Community
Wiki Posts
Search

os reducing/stopping service to australia ???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If the flight isnt far ahead there may be no availability in V, Q, etc on SQ and thus need to use a higher booking class
Good one ^
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:42 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drleyes:
Originally Posted by ACfly
Entschuldigen. Ich verstehe nicht. ist das English oder fehlerhaft Deutsche?
It's just flawed English. Just says:

"Did you borrow roundtheworld's keyboard?"
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Entschuldigen. Ich verstehe nicht. ist das English oder fehlerhaft Deutsche?..
It's fehlerhaftes English ... and your chance to take revenge on me for picking on
you for your post on "AUA English" .
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by weero
It's fehlerhaftes English ... and your chance to take revenge on me for picking on
you for your post on "AUA English" .
I didnt realize you were picking on my post.. Then again I am still trying to understand the german humour! Maybe there was a sarcasm in your post, but I fail to detect it as a simple Canadian. We tend to not look for those, and that's probably why Canada is so.. how shall I say it.. quiet.

No sarcasm intended.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I didnt realize you were picking on my post.. Then again I am still trying to understand the german humour! ..
Not that I am an expert on German humour .. my 'evil' comment then was
to claim that the spelling mistakes in your post were induced by reading the
AUA magazine .. so nothing too malicious or sarcastic.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:27 pm

Long time no talk... but I do have news

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
austrian newspaper "der standard" reports that os intends to cancel/reduce its service to australia. further details will be announced next tuesday.

source (german only)

CHris
Just spoke with an Austrian Sales Executive. The pull-out is planned for 31/3/07; final decison to be made by 12/206.
They need more paying passengers in Business and lower fuel prices (didn't hedge enough).

Would be sad if they pull out, now that they finally upgrade their product.
It also means making quickly use of the vouchers, I guess there is no other M&M route that gives such good yield for the vouchers... Guess it's time to fly-in the inlaws.... may be not.... maybe I should use the flights for my flights and the save the company some money... that's not good either...
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by cityroamer
They need more paying passengers in Business and lower fuel prices (didn't hedge enough).
Not me, as I will eventually cancel my 2 paid Business reservations to SYD in December due to OS not installing Connexion. I'll go with EK F instead, which isn't that much more expensive, offers me more interesting stopover opportunities and carries me as far as AKL.

I couldn't care less about those M&M 50,000 status/award miles, and I'll still get UA MP award miles when flying EK.

Last edited by flysurfer; Jul 31, 2006 at 10:58 pm
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Not me, as I will eventually cancel my 2 paid Business reservations to SYD in December due to OS not installing Connexion. I'll go with EK F instead, which isn't that much ore expensive, offers me more interesting stopover opportunities and carries my as far as AKL.

I couldn't care less about those M&M 50,000 status/award miles, and I'll still get UA MP award miles when flying EK.
Didn't know that Connxion is such a good sales feature. Even if available, I am not using it too often. Sending emails 12 hrs later doesn't effect my business that much.

EK First certainly is an argument, but since nobody pays that for me I would have to fly EK Business and it does not impress me that much.

I understand what you say about the M&M miles and vouchers. Unfortunately I still have 10 of them.... and if OS doesn't fly that rout anymore I can't upgrade friends and family anmore from Y to C. Guess I have to use them on LH C to F out of BKK or SGP....
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by cityroamer
Just spoke with an Austrian Sales Executive. [...]
[OFFTOPIC RANT ON]
Why is it that even Sales Executives seem to think that fuel hedging (or not) should affect their decision whether to run a route or not? If you are hedged at a lower cost than the current price, you can always sell those contracts at the higher price, and pocket the difference, as this contracts are fully tradeable. This implies that the marginal cost of fuel is equal to the current price, as this is the opportunity benefit of not flying and selling the fuel. So, the marginal cost of fuel is the same whether you are hedged or not, and therefore, your decision whether to fly a route or not should not be affected by your hedging position. If Austrian Airlines don't understand that, I can see why they are not making any money. (Incidentally, hedging is used to smoothen your financial performance and to prevent you from going bankrupt.)
[OFFTOPIC RANT OFF]

SmilingBoy.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
[OFFTOPIC RANT ON]
Why is it that even Sales Executives seem to think that fuel hedging (or not) should affect their decision whether to run a route or not? If you are hedged at a lower cost than the current price, you can always sell those contracts at the higher price, and pocket the difference, as this contracts are fully tradeable. This implies that the marginal cost of fuel is equal to the current price, as this is the opportunity benefit of not flying and selling the fuel. So, the marginal cost of fuel is the same whether you are hedged or not, and therefore, your decision whether to fly a route or not should not be affected by your hedging position. If Austrian Airlines don't understand that, I can see why they are not making any money. (Incidentally, hedging is used to smoothen your financial performance and to prevent you from going bankrupt.)
[OFFTOPIC RANT OFF]

SmilingBoy.
The last time I spoke with OS managers about their efforts to hedge fuel, they pointed out that they get a certain % from Eastern Europe at lower prices through MV pipelines. They were pretty grateful for the kind usage fees, so it surprised me a bit that they took them to court, but that was pre tsch during the Soerensen days...

While I agree with your comment generally, I doubt that selling Eastern European oil exported through MV pipelines can be done by OS.

If they could, I would stop at Schwechat next time on my way to the airport to fill up the Sixti Smart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.