Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First from 2008!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: LH HON, AF FB Platinum
Just my two cents: I am not unhappy with LH's F.
Okay, the IFE ist a little yesterday, but it works good.
Okay, there could be a better premium champagne, but what they offer is not too bad.
The seats are fine and comfortable and I like the 83 C always I'm using F.
And then there is the real wonderful service. I never had bas staff in F. And sometimes I've got handwritten personal welcome om my menu card.
I had some good experience from Germany via Dubai to Tokyo with Emirates. But it wont make me change forever.
So I think I'll be a loyal LH customer till 2011 and then retire.
Salve Luigi
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland

Come on, more optimization recommendations, please.

It makes more and more economic sense to fly F. ^
This is easy:

the answer results in the productivity:

Assuming the following:

- your personal average output is, let's say €100 per hour in First.
- Flight segment 11h (possible working time is 6h, the rest is for sleep and food),

Now, assuming that your productivity in C is 50% lesser than in F - ceteris paribus - your output in F is still €100 per hour, and therefore €50 in C (50% less than in F)

-->output in F: €600
-->output in C: €300

Ceteris paribus, initial cost difference of €19 seems to be covered by the output difference of €300.

Therefore the company loses €281 (300-19) per flight when their employee has to fly C. Based on the initial 24 segments per year that means €6744.

It's cheaper to fly F than C

qed
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Perhaps we can all chip in to the cost and actually watch you board your overhead bin !
It hasn't remotelt occured to me that my suggestion would create so much
'positive' feedback .
I shall definitely follow up on this after my diet .
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:15 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
To send him by LH TD Flash air cargo might even be cheaper... The space is the same Just no miles...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
This is easy:

the answer results in the productivity:

Assuming the following:

- your personal average output is, let's say €100 per hour in First.
- Flight segment 11h (possible working time is 6h, the rest is for sleep and food),

Now, assuming that your productivity in C is 50% lesser than in F - ceteris paribus - your output in F is still €100 per hour, and therefore €50 in C (50% less than in F)

-->output in F: €600
-->output in C: €300

Ceteris paribus, initial cost difference of €19 seems to be covered by the output difference of €300.

Therefore the company loses €281 (300-19) per flight when their employee has to fly C. Based on the initial 24 segments per year that means €6744.

It's cheaper to fly F than C

qed
Since when did buying F tickets have anything to do with economics or value for money or even to have to be justifyable ?

Most people I know who only fly F do it because they want the best seat in the house regardless of cost.
My former boss told me after I asked him about the cost of all his full fare F tickets: "Well, somebody has to buy these seats, so it might as well be me"

To put it into perspective, he also regularly charterd a Gulfstream V to fly to New York at about € 100k a pop because he didn't fancy connecting in FRA...kind of cool though if business contacts want to pick you up at JFK and you can tell them you are flying into Westchester !
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:06 pm

Since when did buying F tickets have anything to do with economics or value for money or even to have to be justifyable ?
perhaps not for Hi Net Worths...

Crud, I just miss you in LHR on JAN-6 Rambuster
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
perhaps not for Hi Net Worths...

Crud, I just miss you in LHR on JAN-6 Rambuster
I'm going to be at the CES show in LAS Jan 8th through 10th.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
[QUOTE=Triple3;6876595]So you believe to be in a position where you can judge this? QUOTE]

Well, I can proof it:

NRT-FRA return: new C = 6.500 EUR, F = 11.000 EUR

You wanna get from NRT to FRA, you wanna work, you wanna sleep:

Both products get you from NRT to FRA.
Both products give you the ability to work.
Both products give you the ability to sleep.

Disadvantage of F over C: -4.500 EUR

quod erat demonstrandum

Will review my calculation on NH F tomorrow (in O which makes perfect economic sense...).
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Originally Posted by SMK77
NRT-FRA return: new C = 6.500 EUR, F = 11.000EUR

Both products get you from NRT to FRA.
Both products give you the ability to work.
Both products give you the ability to sleep.

Disadvantage of F over C: -4.500 EUR

quod erat demonstrandum
From a philosophical point of view a statement like q.e.d. does not make much sense.

So:

Oddly enough I get FRA-NRT-FRA in LH F for € 10k. Makes it € 3.5 k difference to C.

Reduce that by our coporate tax rate of 36%; new difference: € 2240.

I assume total time saved in FRA due to faster security checks in the FCT, the limo service, etc. to approx. 30 minutes That reduces the difference to € 1850.

Mileage difference between F and C is 11856. At an equivalent of approx 8 ct per mile (like FRA-LAX O RT with SEN companion award) this amounts to € 948.48. New difference: € 901.52.

These additional HON miles allow me to get the HON card "one flight earlier". My current commuter routing is FRA-SFO-FRA. Having HON status already on the ex-FRA segment will give me additional 2842 miles, which amounts to savings of € 227.36. New difference: € 674.16

I assume time saved in NRT due to faster deplaning, etc. to approx 20 minutes. --> New difference: € 424.16.

Now comes the return flight:

Time saved in FRA on return due to faster deplaning, etc.: 20 minutes. New difference: € 174.16.

So - without making any weird assumptions (like pricing in the additional baggage allowance in F) or pricing the higher employee satisfaction - we come to the conclusion that my company is paying approx. € 8 per hour more for me flying F. IMHO this is worth it, if not I'm open to any discussions with our travel dept. head.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:10 am

You guys are really funny. I am sure you can do the same calculation for why Hermés ties for EUR 160 make more economic sense than no name ties for EUR 15.

Fact is that your company (or your customer) is paying 50% more than necessary to get you in a decent way from A to B. I am in banking and the times where any second rated assistant in investment banking was flying F(because it made so much economic sense) are over.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
I don't see any flaw in SOG's or my own calculation. Pure business reality.

Originally Posted by SMK77
I am in banking ...
Yeah, O.K. Now I know why... Never mind, it could be worse...

Cheers

P.S.: I don't wear Hermés - just not my style.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:49 am

haha. Funny thread!
There are a lot of Hermès ties circulating in the bank I'm working for as well. Personally I don't.
And yes, our top executives fly in F.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The really funny thing is that I hardly ever see anyone actually working in F !
I would also tend to argue that more people actually workin in C during the flight than in F.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by Triple3
I don't see any flaw in SOG's or my own calculation. Pure business reality.
(...)
Just want to add, that 55% average corporate tax is of course WRONG. Don't know, how I came to that Yesterday. Worked the entire afternoon on a calculation, which ended up in 45%, but had NOTHING TO DO with tax. Was not sitting in an F seat, just my office chair. So was probably bored and tired from my calculations...

So, of course the average corporate tax in Germany is ~39% currently and not 55%. Sorry for that mistake in my calculations, which however doesn't change that much.

The really funny thing is that I hardly ever see anyone actually working in F !
I would also tend to argue that more people actually workin in C during the flight than in F.
It depends and I believe it is a quite a bit route specific. FRA-SFO is a typical working cabin in F with many laptops, whereas for example on FRA-MIA hardly one works on the Laptop. However, a laptop in front of one is not the only indication for a working person. I had some of my best ideas for presentations or strategies or products, when sitting in the F cabin. When I can just present one new good idea to my client it pays the F fare X times.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:21 pm

I am about to board my flight back to Germany... ANA in F - where I will buy one of the deep discounted Hermès ties... ;-)

Merry Christmas to all of you guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.