Wiki Posts
Search

LH Meltdown in FRA 16/17AUG due to flooding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LH Meltdown in FRA 16/17AUG due to flooding

It shows how dead our forum is that there is not a post on this. The flooding yesterday caused a meltdown for Helga in FRA, with thousands of pax stranded without any accommodation.

Scenes in FRA...

It's not LH's fault there are no hotels after a certain point, but doesn't FRA (and LH's exclusive terminal) have a disaster plan to bring out the camp beds and blankets? It isn't exceptional for airports to have a meltdown, pax numbers quickly ramp up in disruption, and there is a clear legal obligation on the part of LH.

Staff told to leave and therefore abandon pax:

Pax complain of empty desks after empty desk....well that's cos they were all laid off. The robot and overseas call centres replaced them. It works flawlessly .

HKG1111, chris63, Clay_C. and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unrelated to the flooding, the day before, this pax posted a video where the Lufthansa staffer picks up some kind of fan and almost throws it at him because "you make me angry". That's at 1:10 or so. The staffer is talking around the Covid-secure screen and perhaps the screen forced the staffer to reconsider his potential assault.

Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by hugolover
It shows how dead our forum is that there is not a post on this. The flooding yesterday caused a meltdown for Helga in FRA, with thousands of pax stranded without any accommodation.

It's not LH's fault there are no hotels after a certain point, but doesn't FRA (and LH's exclusive terminal) have a disaster plan to bring out the camp beds and blankets? It isn't exceptional for airports to have a meltdown, pax numbers quickly ramp up in disruption, and there is a clear legal obligation on the part of LH.
The upper level hallway between C and B is literally filled with hundreds of camp beds to use in such cases. It's unacceptable that no one was able to help out stranded pax.

And either no one flies LH anymore or all regulars on this forum use the FCT exclusively and have no idea what happens to the normal folks anymore.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Slightly offtopic but what is the rebooking bot success ratio? I am fortunate to be rarely stuck but last time was more than happy of the Dec Munich adventure (auto rebooked for flight leaving in 72 hours, Booked accomodation on my own for 2 nights, Lufty reimbursed everything in less than a month).
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by koriobg
Slightly offtopic but what is the rebooking bot success ratio? I am fortunate to be rarely stuck but last time was more than happy of the Dec Munich adventure (auto rebooked for flight leaving in 72 hours, Booked accomodation on my own for 2 nights, Lufty reimbursed everything in less than a month).
0 out of 1 for me since having been downgraded from the HON-line to the bot.

Bot offered me unhelpful alternatives, I did 5 seconds of research and when I asked for an agent I got rebooked as I had hoped.
chris63, hugolover and koriobg like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Unrelated to the flooding, the day before, this pax posted a video where the Lufthansa staffer picks up some kind of fan and almost throws it at him because "you make me angry". That's at 1:10 or so. The staffer is talking around the Covid-secure screen and perhaps the screen forced the staffer to reconsider his potential assault.

https://twitter.com/jainabhi2624/sta...140172801?s=20
Ain't German customer service something else? Of course, they will hide behind the "don't film me" ........ laws.
chris63, hugolover and the810 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Deckter
Ain't German customer service something else? Of course, they will hide behind the "don't film me" ........ laws.
I would be curious to know happened before the camera came out...
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red_white
I would be curious to know happened before the camera came out...
Who knows, I doubt the pax (who keeps referring to the staffer as "Sir") threatened to throw something at them though. I'd guarantee they would have called the police immediately and we wouldn't see him being handed a new BP .
chris63 and athome like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:08 am

Are LH lounges open? FCL is not bad for an overnight stay
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For delayed overnight flights where pax are stuck in the WAW non-Schengen area, Basia has been known to open up Mazurek to all pax.
chris63 and the810 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:21 am

For delayed overnight flights where pax are stuck in the WAW non-Schengen area, Basia has been known to open up Mazurek to all pax.
Respect, United closes their Polaris lounges at 10pm no matter how many people is still inside waiting for their delayed flights.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by josephniezbedny
Are LH lounges open? FCL is not bad for an overnight stay
Not overnight, from FCT you would be ejected at 22.00 but at least they normally have decent Hotel vouchers at Sheraton
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephniezbedny
Respect, United closes their Polaris lounges at 10pm no matter how many people is still inside waiting for their delayed flights.
I didn’t just mean eligible pax, but everyone, if there’s some overnight delay affecting a lot of people stuck in non-Schengen for exceptional reasons.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Well , it is holiday Season, so maybe some of us are doing just that, smart traveler's, avoid FRA whenever possible, some of us seasoned LHG pax prefer MUC, ZRH or VIE over FRA, i forget why momentarily, too many Cocktails on the Beach…. Cheers 🍾
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

https://twitter.com/jainabhi2624/sta...140172801?s=20
It looks like the customer is SOL in this case, I assume that he is in the Non-Schengen area and has no access to the Schengen area and while the agent could be right saying that the airside hotel is sold out and if the guest needs medical attention, the only solution is to call an ambulance at this stage.

However, it's horrible for a staff member to attempt throwing a fan to the customer and it's not acceptable at all.
chris63 and FlyerLX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.