Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Alma Matter High School made the News on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

My Alma Matter High School made the News on Lufthansa

My Alma Matter High School Saratoga High made the news as their band was delayed in leaving Prague due to the hot weather. Lufthansa first told them that the next available flights would be in August. One of my contacts in Governnment assisted in getting Lufthansa to get a Charter Flight.

https://abc7news.com/saraoga-high-sc...ions/12068461/

What are your thoughts on this? I think that downloading the Lufthansa Application can assist when tehre are delays. Was a charter flight warrented vs flyiing some of the group with Chaperons on LOT or other partners?

I have the popcorn and Troken Wine redy for the discussion!
athome likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: LH SEN
There are worse places to be stuck for a couple of weeks than Prague - presumably it would all be (hotels, food) on Lufthansa's dime too?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

114-120 people in a high school orchestra? All booked on the same flight? What charter did they find at short notice to take them from PRG to SJC/SFO/OAK?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by bobhope2
There are worse places to be stuck for a couple of weeks than Prague - presumably it would all be (hotels, food) on Lufthansa's dime too?
If it’s weather related, then no, it’s insurance or their dime…
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, duty of care always applies, no matter of the reason
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
114-120 people in a high school orchestra? All booked on the same flight? What charter did they find at short notice to take them from PRG to SJC/SFO/OAK?
Originally Posted by https://saratogafalcon.org/content/orchestra-and-band-students-headed-to-europe-this-summer
As of now, the tour has 438 total travelers. There will be 280 students, 14 parent chaperones and 11 faculty/staff members; the remaining are part of the shadow tour, which consists of accompanying parents or family members.

Seems not everyone made it all the way to PRG
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Holy cow, that bigger than the Berlin Philharmonik crew They (aprox 250) charter a LH B747 when they tour the world.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
Seems like the issue is that they are all traveling on Group tickets. Had a similar situation back in 2012 when I was coming back to the US after a study abroad program in France. Security personnel strikes caused our flight LYS-FRA to be canceled and it was a struggle for the (outsourced) ground staff in Lyon to do much of anything since ~20 of us were booked on a single group ticket through our University.

We had the foresight to call into the call centers and have our booking split. Some of us traveled to Geneva and others to Paris by train to get alternative flights offered by LH group.

The overall meltdown of air travel in Europe (it’s disingenuous for the article to pinpoint LH) certainly isn’t helping. Across the board flights are packed, airports are over capacity and the heatwaves haven’t helped either.

Keep in mind this is a HUGE group all going to one destination. Generally cancellation of feeder flights are easier to accommodate as on the connections passengers are going to many different destinations. Perhaps they could have split the group up and sent them via various hubs in Europe to different hubs in USA to get back to the Bay Area. But it seems like they were adamant about traveling together. And anyway, those connections would not have been convenient for all involved (but at least it would get them home).

Crappy situation for all involved, but seems like things worked out in the end.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Holy cow, that bigger than the Berlin Philharmonik crew They (aprox 250) charter a LH B747 when they tour the world.
They should ask Bruce Dickinson to bring fly them around in style... on Ed Force One.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by fassy
They should ask Bruce Dickinson to bring fly them around in style... on Ed Force One.
Unfortunately it was scrapped earlier this year.

Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:32 am

Yeah, I know... But you can just grab another 747 and paint it... keep on rocking!
MichielR likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Yeah, I know... But you can just grab another 747 and paint it... keep on rocking!
If only there were other 747 left to grab... there is one left in Nigeria and then there are some in Iran, if we exclude the -8.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Seems not everyone made it all the way to PRG
They Flew to FRA and boarded a Eurowings A330 to SFO.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
Seems like the issue is that they are all traveling on Group tickets. Had a similar situation back in 2012 when I was coming back to the US after a study abroad program in France. Security personnel strikes caused our flight LYS-FRA to be canceled and it was a struggle for the (outsourced) ground staff in Lyon to do much of anything since ~20 of us were booked on a single group ticket through our University.

We had the foresight to call into the call centers and have our booking split. Some of us traveled to Geneva and others to Paris by train to get alternative flights offered by LH group.

The overall meltdown of air travel in Europe (it’s disingenuous for the article to pinpoint LH) certainly isn’t helping. Across the board flights are packed, airports are over capacity and the heatwaves haven’t helped either.

Keep in mind this is a HUGE group all going to one destination. Generally cancellation of feeder flights are easier to accommodate as on the connections passengers are going to many different destinations. Perhaps they could have split the group up and sent them via various hubs in Europe to different hubs in USA to get back to the Bay Area. But it seems like they were adamant about traveling together. And anyway, those connections would not have been convenient for all involved (but at least it would get them home).

Exactly which is why I downloaded the Airline apps for my upcoming trip and babysit the reservations.

I also know that weather delays are not covered. In this situation due to excessive heat the flight was cancelled so how is LH responsible for flying them home on their dime? Where is the group's travel insurance policy? Nothing was mentioned about travel insurance in the article.

My theory is if you spent $5000 on a trip you can afford insurance . BTW Saratoga is an overall wealthy Silicon Valley bedroom community.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar

Thats what I proposed on the Nextdoor post. LOT via Warsaw, Swiss via Zurich ,LH to Munich or Frankfurt .

Also I advised them of EU Rule 261/2004 for delay compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.