Wiki Posts
Search

Worst flight ever - kids next to me and an FA disliking my "attitude"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Forgive me if I'm out of place (as I never frequent the LH board), but IMO OP acted like a very bratty self-entitled pax from the start. Even at that magical SEN level, OP expected too much. And labeling a 40 minute flight "Worse flight ever"... yikes.

I find no sympathy for the situation as described. Please, don't consider becoming "AA_fan."
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:05 pm

Wow! Bad flight.
It is OK for you to get upset.
It is NOT ok for the FA to get upset. She is BEING PAID to be there, and you
have PAID to be there. Guess what? She just has to put up with it. And don't give me the crybaby excuses we see on here about the "poor FA". ANYONE who works with the public has to put up with "stuff", and handle things professionally. It comes with the job, and if you can't handle it - get ANOTHER JOB working alone.
It sounds to me as though she was trying to publicly humiliate you.
She also could have created an even more hostile situation by making those obviously irritating "apologies" to the mother. I'm sure she did this not to affect an actual apology, but rather to simply irritate and further embarass you.
I would file a complaint with the airline if you got names.
The PURSER is also doubly at fault for putting up with this attitude from the FA toward a customer.
She did not behave professionally and should be disciplined by her employer.
Period.
Regarding the above poster - you did not get what you paid for if your personal space was being violated by kicks and other intrusions.
You are entitled to the space you paid for.
The whole "lap child" concept is rubbish because they KNOW that child is not going to remain in the space of the parent's seat.
If you're one of their most valued customers, you should be given much better treatment. She should have just poured the miserable glass of wine and just kept her smart mouth closed. Anyone with an IQ over 70 could see that you would be uncomfortable in your seating conditions!

Last edited by Flyingfox; Aug 26, 2006 at 12:15 pm
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Crewlounge
Hi Sentom.
we are not allowed to serve business class products to economy class passengers.
Any flight attendant who ignores this company policy receives a "nice" invitation for an official discussion joined by his supervisor. Worst case, the FA might loose his job.
Company policy is: You get what yor pay for. If a passenger wants red wine he is supposed to buy a business class Ticket.
Even the emporer of china :-)
Best regards,
Crewie

Last edited by KIMCHIFLYER; Aug 27, 2006 at 4:00 am
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, EK Gold, Sixt Plat, HHonors Gold
Please stop this "you get what you paid for" BS. This is Ryanair attitude, I'm expecting a bit different one from Lufthansa. If they'll sink to that level, no reason to pay premium fares (even in Y) any longer. Special treatment is (even it you're sometimes not entitled to) what distinguish LH from others.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH MM
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Wow! Bad flight.
It is OK for you to get upset.
It is NOT ok for the FA to get upset. She is BEING PAID to be there, and you
have PAID to be there. Guess what? She just has to put up with it. And don't give me the crybaby excuses we see on here about the "poor FA". ANYONE who works with the public has to put up with "stuff", and handle things professionally. It comes with the job, and if you can't handle it - get ANOTHER JOB working alone.
It sounds to me as though she was trying to publicly humiliate you.
She also could have created an even more hostile situation by making those obviously irritating "apologies" to the mother. I'm sure she did this not to affect an actual apology, but rather to simply irritate and further embarass you.
I would file a complaint with the airline if you got names.
The PURSER is also doubly at fault for putting up with this attitude from the FA toward a customer.
She did not behave professionally and should be disciplined by her employer.
Period.
Regarding the above poster - you did not get what you paid for if your personal space was being violated by kicks and other intrusions.
You are entitled to the space you paid for.
The whole "lap child" concept is rubbish because they KNOW that child is not going to remain in the space of the parent's seat.
If you're one of their most valued customers, you should be given much better treatment. She should have just poured the miserable glass of wine and just kept her smart mouth closed. Anyone with an IQ over 70 could see that you would be uncomfortable in your seating conditions!

I agree. Receiving money for what you do, defines you as being a professional. And the FA's behavior was not at all professional. I certainly wouldn't have reacted the same way as the OP but I do symphasize. And I also think status does matter. Why else would you have the whole status matter in the first place? You spend a lot of time on airplanes as a frequent flyer and there are certainly nicer places to be. So just give him the darn wine, wish him a decent remaining flight and wish him a more pleasant experience on LH next time. And if an FA is being interviewed because of this afterwards, explain the situation exactly that way and he/she will have no problems at all.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Sixt Platinum, Lufthansa FTL
I disagree, status means they will give you some benefits during your trip, but at the end of the day you are paying an economy ticket. That means, there is a chance of having a kid next to you and it means no wine. Well if you have a kid next to you, bad luck, you can ask the parents to make sure he stays in his seat. Regarding the wine, I think that she should not have given it to him since then everyone else also will want. If you go to a restaurant you pay for wine and get it, just because you eat there a lot there is no reason to get it for free. So she reacted unprofessional but that was after getting a not nice treatment for a kid thats not her fault and a telling of for wanting something that you didnt pay for bec. you are a senator. She was wrong but two wrongs dont make a right.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: sq solitaire;LH-Sen
Originally Posted by LH_Fan
I was flying ZRH - FRA Friday evening in Y. Checked at the gate about improving the seat situation, was told flight was full, ended up in 15D. After I got seated, not two but three persons joined - a father with two kids (one of them obviously a "lap child"). Mother with another kid had two seats in the next row.

