Search

Who flies in LH F?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH Silver
Who flies in LH F?

In another thread FtlAOI wrote:

[...]the dragon at the front desk of the Lounges was watching me from top to feet with a very strange expression and after inspecting me for a while she was asking me with a smile on her face: "Do you think you fit in the First Class properly?"
I am curious and I was wondering what sort of people typically fly in LH First Class. I used to have the usual preconception: CEOs, movie stars, financial service people charging their clients (investment bankers, consultants, lawyers), etc., but I am not sure this is actually true.

Alas, I have only flown F once, when I upgraded a C ticket FRA-JFK using miles. Looking around the cabin I don't think my expectations were correct. There was mabye one person who matched them: He seemed to be some senior executive at Gruher & Jahn. The rest seemed like a very mixed bunch: An Italian family that was obviously returning to NYC, where he seemed to have a well paid job; A guy studying inventory lists of fashion items; Lots of German men in their forties and fifties travelling alone, but for most of them I don't think they were bankers, consultants or lawyers, more like (midlle-)managers or even engineers.

The usual asortment of consultants, pharma sales people, lawyers, etc. could be found in C.

In the interest of full disclosure: I am in my thirties, have a decently paid job in technology in the US, do not travel for buiness and would not be willing/able to pay for F, but would pay for C (well Z anyway).
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:07 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Originally Posted by gunnar
In another thread FtlAOI wrote:

I am curious and I was wondering what sort of people typically fly in LH First Class. I used to have the usual preconception: CEOs, movie stars, financial service people charging their clients (investment bankers, consultants, lawyers), etc., but I am not sure this is actually true.
Regarding to flysurfer: People with mojo...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:35 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Yachtsurfer...

The people in F very much depend on the route. The bankers and consultants fly LHR-JFK, one can assume. SFO-FRA, SFO-HKG, many wealthy people from California, e.g. Silicon Valley, or PE or VC firm employees.

Often it is people who upgrade or families on vacation in F using miles mixed with a few managers of not so frugal firms.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:24 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Yachtsurfer...

The people in F very much depend on the route. The bankers and consultants fly LHR-JFK, one can assume. SFO-FRA, SFO-HKG, many wealthy people from California, e.g. Silicon Valley, or PE or VC firm employees.

Often it is people who upgrade or families on vacation in F using miles mixed with a few managers of not so frugal firms.
And some freaks like flamboyant 1, his family and me and my family who actually pay for it... The more I think about it the mosre stupid it is ... but its fun
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:56 am
Suspended

Hardly anyone travels on company paid F anymore across the pond, it is a little different to/from Asia and some major US gateways like JFK and LAX...

RTW ticket holders become more and more important, so paid F class is more paid A class these days.

And certainly quite some guys who use miles/vouchers to upgrade from C...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can only comment on the FRA-BKK and BKK-FRA route which I have flown many times the past years.
Seems to me LH is doing well on that route with F always 100% when I have flown (and pursers have been telling me that F is very well booked on that route).
As to the kind of people I have observed: "business executives" seem to make up the majority of the F class passengers I have encountered. Depending on the time of the year I have also seen families travel on holidays. For example, in Dec. there was a family of 4 who own property in Thailand and were on their way to BKK to spend their Christmas vacation there. I have also seen couples on their way to or from their honeymoon in Asia or Australia. Then there are retired couples who were travelling to or from vacation in Asia or Australia.
All quite normal people really....
I have never seen any "star" (movie, music, sport...) on this routing but perhaps on flights to USA (LAX, JFK) one is more likely to see such people in F class.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Let's face it: most F pax are just sales people or engineerss who have a lot of international business and use miles or vouchers for upgrades. Not much glamour there...

