there a change in policies? </font>
Whenever I flew from CDG to Germany on Air France there was an ID/boarding pass check before boarding. It has been around for some years.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 1:33 am

Programs: LH M/M now,BA Silver,SPG PLAT, Sixt Plat/Europcar Elite VIP
it is quite standard in france to check the passport at the gate... in fact, you may encounter this procedure more and more even in Germany with all the new security checks. As for switerzland it is standard too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.