Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs LH in transatlantic business class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA vs LH in transatlantic business class

Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I have been unable to find this on any search.

First, there are new winter C class fares available. $1319 IAD to most anyplace in Europe(maybe she said$1399, and I misunderstood) . 21 day advance purchase, 10 day min stay, UA/LH metal only. Got the offer in an email. Cannot find it on the website.

The choice from IAD is old seat LH 747, or "middle age" seat UA 777 or 767.

Considering amenities (food, wine, seats, entertainment system, FA attitude, and reading light)and upgrade possibilities, which is the preferred airline.

We have flown UA in transatlantic C at least a dozen times, and find it very nice. Never come close to an UG, even though C is usually full.

Have never flown in LH in C. Realize they do not UG.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:54 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
LH old C seats are awful - 48" pitch, less recline. If the choice is between that and UA C+, run, do not walk, to UA.

I prefer food on UA, service is generally OK on both, often great on UA, IFE is similar; I don't drink a lot, so I can't really comment on the booze. Boarding is a zoo on LH, forget cabin or status, just run for it like everybody else.

Haven't been on LH new C yet.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: LH SEN for Life
Mostly I fly LH or OS but recently took an UA "C". It was very nice. Wine better than LH. Food good. Service better.

Also if you don't travel with your own Bose noise canceling headphones, UA provides their version. Not as good but much better than nothing.

I have not yet flown "New LH C". So comments are all about old C.

Shofar
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find UA's C seat over-rated. Nonetheless it is still better than the old LH C seat. LH offer a sightly more consistent and reliable service package, but my recent UA flights have offered surprisingly good service from the 'type' crew that have entered FT lore for offering the opposite. Not much to call in terms of catering, wine and IFE. I would go with UA.

However, if you can get the new LH C seat, then the decision is easy.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:35 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Boarding is a zoo on LH, forget cabin or status, just run for it like everybody else.
From IAD that's certainly not true on LH 417. The plane does not have a gate and boards from the B terminal via mobile lounge. C and F class pax get a private shuttle that departs from the back of the NW club.

Food is a LOT better than UA. Not even comparable. Wine is better as well.

For a daylight flight I would pick LH. For overnight the better recline on UA might aid sleeping.

Last edited by gnaget; Oct 31, 2004 at 9:38 am
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I am taking LH 417 in F Class in July. Its good news that boarding is not chaos as described in other threads.

So does this mean that LH F Class passengers can camp out at the NW club? Is there a club available somewhere near the gate? I know I can get into UA RCC and F&C International Departure Club, but it would be a real hassle to get to the B Concource since UA's clubs are on C&D.

Does LH ever depart from C concurse? How long before boarding should I be there for F Class boarding?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by gnaget
From IAD that's certainly not true on LH 417. The plane does not have a gate and boards from the B terminal via mobile lounge. C and F class pax get a private shuttle that departs from the back of the NW club.

Food is a LOT better than UA. Not even comparable. Wine is better as well.

For a daylight flight I would pick LH. For overnight the better recline on UA might aid sleeping.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Ive seen LH board from the gate at IAD in the C terminal.

I would take UA over LH, but I find LH a bit sterile. I find the food to be a little better on LH, but the UA C seat more comfortable.

It boils down to what airline you enjoy flying more.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jan 21, 2005 at 12:27 pm
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Service comparison:
UA = a nice aloof smile from an overpowered high school hall monitor suddenly put in charge of restocking the salad bar
LH = attentive and deliberate awareness like having tea at the Four Seasons
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:54 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Service comparison:
UA = a nice aloof smile from an overpowered high school hall monitor suddenly put in charge of restocking the salad bar
LOL How true! I fully agree!

Cheers Stefan
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Service comparison:

Exactly... Did FRA-ORD, UA 941 yesterday. The seat pitch and recline are by far better, at least in C+. What I did not expect: there are no usable power outlets for laptops, only some obscure jacks. The FA had to ask and she said it could only be used with a special adapter (It is 15 V DC, obviously you can plug your computer directly w/o a transformator).
But there is channel 9 !!!
Food is slightly below LH (still plastic knives), wines are significantly below LH as is the FAs' knowledge about (the only four-two red, two white) the wines.
Both have different pros and cons. I will do my paid C flights on LH (prehaps with an u/g to F) and my u/g'ed Y flights on UA (more upgrade inventory, Y+ as backup if the u/g does not clear). Actually, I had booked 21H, but my u/g cleared on Monday. I inspected 21 HK on my flight. Indead tons of legroom, a tolerable alternative, if you got stuck in the back.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 1:44 am

Yes, LH does depart from the C gates at IAD, at least LH 419 does.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With an F ticket, you can probably use the RCC F lounge. I have never set foot in it.

Flew IAD-FRA onUA in C, and FRA-CAI inC onLH with the new flat seats and returns two weeks ago.

The flat seats are really flat, and the sides are quite high, so both my wife and I were very confortable.

Really no comparison. Better seats, much much better wines(UA has a lousy selection of really cheap wine), and much better food on LH. I found nothing lacking in service on either. Maybe FA's are really nice to old-timers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.