Naturally, I was not too happy. Dad took the middle seat, kids climbed around a bit. After takeoff, one kid was on Dad's lap for the remainder of the flight. The kid was actually not behaving too badly (note that this entire post should not be read to imply that I would blame the babies in any of this - this is about LH and how they seat their pax), but every now and then, there would be some intrusion into my space, including an occasional kick - and whilst the kids were far from crying all the time, there was naturally more noise than you would normally expect coming from the seats next to you.

I was fuming at LH for doing to me what I would consider to be the opposite of seat blocking. If LH wants to sell lap seats, surely the onus should be on them to make sure that those pax who paid for a full seat do not suffer from this - regardless of status?!

In any case, it got much worse: Eventually, drink service hits row 15. One cart, FA, next cart (from C), Purserette (is there an abbreviation for this? I'll go with "P" for purposes of this post). FA asks "What would you like to drink?", I go "Still water and red wine, please". FA goes "We have Sekt and beer, sir", I go "the wine bottle is less than half a meter away from you", she goes "you'll have to fly C for this". By that time, I'm in a really bad mood, my sentiments towards LH take over and I respond "I'm a senator, I would have expected seat blocking, instead I'm now sitting next to these kids, and I'd like some wine, please." The tone in which I said that was probably a bit on the rough side, too. I know I should not have done this - both pulling a DYKWIA and linking two completely unrelated issues (wine service in Y and kids).

Here's what happened next: FA says to P in a loud voice: "This passenger is having a problem with sitting next to these kids and would like some wine." She then pours wine for me. Next she addresses mom in the row behind me: "I'm very sorry, madam, that you had to hear this." She then went and got mom some LH stuff in an LH plastic bag as compensation. Throughout the remainder of the flight, she shot occasional punishing glances my way - and prior to landing, she approached me (nobody else IIRC) and asked me to put the back of my seat in the upright position - I had not touched the seat during the entire flight and it already was perfectly upright.

As I deplaned, I had a brief conversation with P and the FA. This led to the "conclusion" that both I and the FA acted inappropriately. I'm still completely fuming over this even almost a day later, though, so I believe I will send a letter to LH. Being exposed like this to other pax on the plane is just completely unacceptable - regardless of what the FA felt about me. I've never felt worse on a plane in my entire flying career.

Regardless of this (which is the main reason for this post), there's also the issue that status at LH can get completely worthless at times. Not having seat blocking available on full flights is one thing, being seated next to kids who WILL intrude into your space is quite a different matter.

Well, I'll be flying BA FRA - LHR on Monday for the first time ever (cheapest LH Y fare was more than €500 - BA offers a cheapo inflexible C fare @ €270 - five of those and I'll be BA Silver). I would not even have checked ba.com but for this incident. I'll try to avoid setting my foot on LH metal anytime soon if I can.

One last thing: Is there a way to add "Former_" to one's handle? [and I really mean it!!!]
Hi,
I do not comment on your -behaviour/reaction creates response-in all kind-
But what can be realized- a status customer on LH flights on flight is not longer a status customer flying in Y or M, other economy classes! This is proved!
On the flight emotion vs rules is against rules!So it can hapens that so many "status customers with their miles backing" wait for upgrade at the gate (funny to monitor at the gate)and joung couple on Honnymoon get it.
You should see the reaction of some SEN-People when this happnens
Thats live.
Its not funny what happened to you-but worse situations can happen.-"overweighted, smelly "person next to you on long hauls.
Kids gets sleepy !Massy people never .or noisy when sleeping.
Cheers-and dont be worry

Last edited by krisflyerexkul; Aug 26, 2006 at 1:40 pm Reason: forgot a dash
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, BA, DL
[reference to deleted posts deleted]

Kudos to ulev and sentom for sharing their views about my behavior without letting me feel worse than I already do. Thanks to those that expressed some sympathy with my feelings. To the others - thanks as well, I hope I'll be learning from the feedback.

While I feel that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, which can - stereotyping or not - be quite educational, I certainly do not care about yet another LH flight attendant trying to educate us on this board about how they can be fired for being flexible for their premium customers - I've been on the receiving end of that flexibility many times, and enjoyed it very much. Then again, I've had it with LH FAs for now anyway, so just go ahead ...

