Wiki Posts
Search

LOT VDB compensation - how to handle?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:10 am
Original Poster

LOT VDB compensation - how to handle?

Dear all,

My last night's flight was overbooked, so I volunteered to switch to this morning. Got a hotel (nice, too bad had to leave early) and a paper with a promise of EUR 400 compensation. According to the cs. rep. I would need to go to the Lot website and "enter the data" to get the payment.
Today, looking over the Lot site all I can find wrt "denied boarding" is the "customer service contact" form. I did fill that in with the flight information and attached a pdf of the paper I was given at vdb time (states compensation and some extra numbers). Is that the right way to handle things? Is there no direct payment form? If it is - how long does it usually take and would I have to now pester CS for some sort of resolution?

My experience until now was entirely with US a/l vdb, where the payment (voucher, normally) is made on the spot. All advice welcome.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds right, claims after departure. The payment form comes once they approve the claim.

You can follow up to [email protected] as well.

What was the route? TLV?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Yes. Ok, will give them a week or so before I start shaking the tree.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To do this VDB did you wait until the end of boarding, cos I see your flight went out with one empty seat.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover
To do this VDB did you wait until the end of boarding, cos I see your flight went out with one empty seat.
Yes, I did. They asked for 2 volunteers, but ultimately only needed one - so me. I got overnight hotel voucher, was moved to the next flight and got whatever paper they provide with the stated compensation, was given instructions to "contact customer service" with that paper to get paid. A bit iffy. US carriers pay on the spot.

How do you actually see the load on the flight?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:46 am
Original Poster

As an update, 10 days so far - no reply from LOT. Def. not promising.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tr3k
US carriers pay on the spot.
As a note, US carriers would throw vouchers, whereas for LOT if you ask for a voucher instead that would also be provided instantly or in a rapid speed.
US carrier refunds for cash for legal delay compensations where it must be paid in cash and reimbursements like hotel, ground transportation, etc... take much longer.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As a note, US carriers would throw vouchers, whereas for LOT if you ask for a voucher instead that would also be provided instantly or in a rapid speed.
US carrier refunds for cash for legal delay compensations where it must be paid in cash and reimbursements like hotel, ground transportation, etc... take much longer.
I've had cash compensation with UA several times and it was paid within days.
Also was not offered a voucher by LOT (would probably opt not to take it anyway, but there was no such offer).
Having 0 response to a request of a promised VDB payment is not a good form for LOT. Why would I (or anyone else) take their offer the next time?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vouchers aren’t issued I think. Only for the PEK waiver, maybe LAX and cancelled flights for tickets issued before 4 October.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Emailed the address suggested above - no reply. Will wait another week and then just offload this to one of those compensation companies. That'll learn me to trust LOT - fooled me twice.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea. Try AirHelp, they have an office in Krakow.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Good idea. Try AirHelp, they have an office in Krakow.
That was my plan. They are handling the claim against NorseAtlantic (supposedly went to court now). Not sure I'll see any money from that one, but hopefully at least LOT.

P.S. Ah, never mind, they can't help with VDB compensation. So, I guess, LOT can just not pay - not much recourse.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by tr3k; Mar 13, 2024 at 9:07 am
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Update - today, exactly 2 weeks since the date, got a form by email to fill in my account information. States that the payment will be processed "within 2 weeks". Let's see.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you'd written off getting the money anyway why not donate it to a charitable cause?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:38 am
Original Poster

As you'd written off getting the money anyway why not donate it to a charitable cause?
I'll think about it
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.