Search

Airport tax refunding!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Exclamation Airport tax refunding!

With all this LHR /British airport mess... is it a rule that i can claim my airport tax for an unused flight? We all know how much the tax is and it does build up if you keep changing ur itinerary.

I've a return CX/ BA metal trip to LIS, half a CX trip to HKG(re-routed but paid for alt airport tax and re-route supplement), and an unused LH trip to LHR from FRA(due to the reroute)

There were threads talking about this but I have yet to succeed in claiming...

Any experience on LH airport tax refunding? And what's the process?

Tax leaving LHR is quite a lot AFAIK!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by kaka
Any experience on LH airport tax refunding? And what's the process?

Tax leaving LHR is quite a lot AFAIK!
LHR airport charges are about average. The killer is Air Passenger Duty, which is a UK government tax of £40 if you are in a premium class on a non-EU service. It's a tax on air travel and goes straight to UK exchequer, nothing to do with airports. If you were simply connecting at LHR, you would not pay APD, only the airport charge.

Airlines generally refund taxes and charges: having separated them from air-fares they kindof have to!

The process for refund starts with speaking to the airline.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:27 am

On several occasions I've needed to cancel non-changeable / non-refundable tickets. I called the UK number for lufthansa, spoke to the agent explaining that I wouldn't be travelling so can I have a refund of taxes and charges. I think they keep £5 (or maybe 5€) for administration but the balance was refunded to my card quite promptly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.