Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know why OS87 VIE-JFK 12MAY diverted to BFS?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2023, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Anyone know why OS87 VIE-JFK 12MAY diverted to BFS?

Friends are supposed to be on 88 tonight but their plane ain't here.
(shrug)

Hoping to get them a hotel room and taxis covered, but would love to know the reason for the diversion to see if they can call it extraordinary/exempt from EC261.

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Friends are supposed to be on 88 tonight but their plane ain't here.
(shrug)

Hoping to get them a hotel room and taxis covered, but would love to know the reason for the diversion to see if they can call it extraordinary/exempt from EC261.

Thanks!
No matter the reason for the divert, duty of care always applies.
the810 likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Never can keep this straight.... Do "extraordinary circumstances" not mean they can deny reimbursement?

Thanks though....they're going to need to spend anyway and will just have to make the claIm.

Amazing that 5 hours after the inbound aircraft landed in BFS the app and LH telephone support still show the flight as on time.
Old May 12, 2023, 10:32 pm

I guess OS has either put all the passengers in a hotel in BFS yesterday or rebooked them on other flights, as the aircraft is still there. They sent an A321 overnight from VIE that has landed in BFS at 4:00AM and is due to depart back to Vienna at 5:45AM - I guess either to bring the passengers back, bring new crew or engineers/spare parts. All just speculation though.

A321 flight:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...e-lbf#3043b491
Old May 12, 2023, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I think the OP was inquiring about the pax in NYC for the return flight to VIE.

Yes the duty of care also applies for these pax and reasonable expenses should be reimbursed by OS. As for hotel pax would need to inquire with the airport staff first whether OS will book hotel/provide vouchers etc before making reservations on their own. If living in NYC area go home once it is clear that you will not be able to travel to tonight
Old May 13, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: QF WP
Hopefully this means something to someone

Comments:

DOOS87/12MAY
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * OS 87 -1 FR 12MAY23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

VIE AIRCRAFT FORCED TO RETURN
FLIGHT CANCELLED 0100
D/T MED DIV ON MAY12TH
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* OS 87 -1 FR 12MAY23 ASM
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
VIE 1630 FR JCDZP/MS G/M 76W 9:35
EN/M YBMUH/MS
QVWS/MS TLK/M
JFK 2005 FR 9:35
COMMENTS-
1.VIE JFK - DEPARTS TERMINAL 3
1.VIE JFK - DEPARTS TERMINAL 3
2.VIE JFK - ARRIVES TERMINAL 1
3.VIE JFK - CHECK-IN /AUSTRIAN STAR ALLIANCE TERMINAL 3
4.VIE JFK - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.VIE JFK - SECURED FLIGHT
6.VIE JFK - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
7.VIE JFK - PLS INFO PAX RE MANDATORY SUBMISSION OF ALL
8.VIE JFK - BOOKING DATA TO U.S AUTHORITIES PRIOR DEP
9.VIE JFK - SSR DOCS DOCO DOCA CUSTOMS INFO RQSTD BY LAW
10.VIE JFK - PLS ADD PAX MOBILE CTC FOR IRREG COMMUNICATION
11.VIE JFK - C24E30M157
12.VIE JFK - CO2/PAX* 389.24 KG ECO, 778.48 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
76W C 24 E 30 M 157
>
Old May 13, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: LH HON
Diversion for medical reasons. Then probably something went wrong with ground handling at BFS as the crew shouldn’t time out just because of that usually
wrp96, worldclubber and nancypants like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by nancypants
Hopefully this means something to someone
FLIGHT CANCELLED 0100
D/T MED DIV ON MAY12TH

This means that duty of care applies, but most likely no EU261 payments, as the reason for the cancellation was "caused by extraordinary circumstanceswhich could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken." At least that is what OS is going to say.

One could argue that they could have ferried an empty plane to JFK to avoid the cancellation of the return flight, but that would be kinda unfair and probably not successful.
chris63, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium

Guess what my flight is? 😂

Yesterday I checked this and the plane had a completely different set of flights (VIE-HAM-VIE) before CHQ. I guess a lot of the planes had their schedules changed because of this disruption. 2hr delay for me now. They claim we will get there in just under 2hr late, but I hope not so I can claim my own EU261 now 😉
Old May 13, 2023, 4:17 am

OS87 might have extraordinary circumstances due to the medical. OS88 not according to the established case law of the ECJ. The onward flight BFS-JFK was not performed due to an overweight landing which is technical, moreover, OS had sufficient time, for example, to procure a wet lease for the return flight.
The same applies for OS87/88 the day later which was also cancelled.
MasterGberry likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by worldclubber
FLIGHT CANCELLED 0100
D/T MED DIV ON MAY12TH

This means that duty of care applies, but most likely no EU261 payments, as the reason for the cancellation was "caused by extraordinary circumstanceswhich could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken." At least that is what OS is going to say.

