Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW for business travel vs. German taxes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Wow, reading this makes me happy that I am not part of the German tax system. The worst thing which can happen here is that my employer gets hit for Fringe Benefits Tax. Quite amazing that if you save the company money (= more profit = more tax revenues for the federal and local governments) then you will get punished.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The worst thing which can happen here is that my employer gets hit for Fringe Benefits Tax. Quite amazing that if you save the company money (= more profit = more tax revenues for the federal and local governments) then you will get punished.
I believe that most of us discussing this topic are either self employed or members of a tax transparent partnership. On a corporate level it is no different from what you know from Australia: It hits the employer, because certain costs are simply not deductable. And a.s.a. you think about it twice, you will understand that it is nothing but double dipping for the tax authority:
  • You save money = more profit = more tax revenues for the federal gouvernement.
  • Parts of the costs are either not deductable (Germany) or subjet to Fringe Benefit tax (Australia) = more tax revenues for the federal gouvernement.
Great game, isn't it?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Well, it is more about knowing what the game is and play accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.