Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First LH F experience - what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by FtlAOI
Well I cannot really second this statement.
Without doubt the FCT is very nice and always worth a visit but I would not take a flight in the morning to FRA for example when my other flight is leaving in the evening just to spend the whole day in the FCT...

Moreover one of the real benefits in F is that you have a nice real lie flat bed and a very quiet environment which enables you to sleep very well. So therefore when I am tired I always try to get a nap and I would never force myself not to sleep just to enjoy the IFE which is not something earth shattering compared to the new IFE C product. The food and drinks a very mostly delicious but do you want to eat and drink the whole flight Not really IMO!
BCH asked how to maximize the F experience.

So, enjoying the FCT for 5 or 10 hours is a longer/greater F experience than spending just 1 hour there, at least for me. That's the reason for my first statement.

My second statement means that you don't really get much out of your F experience if you're just sleeping. Sleep is good but nobody would say that one sleeps better in the flat-bed on an aircraft than in your own bed at home. If you have to sleep because you have to be on duty after arrival, it's a different matter.
You can enjoy the benefit of the seat by reclining, relaxing and enjoying a good movie or drink because than you are aware of the F experience. Or just read the newspaper in a chilly seat-position. That's First Class in my view! I don't really feel the F experience when I'm sleeping. I take benefit of a good sleep at my origin and destination.

But I don't want to argue with you about the correct way of enjoying a flight. There, everybody has to find his own "style".

Last edited by jpberendes; Mar 21, 2006 at 10:30 am
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
jpberendes ^
I think, you understood correctly what BCH wants.

FtlAOI, I don't know how you can afford to travel in F/Cl regulary, but please realise that for most of us without F/Cl-travel policy-companies, high salary, rich parents etc. flying F/Cl is something very special, a real desirable event! Thus, it is quiet understandable that jpberendes (and others) don't want to sleep during that time or stay longer in the FCT.

I have never flown in F/Cl so far. However, when will make my first F/Cl, I weill prefer to spend some time in the FCT (maybe not 10 hours like jpberendes) instead of taking a connection time of 45min in FRA.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
I did have a choice of either a 50 minute connection or having a few hours in the FCT so decided to go with the latter to give me chance to fully benefit from the experience.
I fully understand where others come from, where if they are working the same day or early the next they just want to get there as quickly and as comfortably as possible. My situation is different however where I don't have to work until the next day, and that the only chances I get to fly F are on an award ticket or an op-up for the rare times I fly C, and so want to get the most from my experience as it may be another 20-30 years before I get a job where I can fly F or even C all the time.
If I was flying as much as some of the others on this forum however I'd definitely consider it crazy to take excessive routings just for a lounge, but I guess once you have done it once its just all the same.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by jim739
I did have a choice of either a 50 minute connection or having a few hours in the FCT so decided to go with the latter to give me chance to fully benefit from the experience.
I fully understand where others come from, where if they are working the same day or early the next they just want to get there as quickly and as comfortably as possible. My situation is different however where I don't have to work until the next day, and that the only chances I get to fly F are on an award ticket or an op-up for the rare times I fly C, and so want to get the most from my experience as it may be another 20-30 years before I get a job where I can fly F or even C all the time.
If I was flying as much as some of the others on this forum however I'd definitely consider it crazy to take excessive routings just for a lounge, but I guess once you have done it once its just all the same.
I think, you should make yourself comfortable in the FCT. Have a great lunch and a couple drinks and enjoy your trip.

The FCT is for one time F travellers as well as for the once-a-week travellers. I myself can say, that (if possible) I try to arrive just a little earlier in the FCT (for all domestic and intra-europe flights). This way I can have a relaxed breakfast, lunch or dinner and I can decline the airline food later. But in F there is no reason to decline. So plan your FCT meal after short your arrival in order to be hungry again in the air.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: LH Sen
Originally Posted by jpberendes
But I don't want to argue with you about the correct way of enjoying a flight. There, everybody has to find his own "style".
I know that the question was actually how to maximise the F experience. But IMO you also get a very nice experience when you take a sleep in the on your more than comfortable F seat since when you're travelling in Y f.e. you don't have these extraordinary comfort and this also does belong to a full F experience.
Moreover the FCT ir really amazing and you should definitely use the opportunity to go there...
But it is sufficient to stay there for 2 or 3 hours since in that time you can enjou all the luxury and service there!

I didn't want to destroy your anticipation or whatever.
And bau31888 calm down I don't have to opportunity either to pass by at the FCT very often since I am not a HON and I am only travelling in F very seldom so I am definitely not too spoilt in this matter.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: LH Sen
It seems that some have misunderstood me therefore I want to clarify:

1. Without doubt the FCT is very special. Nice drinks and food, excellent service and a terrific environment. Especially the car service is in my opinion something very extraordinary.

2. Flying F on the plane is something very special you normally don't have very often. Therefore you should really enjoy your time onboard.

