Wiki Posts
Search

Oneway pricing in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Oneway pricing in Europe

I was under the impression that oneway flights within Europe were pretty much the segment prices of a return trip; at least this has been the case in the past 5 or 6 years. Turns out I am very wrong. I just tried to book a flight from VIE to CGN with OS and it prices 3x compared to the same segment as part of a return trip. Is that an anomaly or the norm these days?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
On my routes one way pricing is similar to the return price
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:13 am

Programs: LX HON, Radisson Platinum, Hilton Gold
I had some one ways priced about half the price of a return. But I've seen it all but haven't looked into it closely... I guess it depends on route and date?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Very interesting and at least it’s good to hear that reasonable one ways still exist on some routes. 500 euros for VIE to CGN in seems a little excessive, particularly for a random Q fare eco light… the same segment on a return tomorrow with outbound today would have been under 200 euros…
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
With LHG o/w fare is never half of the return fare. Books into different booking class or fare type. Buying 2 LHG o/w tickets always turns out (way) more expensive than buying a return ticket. AFAIK it has always been like that. Very different from SAS, FR or other LLC.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I have never seen an OS or LH o/w fare at half even same-day return let alone a longer stay return. Typically o/w is way more expensive than just buying a ticket with return months in the future.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH G only files such fares if there is LoCo competition on exactly that city pair. (Eg EasyJet ex BER)
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Noted. Makes sense (in a way; I always find it annoying that most of the time o/w LHG fares are not competitive when comparing to a return fare)
totti and appenzeller like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:14 am

Which date are you looking to travel?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:43 am

I think they also do true one-way fares on routes that they have competition from BA on as well. All four hubs to LHR do one-way pricing.
vantage03 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Glad to hear I remember this correctly even though I did not have all the details. On most of the routes I was looking for for this trip VIE to either CGN, DUS or BER there was virtually no competition except a few EW flights which are not really competition. Anyway, I find the return pricing vs. one-way quite annoying but it is what it is.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by totti
Glad to hear I remember this correctly even though I did not have all the details. On most of the routes I was looking for for this trip VIE to either CGN, DUS or BER there was virtually no competition except a few EW flights which are not really competition. Anyway, I find the return pricing vs. one-way quite annoying but it is what it is.
Interestingly, I'm flying DUS-VIE in early July and the one-way fare was the same price as the segment would cost on a return itinerary from VIE (I've checked because I was deciding between a train and plane on the return trip). 117€, booked 2 months and 2 days before travel.
totti likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: M&M,M&B,AMC,HH
Return flight cheaper than one way and business class cheaper than economy. Wellcome to LH world 😄
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by totti
I was under the impression that oneway flights within Europe were pretty much the segment prices of a return trip; at least this has been the case in the past 5 or 6 years. Turns out I am very wrong. I just tried to book a flight from VIE to CGN with OS and it prices 3x compared to the same segment as part of a return trip. Is that an anomaly or the norm these days?
yah that's been my experience as well. Generally half the price but it also depends on the route and time of year. I would think 3x is because of an event or time of year? Seems kind of high for o/w ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:56 am

I can see one way in 93 euro by Lufhansa. Let me know if you want the website name. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.