One could argue that they could have ferried an empty plane to JFK to avoid the cancellation of the return flight, but that would be kinda unfair and probably not successful.
Right to Care is an integral part of EC261/2004 jut as much as the compensation payments if not more so. Right to care always applies, also in this case.

Compensation is not due per the nature of diversion.

Originally Posted by MasterGberry

Guess what my flight is? 😂

Yesterday I checked this and the plane had a completely different set of flights (VIE-HAM-VIE) before CHQ. I guess a lot of the planes had their schedules changed because of this disruption. 2hr delay for me now. They claim we will get there in just under 2hr late, but I hope not so I can claim my own EU261 now 😉
I don't see why that would have anything to do with diversion of VIE-JFK. Operational changes of assignment of planes to specific flights happen all the time. FR24 is good at this but is not always right.

Very often the shuffling of planes is exactly to minimize impact of the delay, on one side it is better to have 2x 2h delay than 1x 4h delay due to compensation payment, but also to minimize lost connections. Chania feels like the type of destination that would be heavily p2p.

Originally Posted by estrela
OS87 might have extraordinary circumstances due to the medical. OS88 not according to the established case law of the ECJ. The onward flight BFS-JFK was not performed due to an overweight landing which is technical, moreover, OS had sufficient time, for example, to procure a wet lease for the return flight.
I don't agree at all. You might have a point for the next day flights at which point OS has options at their home base (and I suspect that most pax will have been rebooked through other hubs), but not so much at an outstation. It has been found previously that if there is a exempting delay on the outbound, the return is also considered exempt, but in cases where an aircraft is late into home base, flights following on the same airframe are not exempt.

You are also right that the overweight landing and following inspection is a technical event, however due to the reason for the overweight landing, OS can't be held liable. Otherwise you are literally making OS pay extra because they did not jeopardize the life of a passenger.
Old May 13, 2023, 6:40 am
Original Poster

I was indeed, thank you.

Also appreciate the detailed info.
(My friends don't really care, but I'm the AV-geek, so it's fun to know.)

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I think the OP was inquiring about the pax in NYC for the return flight to VIE.

Yes the duty of care also applies for these pax and reasonable expenses should be reimbursed by OS. As for hotel pax would need to inquire with the airport staff first whether OS will book hotel/provide vouchers etc before making reservations on their own. If living in NYC area go home once it is clear that you will not be able to travel to tonight
I hope so but I do see the distinction <b>Fabo.sk</b> is making. They'll probably make the claim anyway and see what happens.

Thanks FT family!
Old May 13, 2023, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Good luck with that argument. It has been established by ECJ that also knock-on effects an earlier delayed flight will exempt the carrier from liability to pay compensation. The inbound VIE-JFK flight having a medical diversion, leading to a delay of the return flight, JFK-VIE clearly falls in this category.

The argument that OS should have wetleased another aircraft at JFK or ferried an empty aircraft to JFK, will not fly.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Good luck with that argument. It has been established by ECJ that also knock-on effects an earlier delayed flight will exempt the carrier from liability to pay compensation. The inbound VIE-JFK flight having a medical diversion, leading to a delay of the return flight, JFK-VIE clearly falls in this category.

The argument that OS should have wetleased another aircraft at JFK or ferried an empty aircraft to JFK, will not fly.
I also find it hard to imagine, as already mentioned above, that any judge would side with the argument that ferrying an empty spare plane to JFK would have been a serious possibility.
chris63, irishguy28 and nancypants like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 9:36 am

We will find out for sure with the passenger right agencies and financers to be involved in this case.

Condor usually uses wetleases in those cases to keep any delay below 3hrs. OS at least sent an A321 same night to BFS.

For the subsequent flights there would be always an empty leg, if you take a US ACMI or one close to VIE, this is just how wetleases work.

Euroatlantic would have been a good choice, B763 available in LIS and also able to operate OS87/88 the next days. OS chose to cancel, let's see what the legal outcome will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.