Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa vs Turkish Airlines: EDI - GYD vv

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa vs Turkish Airlines: EDI - GYD vv

Good afternoon,
I'll need to fly from the UK to Azerbaijan and I have only two options, either Lufthansa via Frankfurt or Turkish Airlines via Istanbul.
I've flown with both of them before to the same destination.
While LH seems affected by strikes and offer a poorer catering service during the flight. whenever I came across cancellation/delay issue, it was hard to get things fixed by THY. They usually ask to send a feedback. They often change things like pre-paid seats and back in October they moved me to an earlier flight just with a couple of days of warning.
I'm not entirely sure which one I can go for. I'll be flying in June.
Thank you.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
In C: TK beats LH by miles if things go ok. Not so much in case of IRROPS but I would not plan for that.

In Y: pity you in either case.
Harper50505 and chris63 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
In C: TK beats LH by miles if things go ok. Not so much in case of IRROPS but I would not plan for that.

In Y: pity you in either case.
Thank you!
What do you mean by "in C" and "in Y"? Thank you again.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by stegio80
Thank you!
What do you mean by "in C" and "in Y"? Thank you again.
Business class and Economy class
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:00 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
C = Business class
Y = Economy class

I would expect the service in TK Y to blow LH out of the water on UK-conx-GYD. It's definitely uncomparably better on AMS-IST.

Assuming we are talking Turkish proper via IST and not Anadolujet via SAW.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:05 am

Taking into account that GYD-IST departs in the middle of the night, the better TK Y service won’t compensate for a night with no sleep.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
C = Business class
Y = Economy class

I would expect the service in TK Y to blow LH out of the water on UK-conx-GYD. It's definitely uncomparably better on AMS-IST.

Assuming we are talking Turkish proper via IST and not Anadolujet via SAW.
Yes, it's proper THY.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Taking into account that GYD-IST departs in the middle of the night, the better TK Y service won’t compensate for a night with no sleep.
THY: EDI 10:40 - GYD 1:35 (next day)

GYD 2:35 - EDI 9:40

LH: EDI 5:55 - GYD 20:50

GYD 4:30 - EDI 12:05

Both return flights would be early flights.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:14 am

duplicate
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:15 am

There are several flights between IST and GYD.

On the outbound for example if you leave LHR on the early flight, you can make the afternoon flight to GYD, alternatively you can take early afternoon flight from LHR and connect to late evening flight to GYD arriving late night, but still early enough to catch some sleep if you don't have an early morning.
On the way back, you have a choice of morning departures from GYD, even the afternoon departure still gives you enough time to arrive to LON before 9pm.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
There are several flights between IST and GYD.

On the outbound for example if you leave LHR on the early flight, you can make the afternoon flight to GYD, alternatively you can take early afternoon flight from LHR and connect to late evening flight to GYD arriving late night, but still early enough to catch some sleep if you don't have an early morning.
On the way back, you have a choice of morning departures from GYD, even the afternoon departure still gives you enough time to arrive to LON before 9pm.
It's from Edinburgh. I should have specified it.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by stegio80
THY: EDI 10:40 - GYD 1:35 (next day)

GYD 2:35 - EDI 9:40

LH: EDI 5:55 - GYD 20:50

GYD 4:30 - EDI 12:05

Both return flights would be early flights.
You might want to move your return by a day and catch the 8:15 flight from GYD to IST to connect to the later TK1345 arriving to EDI at 15:20. Or take a stopover in Istanbul after leaving GYD in the evening, well worth a visit if you haven't been yet.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
TK is definitely harder to deal with in case of IROPs but in the current situation they are far less likely to have IROPs in the first place.
​​​​​​
Unless price is an issue, I always choose TK over LH without a second thought.
Deckter and Harper50505 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by the810
TK is definitely harder to deal with in case of IROPs but in the current situation they are far less likely to have IROPs in the first place.
​​​​​​
Unless price is an issue, I always choose TK over LH without a second thought.
Actually my experience with TK was easier to deal with for invol changes than LH, though in both cases (two separate trips) included changing from one direct TK flight to another (once from Anadolujet to Turkish proper at no surcharge as well). YMMV.

LH (group) OTOH I had to present the options to them myself (autorebook only offered nonsense) and once left me unticketed after a late-night cancellation prior to a 5:00am departure. Luckily the station manager at the airport was able to endorse my ticket for OAL rebooking otherwise I would have had a big problem.
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TK may have IRROPS issues, but over the years the absolute WORST major airline for IRROPS I have always found to be LH, and I say that as someone who was Senator for 16 years. Unless there is a serious price reason TK is what you want to choose.
the810 and hugolover like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.