Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa - best economy seats to USA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, BA EC, Delta, Hilton, Accor, IHG
Lufthansa - best economy seats to USA

I will be doing the following journey in a little over a month and for once, want to try to be comfortable. Especially as this time I'm travelling with my other half..

So.. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the following economy seats (already reserved) are good options in terms of comfort and legroom. If not, any other suggestions Please.. )

Exit row is no good as LH will only hold for me, not my girlfriend. Also - is there any chance at all that LH would give an upgrade for tickets booked with Miles? I guess not, but...

Frankfurt - San Francisco
Boeing 747-400, Seats 24 A&B

Atlanta - Frankfurt
Airbus 340, Seats 20 H&K

Thanks for any advice!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Check http://www.seatexpert.com/ and http://www.seatguru.com/. it looks like there are three versions for both planes.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Lh Atl-fra

Originally Posted by Sagy
Check http://www.seatexpert.com/ and http://www.seatguru.com/. it looks like there are three versions for both planes.
OK, have checked both sites. It would appear that FRA-SFO is the first 747-400 listed on both sites, which lists seats A/B in Row 24 as good economy seats.

But it is less clear which Airbus version is in use - although it would appear to be version 2 on seatguru, which makes row 20 less special due to legroom.

Does anyone have any experience of this LH route? Based on the website it appears I should try to book row 44A/C or H/K instead?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:51 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
As this is not a general mileage related issue, I am moving it from "MilesBuzz" to the Lufthansa forum.

Craig6z
Moderator - MilesBuzz
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by britflyer1976

But it is less clear which Airbus version is in use - although it would appear to be version 2 on seatguru, which makes row 20 less special due to legroom.

Does anyone have any experience of this LH route?
On Jan 1 and Jan 5 LH will use the A 343 with 42 seats in C and 197 in Y and since ATL is not really an important market for LH, I assume they will always try to use the plane with the smallest C cabin, but that is pure speculation on my part...
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
You can always go to www.itn.net and start the process of making a reservation on these flights and get to the part that allows you to choose seats. This gives you the seat map which you then can compare to seatguru or seatexpert to know exactly which version of the plane you'll be on.

Cattle class on LH isn't much fun. I don't envy you. If I had to go cattle class SFO-FRA, I would take UA for E+ seating.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

OK, have checked on both websites and ITN (which gives even less info than LH website (Airbus Jet...)

But does anyone actually have personal experience of this particular journey and plane?? Appears to be Airbus 340, where row 20 is the first row of economy
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:54 pm

'Good LH seats"

Originally Posted by britflyer1976
OK, have checked on both websites and ITN (which gives even less info than LH website (Airbus Jet...)

But does anyone actually have personal experience of this particular journey and plane?? Appears to be Airbus 340, where row 20 is the first row of economy
I've been flying LH for the last 20 years and all I can say the situation with economy seats is getting progressively worse. I wish they took for a ride their top managment at least once. The most awful in my opinion is their A340. You will realize that immeadiately after you enter the plane and even before you take your seats. It looks extremely narrow and feels even worse. Apparently, trying to make up somehow for lack of leg room they allow their seats to recline so much that a person in front of you will literally end up liyng on you knees. That being said, row 20 is a good choice if it's really the first row. At least nobody will lie on you. Other than that be ready to suffer unless you can get an exit row at check-in.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:41 am

Hi,
I'm flying LH JFK-FRA-LYS on Feb 20 in coach, and was wondering which flight across the pond I should go for? The A330 or the 744? Anyone have an opinion between the 2 aircraft?

thanks
goodo
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, HHonors GOLD, STARWOOD GOLD
Originally Posted by goodo
Hi,
I'm flying LH JFK-FRA-LYS on Feb 20 in coach, and was wondering which flight across the pond I should go for? The A330 or the 744? Anyone have an opinion between the 2 aircraft?

thanks
goodo

Personally JFK-->LYS, I would take the Singapore Airlines flight (11h05 min) because the service is awsome and their In flight entertainment system, Krisworld, is even better.

But if you have to go with LH I would recommend LH411 (via MUC, 10h00min) before LH 405 (via FRA, 11h30min). They both have the new biz class (if you get upgraded) and FLYNET.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN, DL PL, HHonor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
If you have a reservation number you may SEE your sits and a whole itinerary on www.checkmytrip.com.

I'm flying FRA-ATL January,9 but I have row 30:-) I'll share my experience after the flight. By the way I booked on the both ways exit rows for me and my wife w/o a problem although we bought both tickets for money (not award tickets) and we're in the same order.

Last edited by rytrom; Jan 5, 2005 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hairychest
Personally JFK-->LYS, I would take the Singapore Airlines flight (11h05 min) because the service is awsome and their In flight entertainment system, Krisworld, is even better.

But if you have to go with LH I would recommend LH411 (via MUC, 10h00min) before LH 405 (via FRA, 11h30min). They both have the new biz class (if you get upgraded) and FLYNET.
Persoanlly I'd also take, SQ. The problem is I have to fly LH via FRA, so its either the A330 or the 747-400.

goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.