Community
Wiki Posts
Search

14,095 orphans

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 1999, 8:35 am
Original Poster

14,095 orphans

My fiancee has 14,095 orphan miles on Lufthansa. Can she use these miles for an upgrade on United (or other Star Alliance member)?

Also, what is the expiry policy on these?
Old Jun 8, 1999, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
validity: till end of quarter following 36 months after credit.

with the exception of the LH flights from Buenos Aires - Santiago de Chile (one way upgrade flying LH = 7'500 miles) or Karachi - Dubai (5'000 miles) you can only upgrade on flights starting/ending in Europe with LH, UA, Condor.

the lowest "price" for a return-award-ticket is 25'000 miles (eco in Germany).
Old Jun 8, 1999, 6:33 pm
Original Member

can you bulk them up with either UA flights or Diners Club transfers?
Old Jun 9, 1999, 9:03 am
Original Member

not with a US-Diners-card (I think!?) - but with all StarAlliance carriers.

Sometimes it gives you even more miles using your LH-account on UA flights (UA shuttle give 500 minimum in eco, 1'500 minimum in first on your LH-miles&more-account).
Old Jun 9, 1999, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

OK, let me understand this a bit better...

Does "you can only upgrade on flights starting/ending in Europe with LH, UA..." mean that I could upgrade a UA fare in either direction from North America to Europe?

Also, I didn't see any of the mileage requirements for upgrades posted on Lufthansa's website. Are the requirements the same as United?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 1999, 2:52 am
Original Member

either direction - yes.

No - LH awards cost more miles (US - Europe 5'000 more LH miles&more miles than UA Mileage Plus).

to find the LH award-charts, go to the english LH-home-page:

https://www.lufthansa.com/ehome.htm

than click miles&more

than awards. There you are at:

https://www.lufthansa.com/on-line-schedule/?profile=1&st artFrame=pm_mm_welcome

Typically, LH miles are "worth" 25% less compared with UA - but often you earn them much easier (500 minimum eco UA shuttle, 100% bonus business, 200% first, class-bonus counts for Status, 500 miles per car-rental, as a Senator the award for your partner flying with you costs only 50%).

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 06-10-1999).]
Old Jun 10, 1999, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Rudi!

I checked out the upgrades and they are miles & more than UA! UA offer one-way upgrades from 10,000 miles on certain fares, which is what I was hoping to use. This does beg the question, if I buy a UA ticket and use LH miles for upgrade, am I bound by UA rules or LH rules?
Old Jun 10, 1999, 11:10 am
Original Member

LH rules - for sure.

But LH's upgrades (at least on LH flights, may be also on UA flights), are good, since oct-98, on any fare! Even the very heavily discounted "W" fares. I paid in May-99 DM 499 = $300 for Flying (upgraded to business with LH awards) Frankfurt - Philadelphia // Detroit - Frankfurt.

And LH did credit for one segment even (probably a fault) 100% bonus for business, and on both segments plus 2'500 transatlantic-bonus each (I wasn't aware of any such promotion).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.