Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian Carry-on size limits in Economy - how strict on size

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Question Austrian Carry-on size limits in Economy - how strict on size

I have this bag: Travelpro Maxlite 5 Carry-on luggage with spinner wheels: Case Dimensions: 21 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches; Overall Dimensions: 23 inches x 14.5 inches x 9 inches

Official Austrian carry-on luggage policy is as follows: max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm - i.e., 21.6 x 15.7 x 9 inches max. 8kg

So the wheels take it over the overall height limit. Last time I flew to Vienna I saw lots of people with these types of bags, but I also heard that sometimes the Austrian and Lufthansa staff can be very strict. I really want to avoid checking in my bag. Assuming I keep it light in terms of weight and nicely/tightly packed, can they force me to check it in? Any thoughts or better yet recent experience with this?
Old May 15, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
They can force you to gate-check it even if it's well within spec. The fact that the wheels make it an inch or so over official max size will not make a difference either way.
LeoNYC10 and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
It goes down to how full is the flight. Fully booked Embraer? It will be gate-checked even if it's within the limits. 100 people on 737? You can essentially bring a sink on board and no one will stop you.
Fabo.sk, LEON_ and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by the810
It goes down to how full is the flight. Fully booked Embraer? It will be gate-checked even if it's within the limits. 100 people on 737? You can essentially bring a sink on board and no one will stop you.
That is if and once you dodge the agents lurking in front of security access in VIE who may want to hustle you into weighing your bag. They are, however, mostly concerned with weight and not size IME.
Purposeful steps towards security and adopting a bit of an attitude may help minimizing that risk.
LeoNYC10 likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by sw1x
That is if and once you dodge the agents lurking in front of security access in VIE who may want to hustle you into weighing your bag. They are, however, mostly concerned with weight and not size IME.
Purposeful steps towards security and adopting a bit of an attitude may help minimizing that risk.
How does that even work? The security checkpoint is shared for all airlines. I fly out of VIE all the time and never noticed anyone checking bag sizes or weight (at least at fast track).
LeoNYC10 likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:57 am

How does that even work? The security checkpoint is shared for all airlines. I fly out of VIE all the time and never noticed anyone checking bag sizes or weight (at least at fast track).
VIE used to be my home airport, I haven't frequented it landside in a couple of years.
They (used to) address passengers before the security access in OS' T3. It helped approaching (fast track on the left) from the Business Class check-in area as they (used to) hang around by the large windows towards the airfield and thus covering also the foot traffic from the Qatar and other airlines check-in walking up to security. I always kept my head down and inreased my step frequency to avoid them.
Strictly speaking I doubt they even have a case, as I believe baggage weight is only relevant upon boarding (and theoretically one could shed weight between security and the gate).
Old May 17, 2023, 3:16 am

VIE used to be my home airport, I haven't frequented it landside in a couple of years.
They (used to) address passengers before the security access in OS' T3. It helped approaching (fast track on the left) from the Business Class check-in area as they (used to) hang around by the large windows towards the airfield and thus covering also the foot traffic from the Qatar and other airlines check-in walking up to security. I always kept my head down and inreased my step frequency to avoid them.
Strictly speaking I doubt they even have a case, as I believe baggage weight is only relevant upon boarding (and theoretically one could shed weight between security and the gate).
or, more likely, increase the weight at one of the duty free shops.

British Airways allows for a 23kg overhead item, by the way. they can't expect everyone to adhere to stupid low 8kg limit.
Old May 17, 2023, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
or, more likely, increase the weight at one of the duty free shops.

British Airways allows for a 23kg overhead item, by the way. they can't expect everyone to adhere to stupid low 8kg limit.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say.
Old May 17, 2023, 4:15 am

Thank you, I've never noticed that! But I am usually approaching from the "premium" check-in area so that may be why.

It's definitely a weird approach since there are plenty other airlines flying out of T3.
Old May 18, 2023, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Sorry that I forgot to mention that - but this is for the long haul flight from JFK to Vienna and back on 767-300ER (both legs).
Old May 19, 2023, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by LeoNYC10
Sorry that I forgot to mention that - but this is for the long haul flight from JFK to Vienna and back on 767-300ER (both legs).
You should not have an issue on the transatlantic.
LeoNYC10 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.