Just another thought (since I've been accused for behaving in this fashion) - could it be that LH brings out the [expletive deleted] in quite a few of us by setting expectations that could not be more wrong?!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 27, 2006 at 1:44 pm Reason: delete references to deleted posts
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: sq solitaire;LH-Sen
I feel-personally some Frequent TRV-incl. SEN believe that they someting special on LH FLIGHTS- MY EDIT. FTGV none to Nothing -WORTHLESS, SEN-some BENEFITS- HON MORE ONE OF THE "SOME" BENEFITS OF SEN-some are not replicable.

cheers

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 27, 2006 at 1:46 pm Reason: deleted reference to deleted post
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Tp the OP and the OT.

It is an oddity with seat assignments on LH that the agents seem to have trouble
locating the kids. I am not good with minors myself and hence often get asked specifically
upon check-in, at the lounge, and at the gate to be moved if there's a child
next to me.
On UA that works - well - medium well. But on LH, I quite consistently - that is if
the agent is willing to help and does not pull the 'flight is full' card - get the
answer, after some struggling, that they cannot see the kids in the map. They
can see infants but no kids. The fact that they get kid fares does not propagate
(not sure this is a good word in the context of kiddos) into the seat maps.
So while I feel with the OP, there was little the crew could have done to save
you from that fate ... one hour fate to be more specific.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:22 pm

Hi!

Quite amazing where this thread ended up
My opinion:
Of course it can be annoying when little kids next to you kick you (and I think there is no difference between first-time-flier or SEN). Actually parents should be able to "control" this a bit, but not all of them are really doing this, which is not really polite towards your fellow travellers, imo
However, you also have to imagine that little kids might be quite upset in planes. But hey, it was only a 40-min-flight. I once had the same problem on a MRU-SEZ-CDG-flight on AF. One kid was vomitting all the time, and the other one was kicking the backside of my seat for about 2 hours without any pause, not really nice However, when crew changed in SEZ the new FA immediately saw the reason for this, suddenly two baby-baskets appeared, the two little guys were put into them and slept all the way long

Maybe the FA on the ZRH-flight did not behave as she should have done, but don't we all have bad days? I think no one can say that s/he always behaves like s/he should do, also in job. I think it shouldn't be such a drama as actually no really harm was done.

Also can't say much about the special treatments you are entitled to as SEN, but I personally don't like it when people come, say "I'm this or that special person / have this or that special status, so hurry up and get me this or that, and shouldn't it be here already?". Of course I know that it is a different cup of tea when you really paid a lot for a ticket in F or so and there are problems (and a friendly and polite tone should always be used when you have a problem), but it was just about a glass of wine and 40 mins in Eco Just imagine what other Eco-travellers might think when they listen to such a conversation starting with "I'm SEN, so...". Many FTs and SENs only have this status because they travel a lot for business and their employers practically pay for all this. But many people need to save money for a long time to be able to go on vacation with their family. So I think they should be treated with the same respect and attention like people who fly almost every day.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 27, 2006 at 1:50 pm Reason: deleted discussion of stereotypes
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:39 pm

Thumbs down Sorry, but I think you are in the wrong.

C'mon a 40 minute flight?

You paid for one seat. You don't have the right to dictate what type of pax are seated next to you. If you want it empty buy two seats. Should a highly (self) important senator not have to sit next to fat people or people traveling with kids

Similarly, you 'status' does not entitle you to seat in a higher cabin of service or enjoy it's food and beverage. If you are flying Y, then expect to choose from the Y food and beverage chart. If you want wine on your 40 minute flight and lots of personal space, fly business.

You got what you precieved to be a choice seat "close" to C and close to the Exit. That was a result of your status. So by your logic because you were seating 'near' the bottle of wine, she might as well just pour you a glass

Sorry to be harsh , but just my 2c As a Senator you should know that Economyis uncomfortable. That's why they call it Economy

welcome to FT
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:43 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by writetorich

'status' does not entitle you to seat in a higher cabin of service
Thumbs Up. Never heared an AA FF say that ....

Cheers, S
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by LH_Fan
Just another thought (since I've been accused for behaving in this fashion) - could it be that LH brings out the [expletive deleted] in quite a few of us by setting expectations that could not be more wrong?!
Yes, that could very well be, and I would say the experience is in no way limited to LH. Still, this should not allow us, the passengers, to fight back in any way we like. Somebody has to keep up some decency in this world.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 27, 2006 at 1:50 pm Reason: edited quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jossijoe
You could have asked his/her parents nicely please make sure your kid does not kick me.
Why should I ask nicely? The parents are being selfish and rude by, first, taking the child on as a lap child and not buying a separate seat and placing the child in a car seat; and second, by allowing the child to kick me.

The parent is entitled to every bit as much courtesy as they gave, which is virtually none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.