Search

Who pays for the hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023 | 2:49 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: HHD
Who pays for the hotel?

Austian: Had a midday flight cancelled and replaced by a very early morning (5am) flight, giving trouble handing in the rental car and resulting in long layover in Vienna. Flight is in June.

Called Austian, no waiting time, helpful agent and was offered the same midday flight a day later which I accepted. Was also offered a shorter connection on the original travel dates, but that did not solve the problem with returning the car. Now I have to stay one day longer in my hotel.

Who is paying for the extra night: me or the airline? Me I guess, but you never know.
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Stephan54
Austian: Had a midday flight cancelled and replaced by a very early morning (5am) flight, giving trouble handing in the rental car and resulting in long layover in Vienna. Flight is in June.

Called Austian, no waiting time, helpful agent and was offered the same midday flight a day later which I accepted. Was also offered a shorter connection on the original travel dates, but that did not solve the problem with returning the car. Now I have to stay one day longer in my hotel.

Who is paying for the extra night: me or the airline? Me I guess, but you never know.
You pay because you accepted the change
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 8:22 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: SEN***, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meli Platinum
The OP is right. As you already accepted the change of your choice and the flight is well in the future,the airline has no more responsibility.
You might wait as the airline, for sure, will be adjusting more times, in that case you will be able to change again, for free.
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
The OP is right. As you already accepted the change of your choice and the flight is well in the future,the airline has no more responsibility.
You might wait as the airline, for sure, will be adjusting more times, in that case you will be able to change again, for free.
Thanks to both of you for answering: I already thought the bill is on me, but a German consumer watchdog writes in case of cancellation more than two weeks out:

In the case of a cancelled return flight, on the other hand, an extension of the stay at the destination may be necessary, for example if the earliest replacement transport is not possible until the next day. During this time, the airline must also arrange for your accommodation in a hotel. If the airline refuses to provide you with the above-mentioned care services free of charge, you can arrange your own meals and, if necessary, hotel accommodation and travel there. You can claim the costs for this from the airline.

In my case I am not able to drop off my car at 3 in the morning at a very small local airport, so I have to take a flight a day later. Will put in a request anyway and see how it works out.
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 10:20 am
40 Countries Visited80 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Why shouldn't it be possible to drop off a car at 3am? Dropping off works normally around the clock.
Do you think you are going to be the first customer dropping off a rental car for a flight which leaves everyday at 5am?
chris63, Fabo.sk and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
Why shouldn't it be possible to drop off a car at 3am? Dropping off works normally around the clock.
Do you think you are going to be the first customer dropping off a rental car for a flight which leaves everyday at 5am?
No, I am not unique, but this is an airport with 3-4 flights a day and pick up and drop off are by appointment. So people have done so for sure, but handing in the car that early was a hassle according to the chatbot and it would have meant a change in rate as the rental period would be shorter.
In addition I am not enthousiastic to leave the hotel at 2.30 am, check in around 3.00 am and so shortening my hotel night substantially and leave without breakfast. First world problems, of course. On the other hand I why should I be inconvenienced by an incidental flight change. When I rebooked I remarked that I had to stay a night longer and the answer was: no problem. My question here was: no problem for whom.

Edit: the cancelled flight is again available on the Austrian website. :-(

Last edited by Stephan54; Feb 10, 2023 at 11:24 am
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 11:51 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
By the letter of law, OS has a contract with you to transport you from A to B. How you get to A in time for the flight is not OS' problem. If OS is rescheduling their flight well in advance, they have to provide you an alternative or you can cancel the flight without penalty. OS has done this. You accepted the proposed alternative. How you get there at the next day is your problem.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by athome; Feb 10, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 1:26 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ , QF , MK

What did your travel insurance provider say when you asked them ?
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
What did your travel insurance provider say when you asked them ?
Nothing, as I did not contact them (CC company). I keep that for larger claims, as only two claims a year are accepted. I do not really care about the money, but do not like the inconvenience.
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
By the letter of law, OS has a contract with you to transport you from A to B. How you get to A in time for the flight is not OS' problem. If OS is rescheduling their flight well in advance, they have to provide you an alternative or you can cancel the flight without penalty. OS has done this. You accepted the proposed alternative. How you get there at the next day is your problem.
As I said before, it was just a neutral question and cancelling the flight is no option.

Still not sure what my rights are when they re-instate the flight.

Last edited by Stephan54; Feb 10, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 10, 2023 | 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
As I said before, it was just a neutral question and cancelling the flight is no option.

Still not sure what my rights are when they re-instate the flight.
If the flight has been reinstated, you can ask to be put back on it
Stephan54 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023 | 1:30 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Nothing, as I did not contact them (CC company). I keep that for larger claims, as only two claims a year are accepted. I do not really care about the money, but do not like the inconvenience.
Very bad policy, hopefully it's cheap.

As others say, well in advance flight change, you accepted, no payment due from the airline.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023 | 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Very bad policy, hopefully it's cheap.

As others say, well in advance flight change, you accepted, no payment due from the airline.
Thank you. It is Amex: not a cheap card but somewhat restricted. The few times I needed them (smashed Leica because of a fall or delayed flight) they were helpful and paid out. So no complaints.

I do understand the rules, so I rebooked. Was just curious whether inconveniencing a passenger has no consequences for an airline if cancelled more than 14 days out. Clearly the answer is No. It is, as it is.
Old Feb 11, 2023 | 9:10 am

It sounds like EU261 applies. If yes, OS has to pay for the hotel.

Art. 5 1. (b). in conjunction with Art. 9 1. (b) of EU261

Of course, it‘s likely, that OS won‘t be happy to pay for the hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2023 | 9:53 am

Originally Posted by thbe
It sounds like EU261 applies. If yes, OS has to pay for the hotel.

Art. 5 1. (b). in conjunction with Art. 9 1. (b) of EU261

Of course, its likely, that OS wont be happy to pay for the hotel.
No. These paragraphs can only be enforced, if the cancellation is happening less than 14 days before the flight. This is not the case here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.