Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Winter Weather Cancellations - what to do??!! [irreg rebooking; EU261 rights etc]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Weather Cancellations - what to do??!! [irreg rebooking; EU261 rights etc]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

So after 11 months in the planning, one of the (many) things that could go wrong has happened 4 hours before the flight was due to leave.

I get that snow happens. I had been following my aircraft from FRA to WRO and back and saw a delay of 40 mins. but then I get the text saying the 6.15pm flight LCY-FRA is cancelled. Even the earlier 5.15pm has also been cancelled (so at least I can't beat myself up for not trying to get on that one).

The text says they will be in touch with a solution. 1hr later nothing. I've tried calling the UK number and it doesn't even get a ringing or engaged tone, just disconnected. I called the DE number and got a recorded message saying they have switched off calls.

I tried the virtual assistant and I think my booking blew it's fuse as it said no alternative flights. I've opted to talk to a live agent and have gone from 165 in the queue to 110 about 30 mins. But it hasn't moved for the last 20 mins.

What are my options? My flight was LCY-FRA-SIN with Lufthansa and then SQ onto Australia. I had exit row seats on FRA-SIN paid for. Will they be able to get me out there on another carrier? I want to keep the return leg as is even if they send me out with someone else. I have big family celebrations to attend, apart from Xmas so I really want to get out there and not cancel the trip.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
MAN - MUC cancellation/ rebooking/ delay - appropriate EC261 compensation question

Had the misfortune to be booked on LH2501 MAN-MUC on 10th of December 2022.

Due to snow and the complete incompetence shown by Manchester Airport in dealing with it, our flight scheduled to depart at 10:55, was first delayed and then cancelled at 10:14.
Check in desk staff were completely useless and provided no relevant information.
It transpired that we had automatically been rebooked on a flight routed via FRA, which would involve an overnight there, before a flight “very early “ the following morning to MUC.
Went outside the terminal (no mobile signal or functional Internet inside terminal), contacted LH directly and was rebooked on the next direct LH flight (LH1505) due to depart at 17:40.
Check in desk, staff refused to let us drop bags, instead they pratted around, generating a queue that snaked around the terminal and took until 15:10 for us to reach the front and drop bags.
In the initial cancellation email, we were offered a voucher to the value of £9, but which was only valid airside!!!!
We had to purchase our own refreshments as we were unable to use said voucher until clearing security after 15:30.

LH2505 was then also delayed, arriving at 23:30 some 3 hours later than scheduled, giving us a total delay of around 10 hours.
By the time we had collected luggage it was after midnight and we found that S Bahn to our Hotel on Rosenheimer Straße had finished for the night (due to a power issue) and ending up getting a taxi costing €110.

I know we are eligible for compensation under EC261, but unsure of what for;
Original flight cancellation?
Delay of over 10 hours for an approx 1200km flight?
Both?
Taxi from Airport?

Any suggestions please?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There are severe weather disruptions at FRA today (and at LCY earlier this week). You need to get in touch with LH to get rebooked. LH can and will rebook you in situations like this; maybe even on the direct SQ flights from LHR. Qantas to Australia ex LHR may also be an option if seats available (provided that your ticket is all the way to Australia of course). You should do the research yourself, try find possible flights with availability to SIN (or to Australia if under the same ticket) so you can suggest specifik flights to the agent that you talk to. As a last resort you go to LCY or LHR to get rebooked there as the ground staff has much more leeway to rebook than call center agents.

Don't worry about your return flights; will not be cancelled or rebooked unless you ask for it.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The severe weather disruptions at MAN last weekend is def. extraordinary circumstances and means that no compensation for delay is due under EU reg.

The expenses incurred should be reimbursed by LH under the duty of care if you submit the receipts etc to LH on the webpage. It will take several weeks though so be patient.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks SK AAR. Yes, my ticket is all the way to Oz and back, all booked via LH.

I have looked at options on SQ and prices are ££££ but I assume LH would cover that, if they agree to rebooking.

I think your option of going to the airport is probably the right one. The chat has not moved in an hour now. I started a separate one via my partner's name and it has been stuck at 396 from the start. I'm just wondering how long the staff at LCY will hang around for.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dddc
I have looked at options on SQ and prices are ££££ but I assume LH would cover that, if they agree to rebooking.
Forget about the fares you see. The point is that this is invol. rebooking which means that rebooking is free of charge even if the new ticket is much more expensive than what you paid. As long as there are seats in the same cabin (Economy class if your ticket is in Economy; you will not get upgraded to business class) - the new booking class and fare is not important.

Try to call LCY airport to inquire if/when staffed?
iLied likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Just got this message:

A technical error has occured.
I'm sorry, something must have gone wrong. I couldn't connect you to my colleagues. But we can continue chatting nonetheless.
Is there anything else I can do for you?

Other half is going to drive me to LCY now!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm quite sure that LCY will be staffed now. Today both LH 935 at 5:15PM and your flight LH 937 at 6:15PM are cancelled so ground staff will probably be busy dealing with stranded LH pax there already.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Someone on BA board is reporting heavy fog at LCY causing issues there. May have better luck trying to get rebooked from LHR or LGW.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Thanks, but the runway was only shut for a couple of hours and what about the delay on the 2nd flight?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. If trying to get on one of the two SQ LHR-SIN flights tonight (if seats available; I didn't check) it may be better to go to LHR to get rebooked there. If getting rebooked at LCY today/tonight you are likely to have to wait for a LH flight to FRA tomorrow (from LHR or LCY; up to you) as there are most likely no possible flights from LCY with connections to SIN tonight.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it is very likely that the weather at MAN also impacted LH 2505, i.e. caused the delay. If true, there is no compensation due. I'm quite sure that LH will refuse your claim with reference to the weather disruptions at MAN even if you try to argue that LH 2505 should not have been impacted.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Munich and Manchester both had bad weather that day. Of course you are free to escalate this (even to MCOL) but all LH is apparently on the hook for is 'duty of care', i.e. to feed you and keep you safe during the delay.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by adobbing
Thanks, but the runway was only shut for a couple of hours
which LH could not do anything about so they had to cancel the flight. Also possibly there was weather in MUC which also impacted capacity.

Originally Posted by adobbing
and what about the delay on the 2nd flight?
That depends totally on the reason for delay of the second flight. And also on the exact times, the flight was scheduled to arrive at 8:35 and according to FR24 landed at 11:23. By 11:28 it was on the apron.
So it depends whether the crew managed to open the door by 11:35. If they beat it even by a minute, no compensation.

You are definitely due reimbursement for refreshments, not quite sure about the taxi.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Here's the options for this evening London to Singapore | Google Flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.