Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH vs OS .... FRA vs VIE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
LH vs OS .... FRA vs VIE

If not flying BIZ, Lufthansa is a terrible airline. Unpleasant (even rude) cabin staff, terrible entertainment systems etc... Further more, Frankfurt airport and lounges are like some bus station – overcrowded and just not nice.
On the other hand, Vienna is getting better and better – very nice lounge, free WiFi Internet (try to connect to Vodafone WiFi in FRA if you don’t have Vodafone phone, boy, problems every time), it’s not that ground staff is better or more hospitable, but for cabin staff - I think they are.

Actually, I’m routing more and more through Vienna because of lounges and WiFi.

So, I was thinking, is it possible to open OS M&M account in addition to LH (not to lose what I achieved so far)?
Reason why I’d like to switch to OS is miles bonus – if I fly OS, I don’t get bonus miles…
Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:19 am

Programs: LH HON
FRA can be a mess - true.

Never had a problem connecting to Vodafone WiFi though I don't own a Vodafone card.

Anyway, I thought OS M&M and LH M&M is the same!? I always got the Bonus when flying OS. What makes you think, that there is a difference?

Cheers,

Ben
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, DL PL, HHonor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It really depends when you get to the airport. I was in Viena two times - both was very crouded in the lounge. Sometimes in FRA the lounges are empty (saturday mornig:-)
Free Internet is cool, agree, but is it enough reason to choose routing? You might have been afraid during connecting via Vodaphone by the fact they ask you a phone number. It's just a kind of a user name. Give whatever you want (or better have). I had no problem to connect at all and I have no Vodaphone accounr either.

You must get full bonus from OS since it's a fully integrated partner of LH. I did get them.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by potjernik
If not flying BIZ, Lufthansa is a terrible airline. Unpleasant (even rude) cabin staff, terrible entertainment systems etc... Further more, Frankfurt airport and lounges are like some bus station – overcrowded and just not nice.
On the other hand, Vienna is getting better and better – very nice lounge, free WiFi Internet (try to connect to Vodafone WiFi in FRA if you don’t have Vodafone phone, boy, problems every time), it’s not that ground staff is better or more hospitable, but for cabin staff - I think they are.

Actually, I’m routing more and more through Vienna because of lounges and WiFi.

So, I was thinking, is it possible to open OS M&M account in addition to LH (not to lose what I achieved so far)?
Reason why I’d like to switch to OS is miles bonus – if I fly OS, I don’t get bonus miles…
Well, first of all LH is a pretty good organised airline and probably the only airline who can operate out of FRA as their main hub with a profit, because of that.FRA is simply a desaster, up in the range of CDG or LHR, decades behind AMS or VIE.

Generally people is Austria are more open and friendly, not am empiric research, but normally the case.Competence level should be high on both airlines.

However problems at VIE are just around the corner.With only two runways and not enough space to park the aircrafts, delays are an every day thing, not to mention Eurocontrol and especially Austrocontrol.They are desperately trying to find controllers all over the world to get enough manpower to handle the massive expansion of OS and VIE in general.

Right now VIE is ahead of FRA, but the number of cities served is certainly less, so FRA cannot be avoided as a SEN..., VIE is certainly a nice back up !!
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:11 am

Programs: LH SEN for Life
As a SEN I'm always flying through either FRA or VIE. For me VIE has FRA beaten hands down. As a smaller airport it's just easier to get around in and it does seem friendlier.

As for the Lounges it depends on time and terminal (A,B,C) in both airports. I find VIE SEN lounges nicer, often less crowded with better food and drink. If you are in the Business lounge VIE is again much better than FRA.

Cabin staff somewhat better on OS, very much better in Y.

As for Bonus OS is M&M, no difference if flying them or LH. I did once have my "overdraft" denied by OS but later was told that the programs are the same, actually one program.

I too have thought of moving the SEN to OS, just to MAYBE get an Op Up once in a while but I think the policy is the same on both airlines.

As I often have to overnight at the airport the NH at VIE is most convenient and MUCH cheaper than the Sheraton at VIE. Also depending on my time, I can cross the street back to the airport, go to the Shengen SEN lounge and check my email that night and have a drink at the same time. Can't do that at FRA.

Of course it also depends on where you are flying. You can't compare LH's extensive routes with OS, but for Eastern Europe OS is good. They are good to the Far East (and getting better), but use the uncomfortable NG planes. (On board cook is nice though.) I would hope that OS upgrades those planes to the Far East soon as I will be heading that way in a few months.

Many things are a question of taste, for me VIE is much nicer.

Shofar
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:07 am
JPB

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M
As far as I understand it you can not choose whoes M&M programme you join. I applied on an OS application form but am a memeber of LH M&M. I did ask once why that was and was told that it depends on which country you are in. However it does not make any difference to your chances to get an op-up as if they are looking for senetors they can not see if they are OS or LH on the booking system.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller
FRA can be a mess - true.

Never had a problem connecting to Vodafone WiFi though I don't own a Vodafone card.
I don't own German phone. Password was never sent to me, I was logged on automatically, but kicked out after 1 hour. When I wanted to reconnect, I had to pay again (although i paid for all day). Than, tried to ask for help. You can't just call Vodafone from foreign mobile phone, so I had to go to lounge desk to call. After explaining what happened, operator gave me password and told me that she cancelled second charge. What was not true, what I discovered when the bill came.