BUT e.g. for me flying F means that everything is so relaxing which means no stress usually since LH is taking care of everything.
What makes F so special is that you can decide when you want to eat, to sleep, to relax or to watch a movie. So when I am tired then I am taking a sleep and don't try not to fall asleep.
But actually everybody can use his F flight as he wants to.
Enjoy your F flight you will not get disappointed!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
I think, you should make yourself comfortable in the FCT. Have a great lunch and a couple drinks and enjoy your trip.

The FCT is for one time F travellers as well as for the once-a-week travellers. I myself can say, that (if possible) I try to arrive just a little earlier in the FCT (for all domestic and intra-europe flights). This way I can have a relaxed breakfast, lunch or dinner and I can decline the airline food later. But in F there is no reason to decline. So plan your FCT meal after short your arrival in order to be hungry again in the air.
Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to my trip and first LH F experience now.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by FtlAOI
What makes F so special is that you can decide when you want to eat, to sleep, to relax or to watch a movie. So when I am tired then I am taking a sleep and don't try not to fall asleep.
Correct! You feel like sleeping? You sleep! You're hungry? You eat! You wanna take a shower after 12 hrs of flight? You go to the FCT after arrival and help yourself.
But, forcing experiences is not equivalent to "maximizing the F experience". As FtlAOI says, the F experience is all about convenience, not "test-driving" the facilities. That is, I'll take a shower at home and then, once in the airport, I'll only have breakfast/lunch/dinner in the FCT. I don't need to take a shower there again! I won't stuff my belly in the FCT unless I plan to skip the menu onboard and sleep. Consuming the whole selection of malts in the FCT doesn't exactly help me watch the movies on board. So "maximizing the F experience" sounds really futile if you don't define it by convenience only. Mind you, that doesn't depend on the number of times you fly F. I thought that this was obvious! Myself, I don't like champagne. Am I gonna drink a couple from the Côte des Blancs on board just to maximize the F experience?! Give me a break...

Last edited by andre1970; Mar 21, 2006 at 10:28 pm
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by andre1970
Consuming the whole selection of malts in the FCT doesn't exactly help me watch the movies on board.
ROFL

Actually, cosidering the kind of movies Hollywood turns out recently, maybe it would help.

Anecdote from my days as a poor, non-FTing movie critic: I vividly remember Disney installing a cocktail bar in the Munich MAXX theatre and making sure that every reviewer had plenty before they startet the COYOTE UGLY screening. Strangely enough, I found the movie entertaining.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:07 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Anecdote from my days as a poor, non-FTing movie critic: I vividly remember Disney installing a cocktail bar in the Munich MAXX theatre and making sure that every reviewer had plenty before they startet the COYOTE UGLY screening. Strangely enough, I found the movie entertaining.
Why not? Nice chicks!

(I think I just revealed my cinematographic culture )
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Any difference in F service from FRA to SFO/DEN/PDX?

I'm considering redeeming a Star Alliance award for LH F to experience the FCT and am wondering if there are any differences I should know about in the FRA- SFO/DEN/PDX service. I know that SFO and DEN are on the 747 and PDX on the A340 -- other than the different seats and seat config, are there any other differences (IFE, food, etc.) I should be aware of?

I've never flown the A340 so I'm kinda tempted to route via PDX but on the other hand think I might enjoy the FCT more if I went for the DEN flight (b/c SFO and PDX both leave in the morning, whereas DEN leaves ~2pm)...

Any and all insight appreciated!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
If you get Susi in the FCT, tell her Will says hi. She's usually there after 12:00, and she's amazingly gracious. I spend too many hours a month there, and it's terrific.

Will
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:43 pm

As the handle states, I am a tall flyer and flying with my gf in first from BOS-FRA (connecting on to ATH), looking at the seat maps the best choice, assuming I want to sit with her is the middle block. I recall from a flight in C once that the bulkhead suffer from slightly less legroom due to the wall, though from a flight in AA F I recall that the back of the "cocoon" in front causes a similar issue in other rows..

Any comments/advivce on LH ? (Flying on 343 config)

As also discussed in this thread I could just enjoy the service, but grabbing some sleep is good too
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by Tall Bloke
Any comments/advivce on LH ? (Flying on 343 config)
As also discussed in this thread I could just enjoy the service, but grabbing some sleep is good too
Yes, BOS-FRA is a really short hop. Anyway, "legroomwise" it does not matter if you are in 1DG or 2 DG. In row 1 you will have the galley in front of you, in row 2 you will have -guess what-row 1 in front of you. There maybe some more galley/WC noise in row 1.
Enjoy your flight and the FCT,
fradoc

Last edited by fradoc; Apr 17, 2006 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GfL
"How should I make the most of my FIRST class experience?"

If the aircraft is a 744, ask for Row 82 or 83, preferably aisle.

If there isn't enough time to go to FCT, you can use one of the FC lounges near your gate. They are as good as but more intimate than FCT but instead of being driven to the plane, you just walk to the gate. The staff in black suits in one of the FCL (near Gate 82) look like Hugo Boss models.

Or you could skip FRA, fly to DUS or MUC and take the all business class PrivatAir by LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.