Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live Lobsters as Carry On?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Live Lobsters as Carry On?

Does anyone have any experience with taking live lobsters as carry on? I know it won't be a problem with TSA in Boston as long as the lobsters are packed right. They are used to it. But what about Lufthansa. I'll be changing plane in Munich, and I might have to go through security again there, too. I bet they don't see as many lobsters. My final destination is Romania. In 15 years of going in and out of Romania, they haven't checked my luggage once, so I know customs in Romania won't be a problem.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
You wont go through security in MUC, originating in USA, as to wether its legal to import Lobsters from USA into EU is a different matter & your right, my bags never got checked entering Romania, an issue the EU is not entirely happy with.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
According to the Regulations, in terms of personal consignment, no live fish are permitted to travel with you into the EU, period. They need to be eviscerated (disembowed) or prepared/processed or they need to be your certified/approved pet.

From the EU website:

"If traveling to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey. Restricted quantities of fish or fish products are also allowed" which is then defined as "eviscerated fresh fishery products, or prepared or processed fishery products" - 20 kg or 1 fish (whichever weighs most).

Even if you tried to argue the case as "But they're my pets!", you'd need to lie through your teeth AND also provide hardcopy veterinarian certification on them.

But if you'd like to negotiate with the Customs Office at the Munich Airport and see if there's a way to get around it (an import license of some sort, for example), here you go:

Bayerische Kontrollbehörde für Lebensmittelsicherheit und Veterinärwesen - Grenzkontrollstelle Flughafen München -
Südallee 17
85356 Flughafen München
Tel.: +49 (0)89 97 590 390
Fax: +49 (0)89 97 590 396
E-Mail: [email protected]

Last edited by Grog; Jan 19, 2023 at 6:12 pm
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
OP will not go through customs in MUC, but in OTP / Romania.
chris63 and AirborneLocksmith like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:54 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by airoli
There is a customs checkpoint for transit passengers and carry on after passport control in T2. It's not staffed on a regular basis, but the OP could be subject to a random check while transiting MUC. How likely that is - who knows.
Grog and AirborneLocksmith like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:11 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by airoli
Still, the OP's assumption that this may be within the vicinity of legal is still very entertaining.

What's next? Live ammo? Charged sodium sulfur batteries?
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
An emotional support lobster.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weero
What's next? Live ammo? Charged sodium sulfur batteries?
Weero's infamous budgie(s)??
NewbieRunner likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 5:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Mr Pinchey comes to mind:

Grog and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:31 am

Most importantly and jokes aside, do not forget to let us know if either you or the lobsters get grilled. In the spirit of good flyertalkerism, here's hope for the latter option...

G
chris63 and LEON_ like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My concern would be how long the lobsters had been out of water. Bearing in mind that it will have been at altitude which may or may not play a part in this. Will you know how long they will have been packed before all this?
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My concern would be how long the lobsters had been out of water. Bearing in mind that it will have been at altitude which may or may not play a part in this. Will you know how long they will have been packed before all this?
They can live a very long time out of water if cared for & kept hydrated & not allowed to dry out, hopefully LH will provide a special meal, they probably would enjoy Tasting Heimat more than i do….
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Most importantly and jokes aside, do not forget to let us know if either you or the lobsters get grilled. In the spirit of good flyertalkerism, here's hope for the latter option...

G
Thermidor for me, please
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Right, would be against the OP’s Human rights to confiscate & that’s sacrosanct in EU.
weero, AlicorporateUK and LEON_ like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by chris63
They can live a very long time out of water if cared for & kept hydrated & not allowed to dry out, hopefully LH will provide a special meal, they probably would enjoy Tasting Heimat more than i do….
I would have thought 48 hours absolute max. I'm sorry but I do not know what Tasting Heimat is - this was my first time ever bei Lufthansa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.