Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please define "Schengen"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:42 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Please define "Schengen"

I have searched and read tons of threads and cannot for the life of me figure out what people are referring to when they talk about the "Schengen" and "nonSchengen" sections of the FRA terminal.

Is it international vs. domestic?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:47 pm

From http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...0.controls.htm

Passport/ID check:

For many destinations within the European Union, the "Schengen Treaty"
has eliminated this check. These include: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland,
France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, Norway,
Portugal, Spain and Sweden. When you are traveling to countries not covered by
this treaty, your ID (if you are a citizen of an EU country) or passport will be checked.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:50 pm

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_treaty
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Or the more general answer:

On travel between the member states of the Schengen treaty (some, not all EU states + Norway, but for eg. Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Austria and others) you will generally not experience any passport and customs control.

On travel betrween the member states of the EU you will not experience any customs control (with certain minor exceptions, eg. when travelling into Europe from the Canary Isles of the Channel Islands).

Best
T.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:24 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thanks for the quick replies!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:45 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
A trip between two Schengen countries should basically equal a domestic trip, so no passport checks for example (other than if needed for ID purposes such as at check-in).
If you need a visa you will also apply for a Schengen-visa which is valid for all Schengen countries.

At FRA and other European airports they need to both have a Schengen transit area and a non-Schengen transit area.
The non-Schengen area is there so people travelling for example between the US and the Middle-east should not have to enter the Schengen area (i.e. enter Germany).
However for a passenger travelling for example from the US to Paris/France via FRA the passport control will take place at the first point of entry into the Schengen area. So as Frankfurt-Paris is a Schengen flight (both countries are part of Schengen) the passenger will enter the Schengen area in Frankfurt and passport check will take place in Frankfurt.

May sound a bit complicated, but it is very convinient for people travelling frequently within western Europe as it means less hassle and no passport checks.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:43 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Furthermore, we have to say that there are some non-Schengen members for which you don't need Passport. In exemple, an italian man bound to Switzerland or UK, doesn't need the passport, but only National ID card.
BTW, both flights to UK and flights to Switzerland leave from NON-Schengen area.

luke
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:06 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by g_leyser
I... cannot for the life of me figure out what people are referring to when they talk about ... "Schengen"
Schengen is a lovely and cute little village on the banks of the rivel Moselle in Luxembourg, about 15-20 mins from Luxembourg city. It has about 3,500 inhabitants, many of whom work in the vineyards that stretch all along the Moselle valley, producing small quantities of very under-estimated white wines (mostly Riesling, Pinots of all shades, Gewürztraminer). There are some nice restaurants there, I can amongst others recommend the "Chateau de Schengen".

Schengen used to be the place where one would cross the river Moselle to go to Saarbrucken. This process is made much easier these days by a relatively recent motorway going straight from Luxembourg to Saarbrucken. A long tunnel goes underneath the hills with the vineyards.

Schengen is also a stop for little cruise ships going up and down the Moselle, and one day the leaders of some European countries sat down on such a ship to sign a treaty that would abandon all passport and customs controls among member states.

If such a thing as a "Group of cities whose names have become the equivalent for something else better known than the City itself" existed, Schengen would be a member, alongside Waterloo, Yalta and Bretton Woods.

Hope that helps.... or is it off topic?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:51 am

Great answer, Creber. As the Schengen and non-Schengen parts of FRA were already explained, you covered the history behind this name.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:35 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by creber
It has about 3,500 inhabitants, many of whom work in the vineyards that stretch all along the Moselle valley, producing small quantities of very under-estimated white wines (mostly Riesling, Pinots of all shades, Gewürztraminer).
Not that underestimated, dear creber! OK, I'm biased, I don't like white wine... Such a waste of labor... only for white wine! OK, it's too cold over there for red wine grapes to ripen (other than the "pinot noir", a true survivor!), so I forgive them...
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In MUC T2 they had built two levels to separate Schengen (G-Level) and Non-Schengen (H-Level).

But since the US sterile area has come into force and the number non-Schengen EU non Duty free countries have exploded this year, they have moved all flights to non-shengen EU countries and Switzerland to G37-48 with a passport control gate beside G36. Looks terrible.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: LH HON, BMI gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
In MUC T2 [...] they have moved all flights to non-shengen EU countries and Switzerland to G37-48 with a passport control gate beside G36. Looks terrible.
It does not only look terrible, queueing up when all people hurrying from lounges and other places to the plane without any fast lane makes me grumble

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.