Search

SEN companion award question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Question SEN companion award question

hi there,

as far as i understand for SEN companion awards the SEN and the companion have to travel together on all flight segments ...
one question arises: are companion awards for 50% of necessary miles also possible if the sen travels on a paid ticket or do both sen and companion have to travel with award tickets ??

tia
CHris
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:26 am

Programs: BA,Amex,Hilton,Hyatt,SPG
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
hi there,

as far as i understand for SEN companion awards the SEN and the companion have to travel together on all flight segments ...
one question arises: are companion awards for 50% of necessary miles also possible if the sen travels on a paid ticket or do both sen and companion have to travel with award tickets ??

tia
CHris
both need an award ticket!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:52 pm

Programs: LH Sen; BA Gold; HH Diamond; *W Gold
Both have to have an award ticket, travel all segments together and be on an LH operated flight all the time.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
To my understanding this is only half correct: The companion has to fly all segments with the Senator but not v/v. Since my wife lives in Berlin and I in Duesseldorf I regulary book on all i/c award tickets:

DUS - TXL - FRA - Intercontinental - FRA - TXL - DUS

for myself and

TXL - FRA - Intercontinental - FRA - TXL

for her. This works perfectly with companion awards
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:44 am

Thats fully true, as the name already says, "companion award"!
The person that is flying with the SEN must be accompanied by the SEN on all segments, but not the SEN has to accompanied by the companion on all segments.
So it is possible that the SEN has more segments than the companion.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:15 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Actually, I am not even sure how they check on it... I've had several occasions where I booked a companion award for my wife, but then I had to change my reservation whereas she took the flight we originally booked. Never any problems. Just luck? Or don't they check at check-in (what a sentence, but you know what I mean)?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:37 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by creber
I've had several occasions where I booked a companion award for my wife, but then I had to change my reservation whereas she took the flight we originally booked.
The conditions for the companion award read

"For any Companion award the Senator and the Companion should always travel together."

I always wondered what it meant...

Probably they only check at the time of booking, or they accept that travel plans are bound to change as long as it's the exception.

HTB.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I wanted to bring this topic up again, as I am looking at booking a companion award for my fiancee next year. The only problem is that I might not be able to fly with her on the outward leg, but definitely on with her on the inbound leg. Looking at what creber posted above, it seems that this is possible? So the questions are:

- has anyone done this before succesfully where it was obviously not a fluke?

- the wording in the comapnion award T&C says should - is this also the case in the German T&C (which I havn't been able to find), obviously as sollte or something similar, as I presume the reservations people will go by the German T&C

- could I book a comapnion award for us and then change my outbound leg later?

Many thanks,

Floris
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by floris_FRA
- could I book a comapnion award for us and then change my outbound leg later?
You can change any award for EUR 40, but in your specific case, the companion award would then change into 2 normal awards, so LH would have to pull the additonal miles.

Of course, there's a chance M&M/LH might not realize the sinister plot behind your change and simply forget pulling the miles - I have no clue about the sophistication of their award booking system ot their CSAs in this regard. My guess is that they'll see it, as companion awards are certainly booked under ONE itinerary with ONE single Amadeus booking code. So your booking needs to be split up into TWO seperate itineraries and Amadeus codes.

The one thing that's clear is that you are deliberately trying to fool them. Which, should they catch you, I'm sure you will vividly deny.

Last edited by flysurfer; Nov 12, 2005 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:34 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by flysurfer

The one thing that's clear is that you are deliberately trying to fool them. Which, should they catch you, I'm sure you will vividly deny.
Flysurfer,
thanks for your prompt and as usual informative reply.... I wouldn't go so far as to say I am deliberatly fooling them, just testing the water as to how stretcheable the term "should travel together" in the T&C is... in my understanding the term "should" is very different to "must"....
But, as this is a very important trip for me and my fiancee (...) I won't be doing anything to jeopardise it....

Cheers,
Floris
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
The only jeopardy for you would be the fact that you don't have enough miles on your account to support 2 seperate award bookings. Other than that, you are totally safe, as it is LH's responsibility to pull the correct amount of miles for a specific type of award.

Btw, who cares about faulty English translation. The German version, and this is the one that counts, is totally clear: "Bei einem Companion Ticket müssen der Senator und die begleitende Person (Companion) stets die Reise gemeinsam absolvieren." Mind the "must" and the "stets", a the latter refers to the requirement that ALL LEGS of the journey must be completed together.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:30 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Btw, who cares about faulty English translation. The German version, and this is the one that counts, is totally clear: "Bei einem Companion Ticket müssen der Senator und die begleitende Person (Companion) stets die Reise gemeinsam absolvieren."
Why should only the German version count? I've never seen the German terms and conditions -- LH never sent them to me.

HTB.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
Why should only the German version count? I've never seen the German terms and conditions -- LH never sent them to me.

HTB.
Well, then feel happy to sue them if they don't comply with your version of the T&C. *shrug*
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:01 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I would second flysurfer's advice here. It is spot on in all his/her above posts. ^
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:18 pm

You can change any award for EUR 40, but in your specific case, the companion award would then change into 2 normal awards, so LH would have to pull the additonal miles.

Of course, there's a chance M&M/LH might not realize the sinister plot behind your change and simply forget pulling the miles - I have no clue about the sophistication of their award booking system ot their CSAs in this regard. My guess is that they'll see it, as companion awards are certainly booked under ONE itinerary with ONE single Amadeus booking code. So your booking needs to be split up into TWO seperate itineraries and Amadeus codes.

A companion award is treated as a second award from the beginning, at 50% of the primary award. it is not one award for 2 at 150%!

There is no problem at all, to have a second PNR with a separate file key for the companion award. It is either by request or automatically if your primary award contains additional segments without the companion. In this case the 2 PNRs are only linked by a note in the remarks section of the PNR.

If you only rebook one of the two later on, it is very unlikely, that additional miles will be deducted from your account. Of course, there are no guarantees.

Last edited by ulev; Nov 12, 2005 at 9:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.