Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is inviting a guest from economy or business into First class normal?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Arrow Is inviting a guest from economy or business into First class normal?

I recently took a flight in LH First Class and I saw that a guest normally seated in Bus or econ took place at the ottoman seat of a guest seated in First class.
Btw, first class was full so there was no seat available.
The crew served both first class meals.

Is this common?
If yes, what if each first class guest invites another guest to have a first class dinner together.
The guest even got a first class pyjama.

What do you think?
Is this still first class?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by BRUNOREM
I recently took a flight in LH First Class and I saw that a guest normally seated in Bus or econ took place at the ottoman seat of a guest seated in First class.
Btw, first class was full so there was no seat available.
The crew served both first class meals.

Is this common?
If yes, what if each first class guest invites another guest to have a first class dinner together.
The guest even got a first class pyjama.

What do you think?
Is this still first class?
It is unusual and frowned upon, but we don't know the story behind this. Does not happen very often.
chris63, travelingdrsuz and sw1x like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
Quite a lot discussed about this practice in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35978456-post35.html

I posted those photos of the same experience that I had late last year. Also of note, there was a related CoCreation Hub survey about this practice: https://cocreationhub.lufthansagroup...ining/overview

Perhaps the feedback that LHG received from the survey has encouraged them to allow accommodation of guests in F?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:20 pm
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
So far I've experienced such generous treatments in connection with friends/family of the captain that fly along. Might have been the case here too.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:36 pm

Happened to me once on a dozen F flights last year, on LX, and the beneficiaries of the treatment (PJ, food, bubbly) were clearly LX status pax, of whom some upgraded into F and some couldn’t, as it was 8/8 when we departed (while it was F7 the day before departure and I was the only pax with a regular ticket)..

Didn’t make me very happy, but as long as I get a PJ and my choice of food, I am also not bothered too much either.
andywaw likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:38 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
As has been discussed to death in recent threads, most are OK with a quick, quiet visit hello involving no food or drinks or a legitimate swap before takeoff. The situation you describe however is one I would be (slightly) annoyed at but, as you say, I do not know the whole story!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:48 pm

Has anyone been denied when asking the crew if a guest could join for a while in F?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
So far I've experienced such generous treatments in connection with friends/family of the captain that fly along….
IIRC it was decided by LH a few years ago that employees and their nominated people (yes, including captains and their wives/girlfriends) were not allowed to fly in F. This should have been the same at LX. Not sure if it has changed since then but I’m guessing the rule is still there.

Last edited by FlyerLX; Feb 26, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by FlyerLX
IIRC it was decided by LH a few years ago that employees and their nominated people (yes, including captains and their wives/girlfriends) were not allowed to fly in F. This should have been the same at LX. Not sure if it has changed since then but I’m guessing the rule is still there.
LX Captains & Family definitely have a access to F
worldclubber and Duck1981 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by chris63
LX Captains & Family definitely have a access to F
Maybe it’s a legacy thing from SR or something… In any case, it should be stopped.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:30 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Last week gru-zrh in F. An Italian mother was allowed to have both her 2 kids from Y to join her for dinner and sleep in the F cabin. MC said the lady is a very frequent guest on this route and the crew seemed to know her.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Last week gru-zrh in F. An Italian mother was allowed to have both her 2 kids from Y to join her for dinner and sleep in the F cabin. MC said the lady is a very frequent guest on this route and the crew seemed to know her.
Wow, that is very accommodating. Was the cabin mostly empty?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
If she is a very frequent pax in F on the route, the kids probably also know how to behave up front.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:28 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by Fennario
Wow, that is very accommodating. Was the cabin mostly empty?
2 free seats before the kids came. 2 kids shared one seat, so 1 seat left empty. 6 seats "sold".
Fennario and worldclubber like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by worldclubber
If she is a very frequent pax in F on the route, the kids probably also know how to behave up front.
Maybe? All we really know is they are experienced travelers at the back of the bus.

Last edited by supine; Feb 27, 2024 at 6:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.