Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold - Free Baggage on LH Economy Light

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AE
Star Gold - Free Baggage on LH Economy Light

Website says: "For HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold customers on intercontinental flights, the first item of baggage on the Economy Light fare is free of charge and can only be declared at the check-in counter."

I am planning to fly TLV to LHR via FRA. Does that qualify as intercontinental?.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
As a reference point, I had no issue having my bag checked-in at the check-in counters earlier this week for AMM-FRA (which is very similar to TLV-FRA). I'm TK Elite (Star Alliance Gold) and was traveling on a LH Eco-light ticket (i.e. no checked bags included in the fare).
romans likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

thanks
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:41 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

This PDF table includes Israel in Asia for Miles&More awards (from Travel-Dealz.de). Although LH may have separate rules for Miles&More, this at least gives you a piece of paper to reference if the check-in agent insists on a charge. I think you will be fine, though.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 2:53 am
Original Poster

OK. Flew the flights on OS. No issues. Got free checked bag. Although, during on-line check-in, no free checked bag was offered, at the check in desk, the agent did not bat an eye when i checked in the bag.

The star alliance website, is more clear about the privileges.

Got lounge access too, as usual, so that was good.
romans likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rawilliam
OK. Flew the flights on OS. No issues. Got free checked bag. Although, during on-line check-in, no free checked bag was offered, at the check in desk, the agent did not bat an eye when i checked in the bag.

The star alliance website, is more clear about the privileges.

Got lounge access too, as usual, so that was good.
To confirm, OS flights on Eco Light fare you could still check bag with *G, even though the fare would otherwise charge you?

Anyone know if this applies if initial flight is intra-europe (e.g., xxx-VIE-IAD)?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
To confirm, OS flights on Eco Light fare you could still check bag with *G, even though the fare would otherwise charge you?

Anyone know if this applies if initial flight is intra-europe (e.g., xxx-VIE-IAD)?
on a TATL ticket it will be free, irrespective if there is an intra-EU connecting flight ... assuming all on 1 PNR
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
on a TATL ticket it will be free, irrespective if there is an intra-EU connecting flight ... assuming all on 1 PNR
Let me add complication: XXX-VIE-USA but with an overnight in VIE (all one ticket). Would the intra-EU shorthhaul get charged bag fee because I assume I can't check bag through with an overnight.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by drewguy
Let me add complication: XXX-VIE-USA but with an overnight in VIE (all one ticket). Would the intra-EU shorthhaul get charged bag fee because I assume I can't check bag through with an overnight.
If it's all one ticket and it includes an overnight, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to check your bag at XXX all the way to USA, unless you request to collect it at VIE.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
If it's a connection and not a stopover it can be checked through.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
If it's a connection and not a stopover it can be checked through.
Thanks, yeah - it's a connection with a 33h connection because the first flight to Vienna from this outstation lands after the US departure takes off. Not a problem to stay a day in Vienna though! Probably don't need the bag for one night.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
This is only valid for TATL flights:

I learned this "light" crap the hard way. United states very clearly about their 1 free checked bag for *G and I messed up with the DOT rule about first marketing carrier as first operating carrier (I thought the marketing carrier is like OW so if I buy the ticket with UA even though part of my journey is with SN, UA rule applies). Check the bag calculator and if you get your checked bag free of charge, consider yourself lucky.

Basically, the whole LH group + SK don't honour 0+1=1. No free checked bag for *G even though we are supposed to have a free checked bag.

UA doesn't fly from CPH so my TATL choices to avoid this with *A are LO and TK.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Basically, the whole LH group + SK don't honour 0+1=1. No free checked bag for *G even though we are supposed to have a free checked bag.
Basically, the rule is that *G gives you AN ADDITIONAL bag on the ticket which includes a bag allowance. Zero bag doesn't give you "additional" bag, so it cannot be claimed as a rule.
However, as a sort of a good will gesture, on Economy Light fare on a long haul flight (or a booking with a connection to such a long haul flight), which normally doesn't include free baggage, LH / OS / and LO on Economy Saver will check in one bag for free for *G, provided the bag is checked in at the airport and wasn't paid online.
​​​​​​LX, at least the officially, says "no" .
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by andywaw
Basically, the rule is that *G gives you AN ADDITIONAL bag on the ticket which includes a bag allowance. Zero bag doesn't give you "additional" bag, so it cannot be claimed as a rule.
However, as a sort of a good will gesture, on Economy Light fare on a long haul flight (or a booking with a connection to such a long haul flight), which normally doesn't include free baggage, LH / OS / and LO on Economy Saver will check in one bag for free for *G, provided the bag is checked in at the airport and wasn't paid online.
​​​​​​LX, at least the officially, says "no" .
LO economy saver inside Europe honour 0+1=1. LO states this very clearly from their homepage.

I haven't started my trip with SN and UA yet so I have no idea how much I will be paying for my checked bags - SN has the price of "minimum 65 EUR" which puzzles me - and both UA and SN told me that the airport staff decide how much I'm going to pay for my checked bags.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by nacho
LO economy saver inside Europe honour 0+1=1. LO states this very clearly from their homepage.
True, and it's an exception, a good will gesture, not a rule.
And your point is...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.