Lufthansa - upcoming strikes? [Meta discussion of strikes]

Old Jan 31, 2024, 3:49 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 52
Lufthansa - upcoming strikes? [Meta discussion of strikes]

Good evening,
Do you think there are upcoming strikes involving Lufthansa Group/German airports in March?
I've a flight booked via Frankfurt for the middle of March and I'm quite concerned about it.
Many thanks
stegio80 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2024, 3:51 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 52
I'm flying via Frankfurt (with LH) in March. Do you think there will be other strikes during that period?
If there are cancellations, is it necessary to accept the rebooking or is it possible to request a refund if the cancellation is due to strike?
Thank you.
stegio80 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:39 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 11,804
Originally Posted by stegio80
Good evening,
Do you think there are upcoming strikes involving Lufthansa Group/German airports in March?
I've a flight booked via Frankfurt for the middle of March and I'm quite concerned about it.
Many thanks
Logically, if the Unions do not get what they want from this round of strikes, they will continue.
chris63 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North of the Highland line
Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Posts: 709
Notification of strikes

Flying in 14 days EDI-FRA-EZE so getting a little nervous about the situation. Do unions in Germany have to give 14 days notice of strike action as they do in the UK? I would then be able to breathe a little easier tomorrow if they do.

As FRA would be the main problem what are the likely rebooking scenarios- for example although its far less convenient could I ask for a BA rebooking or am I restricted to Star Alliance or what?
gioannis13 likes this.
thegreatmrsj is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zurich / Europe / New York
Programs: LH, BA, AA
Posts: 1,318
Not too long ago, i had LH/LX rebooked to BA, even 1x managed to rebooked to VS. And BA did the other way too .. rebooked to LX for example … but that was not due to strike, .. it was either cancellation, or missed connection due to delays.
thegreatmrsj likes this.
LHSEN is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: Der 5* FTL
Posts: 8,253
Originally Posted by stegio80
I'm flying via Frankfurt (with LH) in March. Do you think there will be other strikes during that period?
If there are cancellations, is it necessary to accept the rebooking or is it possible to request a refund if the cancellation is due to strike?
Thank you.
Under EU261/2004 you are able to request a refund when cancellation is for any reason. Only compensation is limited.

If your itinerary goes through FRA but from outside the Community to outside the Comminuty, i.e. USA-Frankfurt-India, then you are not protected by EU261/2004, but I can't imagine LH will not refund you (however compensation is out of the question even if cancelled for a compensable reason)
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:14 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Under EU261/2004 you are able to request a refund when cancellation is for any reason. Only compensation is limited.

If your itinerary goes through FRA but from outside the Community to outside the Comminuty, i.e. USA-Frankfurt-India, then you are not protected by EU261/2004, but I can't imagine LH will not refund you (however compensation is out of the question even if cancelled for a compensable reason)
No, what you are saying isn't fully correct.
EU law is always applicable if the carrier is a EU carries so refund needs to be given. If the airlines isn't a EU airline, EU passenger protection law isn't applicable if the flight arrives from a non EU destination. As to the compensation, I think strike is under extraordinary circumstances?
However, if it's a wildcat strike, caselaw says that compensation is due.
As to the person above who is flying in two weeks, it's unlikely any strike will take place. The notice that must be given is a week. Negotiations are resuming on the 6th of Feb.
stegio80 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:29 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: Der 5* FTL
Posts: 8,253
Originally Posted by stegio80
No, what you are saying isn't fully correct.
EU law is always applicable if the carrier is a EU carries so refund needs to be given. If the airlines isn't a EU airline, EU passenger protection law isn't applicable if the flight arrives from a non EU destination.
But, you say you travel with LH. And LH is a Community carrier, so flights inbound to EU count.

Originally Posted by stegio80
As to the compensation, I think strike is under extraordinary circumstances?
Depends on who is striking. Security union strike is outside of airline control and therefore exempt from compensation.

Originally Posted by stegio80
However, if it's a wildcat strike, caselaw says that compensation is due.
Only if it's airline staff or airline subsidiary staff who's striking. The case you refer to was to decide whether a wildcat strike within the airline was still considered within resonable control of the airline. The judgement was that yes, it was.
However this is not applicable because it's not airline staff striking.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:33 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
But, you say you travel with LH. And LH is a Community carrier, so flights inbound to EU count.



Depends on who is striking. Security union strike is outside of airline control and therefore exempt from compensation.



Only if it's airline staff or airline subsidiary staff who's striking. The case you refer to was to decide whether a wildcat strike within the airline was still considered within resonable control of the airline. The judgement was that yes, it was.
However this is not applicable because it's not airline staff striking.
No, when it's a community carrier, it doesn't matter if it's inbound or outbound flights. Passenger protection is always applicable.
stegio80 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:05 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Posts: 5,716
Originally Posted by stegio80
No, when it's a community carrier, it doesn't matter if it's inbound or outbound flights. Passenger protection is always applicable.
Not when you fly a community carrier non-EU origin -> transfer in EU -> non EU destination (RMO-VIE-BKK, for example), jurisprudence says EU261 does not apply, even on a community carrier.

Originally Posted by ECJ
In the light of all the foregoing considerations, the answer to the first question is that Article 3(1) of Regulation No 261/2004 must be interpreted as meaning that that regulation is not applicable to a flight with a connecting flight, booked under a single booking but consisting of two flights, both of which are operated by a Community air carrier, if both the departure airport of the first flight and the arrival airport of the second flight are in the territory of a third country and only the airport where the stopover takes place is in the territory of a Member State.
MichielR is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:16 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: Der 5* FTL
Posts: 8,253
Originally Posted by stegio80
No, when it's a community carrier, it doesn't matter if it's inbound or outbound flights. Passenger protection is always applicable.
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with now.

If you have a non-Community carrier, you have to be departing from the Community (EU+some others). This is not the case as LH is a community carrier.
If you have a Community carrier, including LH, you have to be departing from the Community or arriving into Community. For example, YYZ-FRA-CDG is covered if with LH.
If YYZ-FRA were with AC, this leg is not covered, only FRA-CDG (LH) is.

But even if you have a Community carrier like LH, you are not covered if you depart and arrive outside Community and only transfer in FRA. For example YYZ-FRA-SIN is not covered regardless if you flew LH all the way, or say AC+SQ.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:46 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with now.

If you have a non-Community carrier, you have to be departing from the Community (EU+some others). This is not the case as LH is a community carrier.
If you have a Community carrier, including LH, you have to be departing from the Community or arriving into Community. For example, YYZ-FRA-CDG is covered if with LH.
If YYZ-FRA were with AC, this leg is not covered, only FRA-CDG (LH) is.

But even if you have a Community carrier like LH, you are not covered if you depart and arrive outside Community and only transfer in FRA. For example YYZ-FRA-SIN is not covered regardless if you flew LH all the way, or say AC+SQ.
​​​​​​I was reading various forums and there are people that back in 2021/2022 received compensation from LH for cancellations of flight from a non EU airport via Frankfurt to the US.
stegio80 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:00 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,593
Was it a CEFTA country, Georgia or Turkey?
hugolover is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:05 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by hugolover
Was it a CEFTA country, Georgia or Turkey?
The authors don't specify it. However, I believe that according to the caselaw EU261 doesn't cover non EU to non EU flights via a EU member state even with a community carrier.
What the regulation covers is flights from the EU with a layover in a third country even if operated by a non EU carrier.
stegio80 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:32 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: GVA
Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Posts: 762
And another strike on the horizon:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ys-2024-03-06/
Carpacchio is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.