When in First I am usually on a RTW trip in A class.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by fm747
Can only comment on the FRA-BKK and BKK-FRA route which I have flown many times the past years.
Seems to me LH is doing well on that route with F always 100% when I have flown (and pursers have been telling me that F is very well booked on that route).
As to the kind of people I have observed: "business executives" seem to make up the majority of the F class passengers I have encountered. Depending on the time of the year I have also seen families travel on holidays. For example, in Dec. there was a family of 4 who own property in Thailand and were on their way to BKK to spend their Christmas vacation there. I have also seen couples on their way to or from their honeymoon in Asia or Australia. Then there are retired couples who were travelling to or from vacation in Asia or Australia.
All quite normal people really....
I have never seen any "star" (movie, music, sport...) on this routing but perhaps on flights to USA (LAX, JFK) one is more likely to see such people in F class.

On FRA BKK you also find a lot of employees in F - but only in low season.
In the high season the flight is jam-packed with "A" and "O" tix. That is no surprise at all as BKK is more a place to have fun than doing business. The only "star" I know of that flew on FRA BKK is Whitney Houston who refused to lower the leg rest for landing until the pilot suggested to circle as long around BKK till she puts back her seat in a propper position - even if he runs out of fuel (a major "mud-wrestling" with the FA's has foregone this statement by the pilot). That event also made me wonder who uses all the private jets if not even such a superstar.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:17 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
LAX-FRA-LAX LH F: Thomas Gottschalk and Juergen Klinsmann...

Of course Beckenbauer, Mayer-Vorfelder (spelling ?), etc fly F...

BMW executives that are Bereichsleiter (e.g. Mario Theissen) or Vorstandsmitglied travel F on flights longer than 8 hours.

Some individuals pay for it on own dime and enjoy it...as roundtheworld said...but it is time to fly other carriers than LH as well since variety is the spice of life.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:31 am

Of course Beckenbauer, Mayer-Vorfelder (spelling ?), etc fly F...

BMW executives that are Bereichsleiter (e.g. Mario Theissen) or Vorstandsmitglied travel F on flights longer than 8 hours.

Some individuals pay for it on own dime and enjoy it...as roundtheworld said...but it is time to fly other carriers than LH as well since variety is the spice of life.
Well I have now decided to give LX a try and BA on my next trips ... Really think it is time to go for some veriety

Flamboyant can add.. my experience so far is
LH
CX
SQ
TG (mhh not my thing)
NZ (when they had it)
AA (eeeekssss horrible)
UA (little eeks)
BWIA (a bit scary)
GH (Ghana Airlines)
TC (Air Tanzania both VERY SCARY)

And so far neither SQ nor CX has blown me away (except that Icould request a friend who is pilot to be scheduled on the flight - well he managed to get it organized)

So now BA,LX and maybe if the routing comes up QF
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:00 am
Suspended

Since when is Gottschalk a LH customer ?

He was actually known to be one of the best BA customers...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:02 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Certainly, I will not FIT as an LH F customer...
No wonder other business executives nor the HON pax were not nice to me... But I don't care as long as the crew are treating indifferently.
I know a German executive who worked in Jakarta. For his business trip, he demanded LH F. Yes the company paid for him. But for his personal travel with family, he would buy the cheapest Y. So, my message to all F who doesn't pay from their own money, just be corteous to your fellow F pax. Don't look down on other pax.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Threy
Since when is Gottschalk a LH customer ?

He was actually known to be one of the best BA customers...
Makes sense - on LH people would be bothering him for autographs and the like, while on BA most people probably didn't have a clue who he was. Were I in his position, that's how I would do it.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by CGK
Certainly, I will not FIT as an LH F customer...
No wonder other business executives nor the HON pax were not nice to me... But I don't care as long as the crew are treating indifferently.
I know a German executive who worked in Jakarta. For his business trip, he demanded LH F. Yes the company paid for him. But for his personal travel with family, he would buy the cheapest Y. So, my message to all F who doesn't pay from their own money, just be corteous to your fellow F pax. Don't look down on other pax.
Pheeewww ... So if i pay out of pocket, can I look down on you ??? or others ..
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I can confirm that this is the threshhold for paid F travel for BASF and Siemens as well.

Bosch makes even their 8 Geschäftsführer fly Business. Those poor guys...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.