Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUC-BOS, JFK and LAX downgauged to A359 due to A380 issues in S24

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:46 am
hch

I think the US airlines have to, as the DOT got really angry with them for IDBs and they need to prevent them at all cost. Not sure if this covers downgrades, but if the airlines treat downgrades differently it probably is a matter of time until DOT starts being very strict there as well.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hch
I think the US airlines have to, as the DOT got really angry with them for IDBs and they need to prevent them at all cost. Not sure if this covers downgrades, but if the airlines treat downgrades differently it probably is a matter of time until DOT starts being very strict there as well.
Downgrade is not IDB per USDOT. IDB is not getting a seat on your scheduled flight due to an oversell (and there are limitations w/ smaller plans and swaps).
Honestly, I think it is just good business practice and good airlines this is both cheaper in the end in addition to ensuring happy (and returning, minimally to use that ETC) customers.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:04 pm

Hi, currently on F upgrade waitlist for LH424 on April 29. Still shows as 8 seats free. Could it be that that is a flight that will be operated by a350?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by fmpacheco
Hi, currently on F upgrade waitlist for LH424 on April 29. Still shows as 8 seats free. Could it be that that is a flight that will be operated by a350?
Not necessarily but they will want to avoid a possible downgrade situation, if you are on Evoucher waitlist they like to clear those very late…
Old Apr 4, 2024, 3:41 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
That's terrible. They should have rebooked on LX via ZRH in the first place, but I guess this has no PE. So now you will have to argue for a downgrade comp in addition to the 600 EUR you already got. Ugh ...
So just to report back, filled a claim and received a whooping 618 € compensation for the downgrade... will not argue much since they have obviously calculated the fare difference between Y fare and G fare which definitely was not the case during booking but OK.... I live with it :-)
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
So to summarize you ended up with 600 + 618 Euro to get rerouted via MUC to BOS and downgraded from PE to Y? I suppose many of the readers in here would happily have accepted this deal, including myself.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kid Flyer
So just to report back, filled a claim and received a whooping 618 € compensation for the downgrade... will not argue much since they have obviously calculated the fare difference between Y fare and G fare which definitely was not the case during booking but OK.... I live with it :-)
So this was compensation for the downgrade or a difference in fare? It should be 75% of the fare for this distance which conceivably could be 618 EUR - 1700 EUR r/t sounds about right.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems the loads on BOS barely fill a A350 so when in doubt they will swap the BOS route to A350. DEL is 90% full from India, but very empty to India.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
So this was compensation for the downgrade or a difference in fare? It should be 75% of the fare for this distance which conceivably could be 618 EUR - 1700 EUR r/t sounds about right.
Yes, as I understand the OP he/she has now received EUR 618 as 75% refund for the downgrade (in add. to EUR 600 already received for the rerouting via MUC). Fare difference between a relatively low PE G fare and Eco Y is not 618 Eur (most likely a Y fare is more expensive than a G fare).

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 5, 2024 at 5:26 am
Old Apr 5, 2024, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems the loads on BOS barely fill a A350 so when in doubt they will swap the BOS route to A350. DEL is 90% full from India, but very empty to India.
that really depends on the day. Today, for example, LH424 is pretty full.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MC went tech in DEL on Saturday, and ML was down for a day on the same day. This time this impacted BOS & JFK. MN came back from regular maintainance just in time.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like JFK got a 359 for 2 days and BOS a cancellation. Happy to not have any LH flights booked right now. They really shouldn’t try and run an ambitious schedule where they don’t have spares around at their hubs
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like there were two frames unexpectedly out of service. I agree there should be one spare, but even that wouldn't have covered both BOS and JFK, and having two spares for such a small fleet is unrealistic. In that case, based on how LH responded and recovered this time, I suppose JFK would've gotten the spare and BOS would've gotten the 359 that JFK got in reality.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rebooking pax out of JFK doesn’t seem to be too difficult, even on LH Group flights.

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 8, 2024 at 11:54 pm
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:14 pm

LH430 was downgauged from 748 to 744 today, some invol downgrades there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.