Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wife and 11 yo daughter lost luggage - help please!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Wife and 11 yo daughter lost luggage - help please!

Hi,
My wife and daughter just flew PBI-EWR-MUC-ATH with the MUC-ATH being on LH (Z class) , the others were United.
They just landed in ATH and found out the entire plane's checked luggage was not loaded, that is freked up right ?

She is on line behind 50 other people to report it at the airport. However, she is hearing from people they are saying 2 days, but she leaves on a cruise tomorrow.

Can anyone advise if there is a supervisor, or manager to call to get a priority on it ? There is no way they can get on a 10 night cruise without their luggage.
As 100 people have reported before her, will she be way down the list?do they proritize business class customers ?

any help or advice of what I can do here in USA to help them would be much appreciated. thx
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could fill the report out here to speed it all up

https://mybag.aero/baggage/#/pax/luf.../create-report
DutchessPDX and koriobg like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the bags won't turn up for days they should get the stuff they need now. They're delayed, which means the Montreal Convention is applicable. Regardless if they're found, or lost forever, or delayed for a few days, the maximum amount liable is 1288 SDR which is approx 1700 USD. Ignore any limit from LH for delayed bags. It's 1288 SDR end of story.

Check carefully that the bag tags were issued under each pax, especially as I note they were in J, as checkin agents often merge bags together on one pax for speed. That might mean you don't have as much coverage.
chris63 and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover
If the bags won't turn up for days they should get the stuff they need now. They're delayed, which means the Montreal Convention is applicable. Regardless if they're found, or lost forever, or delayed for a few days, the maximum amount liable is 1288 SDR which is approx 1700 USD. Ignore any limit from LH for delayed bags. It's 1288 SDR end of story.

Check carefully that the bag tags were issued under each pax, especially as I note they were in J, as checkin agents often merge bags together on one pax for speed. That might mean you don't have as much coverage.
Ok, thanks. SO they can buy new suitcases and essential items like clothes etc?
Do they then submit a claim with receipts somewhere?

thx
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The luggage will probably arrive in the next flight(s), loading all the baggage on the next flight is probably not possible due to baggage hold limitations. Once it reaches ATH they will schedule it to be delivered. I would not rely on the bags to show up on time. LH policy is to reimburse essential items, so I would suggest you family goes shopping an buys the essentials now. If the bags show up you will still get reimbursed.
chris63 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:50 am

Check your credit card insurance too, mosr of them also have lost luggae coverage.
chris63 and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
Check your credit card insurance too, mosr of them also have lost luggae coverage.
Yes, thx. I actually purchased annual travel insurance for all 3 of us, including medical and cancellations etc. I guess the biggest issue , is how can they deliver the luggage if they are travelling from port to port on a cruise, unless they can give a specific day so they can be told which port to deliver it to.

I have NEVER heard of an entire flight not having checked bags loaded, LH is a cluster fk. All my dealing with them have been crap , since booking the flight 3 weeks ago. Their booking website is so bad, you cannot even look at the seat map BEFORE booking a flight. It is a joke lol
chris63, wuzziduzziman and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Ok, thanks. SO they can buy new suitcases and essential items like clothes etc?
Do they then submit a claim with receipts somewhere?

thx
LH will cover essentials, as posted above but beyond that surely they are not travelling those distances without travel insurance ?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They can buy whatever they need. If the bags don’t arrive before the cruise that’s LH fault not your families. If it means they need to spend every penny of the 1288 SDR then so be it. Any essentials limits should be ignored, the limit is 1288 SDR period.

I’d get supplies for today and then have a plan to get the rest tomorrow if the bags don’t arrive before then.

Just be sure the bags are registered under each pax and not one, because I do understand it’s 1288 SDR per pax and not per bag.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Yes, thx. I actually purchased annual travel insurance for all 3 of us, including medical and cancellations etc. I guess the biggest issue , is how can they deliver the luggage if they are travelling from port to port on a cruise, unless they can give a specific day so they can be told which port to deliver it to.

I have NEVER heard of an entire flight not having checked bags loaded, LH is a cluster fk. All my dealing with them have been crap , since booking the flight 3 weeks ago. Their booking website is so bad, you cannot even look at the seat map BEFORE booking a flight. It is a joke lol
No longer your problem, co operate, your reasonable costs are covered by insurance & LH, which on a Cruise are considerable…. go shopping & keep the receipts

All bags not loaded is not limited to LH & unusual but yes, their IT is not fit for purpose… but you can select seats before you pay
simonoaks and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Luggage/suitcases/trolleys will not be considered essential and not reimbursed by LH (at least not 100%) but essential clothing and toiletries etc will be reimbursed. It may be that the travel insurance is prepared to reimburse suitcases etc.

It is unlikely that the bags will arrive ATH before the cruise departure tomorrow and it may very well turn out impossible for LH to organize the bags to try to reach your family as the ship sails from port to port. Most likely scenario is that the bags will be delivered to final/disembarkation port of the cruise.

They submit receipts for reimbursement to LH (online) after they return home; no need to do that now.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Luggage/suitcases/trolleys will not be considered essential and not reimbursed by LH (at least not 100%) but essential clothing and toiletries etc will be reimbursed. It may be that the travel insurance is prepared to reimburse suitcases etc.

It is unlikely that the bags will arrive ATH before the cruise departure tomorrow and it may very well turn out impossible for LH to organize the bags to try to reach your family as the ship sails from port to port. Most likely scenario is that the bags will be delivered to final/disembarkation port of the cruise.

They submit receipts for reimbursement to LH (online) after they return home; no need to do that now.
Ok, thx. I would argue the suitcases are essential , otherwise ... are they going to put 10 days worth of clothes into ? lol
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Ok, thx. I would argue the suitcases are essential , otherwise ... are they going to put 10 days worth of clothes into ? lol
Plastic bags? The way they presumably bought and carried the clothes from the stores.

I'm just trying to say that LH is likely to hesitate reimbursing certain expenses if more distant from being absolutely essential. The ultimate test is if pax would still have purchased the items regardless if reimbursed by LH afterwards. If not, the purchase is based on an expectation that LH would reimburse and pax has not acted as an prudent selfinsured/uncovered person.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Plastic bags? The way they presumably bought and carried the clothes from the stores.

I'm just trying to say that LH is likely to hesitate reimbursing certain expenses if more distant from being absolutely essential. The ultimate test is if pax would still have purchased the items regardless if reimbursed by LH afterwards. If not, the purchase is based on an expectation that LH would reimburse and pax has not acted as an prudent selfinsured/uncovered person.
Yes, they most definitely would have to buy the suitcases that LH lost. HTF can a mother and an 11 yo be expected to carry around 10 days of clothes in plastic bags? They are not tramps lol
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63

All bags not loaded is not limited to LH & unusual
I just spoke to my next door neighbor who has been a pilot for Delta for 30 years, he has never heard of a plane leaving without the checked luggage. It would not pass his balance checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.