Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 tickets for 1 passenger on the same flight - is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

2 tickets for 1 passenger on the same flight - is this possible?

I am flying from SFO to BLR via FRA on a coach ticket (paid by my employer) next month. I am trying to upgrade to business class using UA miles, but thus far when I've attempted the upgrade LH has rejected it, so instead I now have to wait until the day of the flights to see if the upgrades might be available.

One thought I had was to book a separate business class award itinerary using UA miles, but still keep my first reservation in order to receive Mileage Plus credit. Is this even possible, i.e. holding two confirmed reservations for a single passenger? If so, then this would also save me a few MP miles, as a business class award ticket would cost 120k, but the upgrades from coach would actually cost 130k miles (30k+35k+35k+30k).
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:29 am

Programs: LH HON
Don't think so...but you might just try!

As far as I know, that's not possible I was contacted once by LH staff on my cell since I had two (2) reservations on a flight from MAD to FRA on 2 different tickets (they must have found out by some kind of automatic system check). They asked me to choose which one to use, cause they would have to drop one. Although, I have to say, I was able to make that reservation on the LH hotline before.

Anyhow, I also wondered a few times myself, if someone could buy two seats to be sure the neighbour seat stays empty....

cheers
HON_Hunter
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can book an additional seat on all LH longhaul flights to keep the seat next to you free for comfort or if you are a 'person of size'. LH will give you extra baggage allowance and you only have to pay taxes for one ticket. Contact LH USA for details.

LH also runs checks if there are double confirmed bookings by one passenger on the same flight. They call the number shown in the reservation to double check if that is what you really want. Happened to me twice.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:08 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can book an additional seat on all LH longhaul flights to keep the seat next to you free for comfort or if you are a 'person of size'. LH will give you extra baggage allowance and you only have to pay taxes for one ticket. Contact LH USA for details.
Somebody on this board even noted that you also get miles for both tickets.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Is this the only way to keep 2 seats booked on the same flight? As I indicated previously I would like to keep 1 coach seat and 1 business seat, so that I can earn miles for the coach seat but still fly in business.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:12 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by HON_Hunter
As far as I know, that's not possible I was contacted once by LH staff on my cell since I had two (2) reservations on a flight from MAD to FRA on 2 different tickets (they must have found out by some kind of automatic system check). They asked me to choose which one to use, cause they would have to drop one. Although, I have to say, I was able to make that reservation on the LH hotline before.

Anyhow, I also wondered a few times myself, if someone could buy two seats to be sure the neighbour seat stays empty....

cheers
HON_Hunter

There are ways, as Yoyo Ma has a ticket for himself and for his cello.... to carry it onboard (LH F) . Also there are people who buy two seats to have two in Y...

As long as the tickets are not identical (routing and dates) it is not picked up by the system automatically. At least not until last second ...

Mh I would call them and see what they say ..
Old Aug 11, 2005, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by blee
Is this the only way to keep 2 seats booked on the same flight? As I indicated previously I would like to keep 1 coach seat and 1 business seat, so that I can earn miles for the coach seat but still fly in business.
well, it doesn't really matter - if no upgrade tickets are available, no mileage-only tickets will be available since they come out of the same fare bucket.

cheers,

ben
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:59 pm
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Hm, call me suspicious :-), but I´m imagining a very friendly check-in agent telling me that, of course, they will give me two seats in economy - as I would certainly receive what I´ve paid for. Unfortunately, they would just not be next to each other, but they will gladly allow me two have two meals.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
There are ways, as Yoyo Ma has a ticket for himself and for his cello....
I know at least one Flyertalker who does the same thing .
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:16 pm

Programs: sq solitaire;LH-Sen
Originally Posted by attorney28
I know at least one Flyertalker who does the same thing .
Hang on to dispute with airline personal when having booked on the same flight at the same day

It depends on booking system.
If the airlines using same systeme they may get an alert in advance(e.g Amadeus tool)---mostly---worst case - they see it at the airport when they look into your booking-other booking references may show up as well.
If Amadeus is used LH will scan it in time and alert you- my experience!
You have time to change double bookings-when they contact you at least at check in . But then you should be prepared- e.g giving up one option and immidiatly reschedule!!!

cheers

PS:-happy to be in SFO-Nice flight - long time to speak with nice SQ FA!!

Last edited by krisflyerexkul; Aug 26, 2006 at 9:37 am
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Well, I had four paid seats on a F class flight ex CAI. LH was somehow surprised and my official argument was the pricacy I needed to have. No problem in the end.

Cheers
T.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Well, I had four paid seats on a F class flight ex CAI. LH was somehow surprised and my official argument was the pricacy I needed to have. No problem in the end.

Cheers
T.
don't want to be too curious... but how can you need 4 seats in F for privacy?

this might get interesting with other pax who want to change their seat after boarding is completed
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
No way for others to change..... I had the full row. Not a really a surprise, but I waived my desire for privacy on the onward flights and changed my reservations allowing me to fly four times to south east asia with less privacy but for cheap money.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
No way for others to change..... I had the full row. Not a really a surprise, but I waived my desire for privacy on the onward flights and changed my reservations allowing me to fly four times to south east asia with less privacy but for cheap money.
@:-) @:-) @:-)
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:23 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
Brilliant.

So for the CAI-Germany segment, did you get four times award and status miles credited?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.