Originally Posted by daumueller
Anyway, I thought OS M&M and LH M&M is the same!? I always got the Bonus when flying OS. What makes you think, that there is a difference?
That's why I'm asking - I didn't receive bonus when flying OS.

Originally Posted by rytrom
Free Internet is cool, agree, but is it enough reason to choose routing? You might have been afraid during connecting via Vodaphone by the fact they ask you a phone number. It's just a kind of a user name. Give whatever you want (or better have). I had no problem to connect at all and I have no Vodaphone accounr either.

You must get full bonus from OS since it's a fully integrated partner of LH. I did get them.
See, I have no problem giving my phone number, but as I explained, password never came.

Full bonus. OK, now I'll be fighting for it!!

Originally Posted by Shofar
As I often have to overnight at the airport the NH at VIE is most convenient and MUCH cheaper than the Sheraton at VIE. Also depending on my time, I can cross the street back to the airport, go to the Shengen SEN lounge and check my email that night and have a drink at the same time. Can't do that at FRA.
Shofar
Yes, totally true, I forgot to mention NH. It is very convinient. However, they should really think to conect it somehow with airport building, when raining it's unpleasent.

So, you're all saying that it shouldn't make a difference.... but can I use upgrades and all on OS if LH M&M?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:30 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
VIE vs FRA

Airport taxes at Vienna are more expensive compared to FRA.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:51 am

potjernik: So, you're all saying that it shouldn't make a difference.... but can I use upgrades and all on OS if LH M&M?

You can do everythin on OS that you can do on LH.
Sometimes the OS staff doesn't understand everything but a little patience and if neccessary a call to the supervisor and it's done.

Shofar
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:22 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
For me... its not about FRA or VIE... I actually really enjoy both airports. Lounges tend to be better in VIE, but they are now upgrading the facilities in FRA... ^
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:33 am

as a lh/os sen living in austria...

...i would like to give some advice:

1. the m&m lounge is ok but not as good as the diners/visa lounges (danube lounge). there are less people and the snacks are better.
2. m&m of os and lh are identical.
3. be aware that your miles are registered. always keep your flight receipe and the tickets for complaints (this is especially true if you check in at shared flights with af of another external partner).
4. vie will undergo heavy construction during the next years. so i am not sure if the quality will stay the same.
5. the hon worshipping is a bad idea. we will see some more privileges go away from the senators. especially vie will try to become a 'hon heaven' (as i was told). the new terminal will contain new facilites for hons.
6. parking: if you pick someone up, always park at departures ;-) this is by far more convenient. there are even some 'free' parkings if you are clever.
7. austrians are different to germans. but this may be true in any direction. in case of problems try to avoid austrian managers (if possible), go for the basic people...
8. do not forget that bratislava airport is very, very close (probably vie and bts are the two closest independent international airports in europe).
9. as most european star alliance flights from vie do not serve free snacks/meals i will try to avoid these airlines in the future...

Last edited by hadrian; Jan 2, 2005 at 4:35 am
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:29 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by hadrian

9. as most european star alliance flights from vie do not serve free snacks/meals i will try to avoid these airlines in the future...
The exception is LOT, which still serves (quite tasty) meals.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

1. the m&m lounge is ok but not as good as the diners/visa lounges (danube lounge). there are less people and the snacks are better.
Yes, the snacks are defenetely better, but m&m has little section with real desks that you can work on. And, other section of the launge has a very nice view at the airport.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:41 am
Suspended

2. m&m of os and lh are identical.
3. be aware that your miles are registered. always keep your flight receipe and the tickets for complaints (this is especially true if you check in at shared flights with af of another external partner).
4. vie will undergo heavy construction during the next years. so i am not sure if the quality will stay the same.
5. the hon worshipping is a bad idea. we will see some more privileges go away from the senators. especially vie will try to become a 'hon heaven' (as i was told). the new terminal will contain new facilites for hons.
6. parking: if you pick someone up, always park at departures ;-) this is by far more convenient. there are even some 'free' parkings if you are clever.
7. austrians are different to germans. but this may be true in any direction. in case of problems try to avoid austrian managers (if possible), go for the basic people...
8. do not forget that bratislava airport is very, very close (probably vie and bts are the two closest independent international airports in europe).
Actually I am pretty sure that the shared Danube circle lounge, which also houses KLM and Visa gets the same snacks as the OS C class lounge, both are catered by Airest and on all days I was there, the food was exactly the same, pretty good however for LH/regular lounge standards...

As for the Hon heaven, it would more than surprise me, if anybody is able to comment on that one already, the construction plans of the new terminals are not even finalised for lounges etc. and we are talking about a time horizon of more than 3 years.In addition to that LH/OS offer no F class ex VIE, so a HON facility there would be a huge waste of money, they should start with a dedicated elite check in for the Cat downtown station to be honest and not dream up unlikeky scenarios for the future....
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:55 am

HON in VIE

I went through VIE last month and they already had (2 I think) dedicated and empty HON check in desks.

Shofar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.